The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Average income of a magician (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ihave
View Profile
New user
ocala,fl
74 Posts

Profile of ihave
I'm sure this will vary greatly. How much do some of the magicians who perform on TV make? Excluding Copperfield. How about local and regional magicians? Can you make a living performing magic???????????
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I did.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5942 Posts

Profile of george1953
Me too.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1310 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
I personally don't make my living from my magic. However my wife and I run a company that gose in to schools and dose science shows. This is our living we have plans to offer more things and hope they will strengthen our income. The magic is a serious hobby and with picking up the odd gig, show and busking it means that my hobby magic pays for it self. Any conventions I go to are paid from my magic.

Yes you can make a living from it. There will be better advice around. but I think you need brain storm all the possibility of way to earn money from magic like performing, instinctual DVD, creating and marketing effects, begin a consultant. Somthing like performing can also be broken down.

Hope this helps take care
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
981 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Lots of people make a full-time living as a magician. Even more use magic as a great part-time job.

Average salary isn't really relevant, but you can certainly check census data, which collects this data. More realistic is to just do some math. Let's say you work three nights a week at restaurants with a base of $150 per night and then another $50 in tips. You also work 4 birthday parties a weekend, 30 weeks of the year at $200 each. $400 a week at restaurants, 50 weeks a year, $800 in birthday parties 30 weeks a year = $44,000 per year. Not a bad part- time job.

Now you certainly can make more if you can get the work or if you charge different rates.

Hudson
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2043 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
Yes, you can make a living. You can even make a comfortable one!
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Would anyone know UK equivalents?

I would suspect given the lesser population and the more limited concern and opportunities for magic (I have never seen a working magician outside of a kids party) that it is much, much harder to make a living with magic in the UK, especially if you don't want to be a children's entertainer.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1310 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
I am from the UK and use to live in London. All I am going to say is look up how many venues around you do corporate dinner and weddings, also look at all the trade shows that happen over the UK. Also Google event organizers as well. And check out how many museums and gallery high out to corrprates. This might give you enough to earn a decent wage and keep away from kids parties.

I know a a origami artist that makes her living from corporate functions in the UK. Some of the companies that hire her regular have paid for her to go across to Europe to perform.
Enjoy your magic,

Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Thanks for the info Yellowcustard Smile

I had totally forgotten about the corporate side of things. I guess that maybe if you're in a big city, or able to travel fairly easily, then that would be do-able.

I wish I knew some working magicians so as to be able to find out the details of having a career in this field.
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
981 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
If you are looking for magicians in the UK : search, 'Magicians for hire, UK'. The first page, of the first website, I clicked on had 54 magicians listed. Start calling.

Hudson
ihave
View Profile
New user
ocala,fl
74 Posts

Profile of ihave
That's great some can make $ at it. I've heard with the economy, many corporations have cut back drastically.
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Can’t add much to the above, beyond “think outside the box”. I’ve found gigs in some place that I’d never have considered. Word-of-mouth is still your best friend!

We were talking about this at our last Ring meeting. Probably the most important consideration right now is the economy itself, taken together with the changes in how people choose their entertainment. It’s far too easy to “stream” almost any type of entertainment on demand and for low cost. A lot of performers believe that “live” entertainment (of every kind) is going to be disappearing.

I don’t believe that, but I do think there’s going to be a “thinning of the herd”. People will still crave a genuine personal experience, something they can’t get from NetFlix, YouTube, or Skype. Those performers who provide a moving, up-close and personal involvement with individual audiences will always be in demand.

There may not be as much money available for “optional expenditures”, but you should always be able to tap into whatever stream there is.
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1310 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Quote:
On Apr 22, 2014, ihave wrote:
That's great some can make $ at it. I've heard with the economy, many corporations have cut back drastically.

Your not wrong but....

2009-2010 the crumbling world market fell apart. And big companies that dint lose every thing did cut back. But what also happened was dear old Jean at reception that has been booking the same old entertainer for the Christmas party for the past 25 years took redundancy in the cut backs. And now there is a bit more cash around someone new is planning the party. So there is a way in. Yeas this is a bit poliard but its how you need to think. To run a good a business you need to show someone they have a problem and you are the solution.

My wife and I set up http://www.scienceinavan.co.nz/ at the end of 2010 and started in the school year of 2011. And in those 3 years out business as grown and grown. Were not making millions but we are making a living. And there were certain things in the downturn that helped us set up.

The 3 reasons we succeed as we have are,
1) We fill a need, All our shows are curriculum based and the style and examples we use are pretty much what the education department investigators high lighted as problems and solutions.
2) We face to face people, My wife and I both enjoy begin around people and because of that people seem to like us. We don't advertise we use contact to get into places were teacher will be. And we do walk round science or free teacher training as seeing is believing and pepole buy in to us. A lot of magicians don't get this and spend a fortune on there website but not exposing them self to there market face to face.
3) Deliver, Say what you do do and do it. This is not up selling that a nasty marketing word. Again people write amazing things on there website and not always deliver. I use to work at a place that hosted private functions. And one corporate company hired a magician. He wore a badly ironed shirt and was a bit hi let me show you a trick. But the 5 year old photo on his card showed hime very funky dressed and his web site boosted how he would take his audience on a magical journey weaving in comedy and mystery as he went.

I think you can make a living in this day and age as a magician. You just have to get sorted and go hard. And don't do what other do as a lot of them have gone bust or that's market is full. New, fresh, clean and personal is the way.

Any way just my thoughts from my experience.
Enjoy your magic,

Tree
View Profile
Loyal user
Wiggle Wiggle
295 Posts

Profile of Tree
I earn quite an excellent income from busking 3 days a week here at my hometown in Colorado.
The people are my oysters.

The market never died for our Jewelry/Lapidary business,
in fact it was quite the opposite, our earnings tripled,
and they are still increasing.

It's like Yellowcustard states
Fill a need.
Face the People.
Deliver on time.

Can you make a living as a Magi?

You said you were a Psychic, create a show that will prove it to the people.
It should be easy, If you are forREAL.
People truly love Phenomenon.
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
Got to a gig too early so wrote his
1426 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
I'd say it may be worth thinking about if you consider or market yourself as just an 'average magician'. Pushing up your price doesn't lose you work in the long run, it just changes the clients that become interested in you.

It's easier said than done though. I've found that many magicians settle for working in areas local to them, rather than deciding what client base they want and focusing their promotion in the areas that have those clients. It's often just down to familiarity, expectation, and fear making magicians settle for what they feel they are worth rather than what they want their services to be worth.

Hope this helps

Dominic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Average income of a magician (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL