The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Long island medium question? (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Who's ta say she doesn't talk to dead people? Actually, there's only a few people that really know..... And they're uhhhhh, dead.
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
Quote:
On Apr 30, 2014, geraldbelton wrote:
I think it's at least possible that she believes her own spiel.

Not possible...

I'm not saying that people cannot communicate with the deceased. Only that she can't.

If you're a mentalist and have watched her program, then you should have a clue
that it is a set up!

The only thing that she is doing is capitalizing on the grief of others.

Best,

Scott
'Curiouser and curiouser."
Bietfriek
View Profile
Special user
Bye, bye after
502 Posts

Profile of Bietfriek
I like the way they have cut the intro trailer. I'm a medium, I'm a medium, I'm a medium.....Quite annoying just like the show itself.
I do not believe. How many seances have their been to contact Houdini, someone who had a very big interest in this item and no contact.
In my opinion it's abusing peoples proces of "mourning"/"grief" (hope this is the correct translation, in Dutch it is "rouw") for a lot of money.
People are frustrated and are searching for answers...nobody has those answers. That must be a terrible feeling.
tpratt38
View Profile
Loyal user
New Orleans
279 Posts

Profile of tpratt38
All the postings have been great and good thinking tools. I believe Caputo is a cold/warm reader using reading techniques. She may give people closure which is good. People wonder what if at many things, and nothing we say can keep them from wondering. Whether it be a performance or the actual thing none of us can know 100%. I lean toward a performance, that may help people move forward. It is kinda like going to Disneyland, to support our loved ones we suspend disbelief, and go along for the ride, then you leave the park and go on with your life. If my wife decides to buy a ticket one time and it makes her feel good, then that is a good thing.

You all have been wonderful thanks.

TimZikk
Mental Threads....

Invoking your thoughts one thread at a time...

Creator of Voodoo Dowels
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1597 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
I wonder do Mediums really give "Closure", or, do they just prolong the natural grieving process.
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1597 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
I wonder do Mediums really give "Closure", or, do they just prolong the natural grieving process.
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On May 8, 2014, innercirclewannabe wrote:

depends on the medium and the person grieving...there's no black and white answer...

i know a couple of people who got closure from going to one...they've not been back since...but then again, I've heard a few horror stories too...no definitive answer...
I've asked to be banned
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
Quote:
On May 8, 2014, IAIN wrote:
Quote:
On May 8, 2014, innercirclewannabe wrote:

depends on the medium and the person grieving...there's no black and white answer...

i know a couple of people who got closure from going to one...they've not been back since...but then again, I've heard a few horror stories too...no definitive answer...

It's like anything else in life. There are good teachers and bad, doctors, plumbers, etc. There is no doubt in my mind
that mediums are no different.

The right person, under the right circumstances would be very helpful to someone grieving.

And, as in any other profession, there are sure to be nightmares also.

Best wishes,

Scott
Doc Ben
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix, AZ
261 Posts

Profile of Doc Ben
IMHO a meditative reading of the relevant verses in "the good book", can offer more real comfort that any so-called "medium". Skip the middle person,...receive comfort from the "source" directly. Smile Smile
"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain" (the original F. Baum)
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
I also agree that skipping the middle person and going directly to the source is ideal. A meditative reading of the bible might be just what some need and, relatedly, the practice of bibliomancy has long and time-honored place in tradition. I teach mediumship directly to clients, reasoning that if it is interesting, useful and/or powerful to have a medium contact a loved one for you, it is all the more so to contact them yourself. I have used these techniques myself extensively in dealing with the passing over of a loved one and many have felt powerfully moved.

I have led seances where I do various visionary and cleansing exercises followed by a guided hypnotic journey that leads to a loved one or spirit guide. I have also performed guided exercises at the end of a Q&A. There are different techniques that I find appropriate for various scenarios, but I am really a fan of Jerome Finley's "Natural Mediumship."

No thoughts on the Long Island Medium. I've never seen her show, she has a book out though that looks interesting enough (but I haven't read it).
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I dunno, again its a "not for everyone" kinda thing surely? one of the two people I know who went to a medium was also atheist and saw/sees the afterlife in their own particular way that is not religion based...

i don't think there's much logic in grief itself, there's no natural order apart from maybe listening to your body in the sense that you should sleep when your body is allowing/telling you to...

would be interesting though, to find out the percentile splits of faith that go to mediums...some religions forbid it don't they?

Leviticus 19:31 NIV. "Do not turn to mediums or seek out spiritists, for you will be defiled by them."
I've asked to be banned
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
At least certain groups within certain religions forbid it. There are always different interpretations of intent of religious statements and practices, and of their applications to the modern world.

Spiritualists often refer to their practices as prophecy and healing by the laying of hands.
Numbers 12:6 "Hear my words: If there be among you a prophet of the Lord, I will appear to him in a vision, or I will speak to him in a dream."
Deuteronomy 34:9 "And Joshua the son of Nun was full of the spirit of wisdom; for Moses had laid his hands upon him"

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

BrandonBeckerMentalist
View Profile
New user
Pennsylvania, USA
32 Posts

Profile of BrandonBeckerMentalist
As a therapist, I'd say everyone grieves in their own way and should be allowed to do so. As a mentalist, I say you have an ethical obligation to do your best to respectfully explain how Caputo is fraudulent. It sounds like you fulfilled that obligation so if she still wants to do it, you might do more harm than good if you try to stop her.
tpratt38
View Profile
Loyal user
New Orleans
279 Posts

Profile of tpratt38
Brandon,

You have it exactly right, She just wants to see what she will say. She is past hard grieving process, and it is just a curiosity. No matter what you tell people sometimes they want to see for themselves.
Mental Threads....

Invoking your thoughts one thread at a time...

Creator of Voodoo Dowels
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
I don't know if it's me being overly sensitive, and I imagine it probably is, but the lack of qualifiers in the conversation keeps bothering me.

For me at least saying "She is fraudulent" is different significantly different than someone saying "I think she is fraudulent" or "she seems fraudulent to me." Assuming that she is not using stooges, clipboards or pre-show I don't think there is anyway to prove that she does or does not believe in what she is doing. Also, if she is sincere (I'm not saying she is or isn't), then any statements as to the reality or lack of reality of what she is doing are just philosophical statements of opinion (...in my opinion).

Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
Quote:
On May 9, 2014, seadog93 wrote:
I don't know if it's me being overly sensitive, and I imagine it probably is, but the lack of qualifiers in the conversation keeps bothering me.

For me at least saying "She is fraudulent" is different significantly different than someone saying "I think she is fraudulent" or "she seems fraudulent to me." Assuming that she is not using stooges, clipboards or pre-show I don't think there is anyway to prove that she does or does not believe in what she is doing. Also, if she is sincere (I'm not saying she is or isn't), then any statements as to the reality or lack of reality of what she is doing are just philosophical statements of opinion (...in my opinion).

Courtney,

I don't think that you're being overly sensitive. You have a legitimate right to question what people are saying, obviously.

The basis for the statements that she is fraudulent, as least for some of the comments, is experience.

Where I may differ from some of my 'colleagues' is that, in my world view, there is such things as genuine mediums. However, in this particular
instance, she does not have big, blonde hair; long, manicured nails and a New Jersey accent.

Of course, I'm being silly. Those things don't disqualify her as genuine. But, if you have been around long enough, one should be able
to distinguish between let's say a Theresa Caputo or John Edwards and the real McCoy.

I have offered you no tangible evidence. But, like anything else in life, it is possible to approach an expert; provide relevant details and
come away with a plausible explanation.

In this instance, that's all I can provide.

As always, best wishes,

Scott
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Things that I think about...

if I was a ghost, and I could speak with someone in the land of the living - what conditions have to be in play to stop me revealing my first name in a clear and concise manner, AND also restrict what messages I pass on to vague generalisations and talk of very mundane and pointless things...

are there rules that dictate what a ghost can and cannot talk about? if so, what are they and why?

i also consider that if we truly have a real soul, and it survives and we move onto a different plane of existence in some way - how does language change? where do I go? what would I feel like?

so even if because of some kind of spiritual distance, or metaphysical fog, why would I - when given the chance to speak to the living, waffle on about such mundane things? I wouldn't...i'd tell them the truth about religion, what happens after you die, what the rules are...that kinda stuff...the interesting things no one knows about...

its what I don't understand about the ghost and mediumship side of things - no one spills the juicy gossip...
I've asked to be banned
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
Iain,

We see what we want to see...

I have a sister (actually, two). This particular one always attracts the same type of man. She always ends up unhappy. And then, rinses and repeats.

What does that have to do with mediums, you may ask? Simple. If one is a skeptic, everyone that you encounter will be a fake. Gullible and naive; fakes.

Genuine believer, you can probably track down the real thing.

Is it that simple? No, I suppose not. But, the universe and life are huge things. Our senses only let in so much and filter out pretty much everything else.

That being the case, my tendency would be, at a minimum, to keep an open mind (except in the case of the Long Island Medium).

Warm regards,

Scott
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
For me, Iain says it best in Metaph-Oracle:

"My personal belief is that we should move away from such heavy terms as psychic, as mystic, as medium. I believe there are kind people out there, wanting to help and believing they have a 'gift.' Just as I believe there are some unkind peole out there wanting to take your money and string you along.

I think for those that are gifted and kind, they are mistaken that their gift is something otherworldly. It's not. It's a beguiled imagination. That they have used for so long that it 'feels' like some innate gift. Mix that with life experience, with stories told and shared. With reading the news. All these things collide and mix, until that person's imagination fools its owner."

Clear, concise and, I believe, spot on. I'm especially fond of the term "beguiled imagination" for which I think Iain should win some kind of award.
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
"There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Just saying...

Best wishes,

Scott
p.s. This falls under the category of things not to discuss: money; religion and politics. Possibly
not the best place for this topic.
p.p.s. And yet, I persist. Sorry!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Long island medium question? (15 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL