The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » My boy is in trouble (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1297 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Hi guys... I know I don't engage here as much as some or as much as I used to but I want to share this here for any who might feel compelled to join in prayer for or send a word of encouragement to my family and my son. Basically I drove him up to an in-patient "residential" rehab program Tuesday morning for substance abuse (yes the big one "heroin"). Apparently it has become more popular among youth today and often ends in tragedy including death. Anyways, his name is Michael and he is 20 years old. After suffering an overdose, that almost took his life in November last year, this addiction has been hard for him to get over. The treatment team at Kaiser has been great and additional prayers and support is certainly welcome. He has been so dear to me since the day he was born, this has been just killing me inside. Thanks and blessings to any who take the time to respond in any way.

Glen
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Glen, my thoughts are with you, Michael, and the rest of your family. This is surely hard on all of you.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1107 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
Positive thoughts being sent your way. Stay strong!
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
Praying. As the dad of a 20 year old son I can imagine how difficult this is for you and your family.
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Best wishes to you and your Son Glen.

-Mary
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7392 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
My prayers for you and your family. This stuff is terrible. But do not blame yourself. Life happens no matter how much we try to do to protect them. My son was pretty messed up with some stuff but thankfully appears to be on a better path now. I know what you are going through. One never understands the term "tough love" until they go through something like this.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5010 Posts

Profile of landmark
My prayers and good thoughts go out to you Glen. I hope you and Michael are getting all the support you need and want.
Patience.
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
I'm so sorry you and your family are having to deal with this Glen. I believe there is nothing in the world more painful than watching a loved one destroy themselves with drugs or alcohol. I'm glad Michael had agreed to treatment as that's a positive step but you and your family also have to look after yourselves too. You might find it helpful to join a parent/family support group that puts you in contact with others who are going through the same thing and feel comfortable talking with one another and understand your pain.

Positive thoughts to you and your family.

Cheers
Chrystal
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1297 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Thanks to all of you for taking a little time to offer up your kind words/encouragement etc. We should be able to visit him later this week and are planning on it this Thursday. He will have a two week evaluation coming up to see if he wants to be there and continue etc. He has expressed a desire to be clean and has been very cooperative with us during this process. He also has the added difficulty of dealing with his wife wanting no part of any of this since his overdose in November and has expressed her desire to just end it in divorce. Yes, they married young, against our advice etc but they went through with it with our full support, after expressing our concerns and trying to get them to wait a bit. Poor kid, just trying to deal with a lot right now.
We had planned on visiting the Magic Castle the night of his birthday (May 18th) when he will turn 21. Also as an alternative to any temptation to go out and possibly drink etc. He was and is excited about going to the Magic Castle and I hope that nothing will change those plans but we're keeping an open mind and his "recovery" is of primary importance. As it turns out that will be the day after his scheduled release but we are reserved for Sunday dinner for 8 guests at 8:00pm and hopefully it will work out. Any Southern California magi that happen to be going, please feel free to look for us. Would love to introduce him and meet any of you that I have not had the opportunity to do so myself. Thanks again!

Glen

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
You keep fighting Glen! Everything happens for a reason and someday
this will be a part of his powerful testimony. I'm certain that he
will win the fight with such loving supportive parents.

I hope you have a wonderful evening at TMC.
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3726 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Bless you & strength to all of you. I'm also the father of a 19-year old,& I understand your pain.

Steve
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5941 Posts

Profile of george1953
Wishing all the best for you and your son, let's hope you have the outcome you wish for, all the best from Spain.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1297 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Well, it looks like he will be "graduating", as they call it, tomorrow! We will be picking him up and having a fun filled weekend, culminating with dinner and magic at The Magic Castle Sunday evening! He turns 21 on Sunday the 18th. We have been able to visit on Thursday night family groups during this time and are encouraged with where he is mentally and spiritually right now. One thing that really made a lot of sense, that another parent offered, was "no one is really ready (to stay clean & sober) until THEY are ready". Doesn't matter how many meetings, how many relapses, or how badly others want it for them etc. And we just like this other dad in the room, hope and pray that our kids will stay clean but they got to want it and want it now. It's a horrible thing to go through and I feel so hypocritical so much of the time while going through all of this "stuff" with my son because of all of the crap I did back when I was younger, even much younger than he is. Although I really don't remember hurting anyone or putting parents or family through turmoil during my stoner time. They were all getting high too (except for my dad he took off after they got divorced, did his own thing), our house was one of those party houses. Everyone came over to get loaded and have a good time. So, it's just weird for me sometimes when I try to analyze my feelings and stuff. But I do love my son so much and have always been in his life and spent a lot of time with both my kids I just hate the uncertainty in all of this. But moving forward and looking forward to better days and times ahead.

Glen

General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
I know it's a bit late for my response. Sounds like you have been having a rough time with your son. I hope everything is well with both you and your son. Drugs are a serious problem it seems with a lot people. My best wishes to your family and that your son overcomes his addiction.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1297 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Thanks for your thoughts. It seems heroin is making a big comeback and many of our youth today are in trouble with this stuff including having their lives cut short. It's a tragedy for all involved.

Glen

P.S. - My son has been in a 1 year program since early July. It hasn't been easy for any of us but we are constantly thankful he is doing so much better and not in danger. We visit him every weekend, in a few weeks from now he will get off-site visits and eventually overnight stays. But we are taking it day by day.

Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Thanks for the update Glen,

Still sending best wishes and supportive thoughts for you both.

-Mary Mowder
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1297 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Thank you Mary, it's very much appreciated!

JBSmith1978
View Profile
Veteran user
NY
342 Posts

Profile of JBSmith1978
Sucks, Best of the best.

Just watched this the other day. Maybe watching it will help your boy.

http://www.johnnywinterdownanddirty.com/
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10726 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Glen I know the feeling , my prayers are with you
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
I'm so sorry to read of your son's troubles, Glen. My heart is with you and your family. Take care.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » My boy is in trouble (9 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL