The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Die Box Slide (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2203 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
I just purchased this all wood die box and I was told it had the sliding sound feature...I received it and I hear no audible sound when I tilt the box... I see on the inside a groove channel filled with wood and sanded... Is there a difinitive way to be activate this feature or even find out for sure it has it...I was told this box has been sitting on a shelf for years...maybe it stuck... I would appreciate your help with this.
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
If the weight is made of steel, there is a good chance it has rusted and is stuck.

Photos?
~michael baker
The Magic Company
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2203 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
I will try to send you some photos...do you think it can be freed up if stuck?
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Hard to say unless you can get into the slide groove. I've seen some boxes where you could, but more where you can't.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2203 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
I don't think you can get into the groove slide ...but I will look closer
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
It may end up that you have a silent Die Box. That is not a terrible thing, as you can bone up on your mime skills with the tip, tilt, slide, fake-out thing. Trust me, the kids will still bite, even if you are working for a roomful of hearing-impaired folks. Besides, in a roomful of screaming kids, how many do you think actually hear anything from the box?
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3329 Posts

Profile of Julie
There's a blue "collector's" die box with a yellow die similar to a Rubik's Cube look (like the Mikame' design) that comes brand new out-of-the-box with no weight built in.

Julie
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8170 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Yeah! Over the years, I've owned a half dozen douse boxes. They all had "sliders". But, as Michael just noted, I seriously doubt that anyone could hear past the first row--if then.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5945 Posts

Profile of george1953
I have one over 80 years old, bought it 30 years or more ago. It has a really loud sound, its a bit worse for wear now but I wouldn't change it. The modern versions just don't seem to have anywhere near the same quality.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
radamwarner
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
166 Posts

Profile of radamwarner
Does anyone know the history of the venerable Die Box? I have yet to try to make one.
radamwarner
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
166 Posts

Profile of radamwarner
PS Has anyone ever used a lead fishing weight for a Die Box slide?
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Lead is too soft. Use a very large brass washer... no rust, loud clunk.

Somewhere out there in magicland is a Die Box I made a long time ago that has a five dollar slot machine coin for the weight! Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
2982 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Quote:
On May 18, 2014, radamwarner wrote:
Does anyone know the history of the venerable Die Box? I have yet to try to make one.


Today's four door "Sucker Die Box" was invented by English magician-ventriloquist Alexander Davis c. 1886. Davis sold his manufacturing rights to Otto Maurer who first marketed it in 1887 as the "Most Wonderful Dice Trick".

In my opinion, the best of these requires no sliding weight which, no matter what others say, never convinces me I am hearing the die slide back and forth. Instead, the best sound illusion comes from the ones in which the die itself actually slides back and forth making the most convincing sound. Of course, that eventually requires at least one face of the die to be repainted on a regular basis as it wears down from all the sliding, but even that giveaway can be a subtle illusion of trickery in the sucker plot.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On May 19, 2014, jimgerrish wrote:


In my opinion, the best of these requires no sliding weight which, no matter what others say, never convinces me I am hearing the die slide back and forth. Instead, the best sound illusion comes from the ones in which the die itself actually slides back and forth making the most convincing sound. Of course, that eventually requires at least one face of the die to be repainted on a regular basis as it wears down from all the sliding, but even that giveaway can be a subtle illusion of trickery in the sucker plot.


To take that another step, there is also a Die Box design in which there is a separate sliding shell, into which the block shell fits. Both slide in unison. The extra sliding piece never leaves the box, so therefore never needs to be re-painted due to the scuffing issue. It's a rather clever idea, I think.

Boxes where just the block shell slides can be used for sucker "peek" subtleties (similar to the Shenanigan style, although they are mechanically different). The double shell idea gives the impression that there remains a solid wall dividing the two chambers. Both have their own advantages.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3329 Posts

Profile of Julie
This last set-up Michael mentioned (the separate sliding shell that stays inside the box) was a design of one the early National Magic Co. Die Boxes. It might even go back further than that.

Julie
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On May 19, 2014, Julie wrote:
This last set-up Michael mentioned (the separate sliding shell that stays inside the box) was a design of one the early National Magic Co. Die Boxes. It might even go back further than that.

Julie


It is in Ponsin on Conjuring dated from mid 1800s.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3329 Posts

Profile of Julie
Yep, that's further... Smile

Julie
bstokes
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of bstokes
Quote:
On Apr 25, 2014, Michael Baker wrote:
It may end up that you have a silent Die Box. That is not a terrible thing, as you can bone up on your mime skills with the tip, tilt, slide, fake-out thing. Trust me, the kids will still bite, even if you are working for a roomful of hearing-impaired folks. Besides, in a roomful of screaming kids, how many do you think actually hear anything from the box?


I agree. I have never had a kid yell, "It's on the other side, I heard it go!" It's always "It's on the other side, you're tilting it!" The visual is what they follow.
wa-na-be
View Profile
Veteran user
354 Posts

Profile of wa-na-be
I have one that has no slide mechanism. I prefer the sound of a block moving back and forth so I routed a slot in a thin piece of would cut to the same dimensions as the bottom of the die box. Like Michael said in a previous post I used a heavy piece of brass for the slide.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3387 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Quote:
On May 19, 2014, Julie wrote:
This last set-up Michael mentioned (the separate sliding shell that stays inside the box) was a design of one the early National Magic Co. Die Boxes. It might even go back further than that.

Julie



I have one of the original National Magic Co. Die Boxes. Still works like a charm.

FWIW
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Die Box Slide (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL