The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Modern Coin Magic (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5180 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
If you don't already own this great DVD 4 disc set by Ben Salinas, it is on sale this weekend only http://salinasmagic.blogspot.com/2014/04......alf.html

and if you don't already read the blog... What are you waiting for??? it's FREE
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8803 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I second, and even third this motion. Smile

Wonderful set of Coin Magic DVDs from just a great guy and magician…And yet again at a ridiculously wonderful price, too. Smile

This is exactly why you should check his magic blog each and every day. Smile

-Mb
*Check out my latest: The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Tom the Enchanter
View Profile
New user
Dallas, TX
34 Posts

Profile of Tom the Enchanter
I third, or fourth this motion. In terms of what you get for your bucks, I am not sure there is a better value when it comes to instructional coin magic DVDs.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2774 Posts

Profile of John Long
The Magic warehouse has had this set on sale for $20 for at least a year.

http://themagicwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/fin......%20MAGIC

This is a good set, but potential buyers should be aware that it has none of the extra material from the New Modern Coin Magic, nor does it have all of the material in the original/Dover edition. (at least I can't find "Routines" chapter. Please let me know if I'm wrong!)

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Tree
View Profile
Loyal user
Wiggle Wiggle
295 Posts

Profile of Tree
It's on Amazon for $17 + shipping, cheapest price on the net.
CarpetShark
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of CarpetShark
I can't say enough about how much Ben's DVDs have helped me. Yes there are many great DVDs out there, but I find myself going back to Modern Coin Magic almost daily! Hint: copy the dvd to your hard drive, then convert them to avi's. This makes it much easier to find that particular move or routine.

Had no idea they were so inexpensive on Amazon! Get this set, you will not be disappointed.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8803 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On May 2, 2014, John Long wrote:

This is a good set, but potential buyers should be aware that it has none of the extra material from the New Modern Coin Magic, nor does it have all of the material in the original/Dover edition. (at least I can't find "Routines" chapter. Please let me know if I'm wrong!)

John

Well, nothing can be everything, but Ben's set is pretty close. Smile
*Check out my latest: The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5180 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On May 4, 2014, Mb217 wrote:
Quote:
On May 2, 2014, John Long wrote:

John

Well, nothing can be everything, but Ben's set is pretty close. Smile

Even being the same set at the same price, if you buy from Ben, it supports him as a creator / contributer of our art (as well as an active member of the Café). Nothing against supporting the ol brick and mortar but I would rather have bought it direct from Ben if I didn't already have the set. Although, this is a moot point now as it was a weekend sale (from Ben, unless he wishes to continue it)

As far as the MagicWarehouse, both as a brick and mortar and an internet site - they are top notch. Back in the day, they were one of the few that carried Johnson Brand "real silver" sets Walkers and 64 Kennedys. In all the various gaffs (and still care several). I spent a fortune there way back when and still have (and use them today)(Almost 20 years later). Their prices have always been great and their sales - even better.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7039 Posts

Profile of bowers
I have it also.A killer set of learning dvd's.
I learn faster watching it performed then visual
diagram's from a book.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8803 Posts

Profile of Mb217
There is no doubt that DVDs have greatly improved the learning curve as to magic. Showing one the way as opposed to it simply (or oftentimes "not so simply") Smile explaining it in a book, is a better way to learn something, anything.

Now, I know that there are those that feel they learn better from reading it, and bless them on that for them, but by & large that is not the case for most others nowadays. Smile There are infinitely more people interested, motivated, encouraged as to magic because it has shined a brave new light on how it can be learned. You've often heard told how difficult it was for some people to understand the explanations and drawings in Bobo's. Yeah, some people pick it up quickly, but a lot of people don't, and that's OK too. They just needed another more creative form of being able to learn the stuff. Smile

Now, you don't have to hope you make it to a lecture or perhaps be engaged in a magic club to learn this stuff, and still perform it pretty well. You can pop in a DVD, or watch a lecture online, download instant video instruction, etc., all because of the progress of technology. Even great magic books themselves have given way to a new day, just check Lybrary.com to see how even the reading and access of this information has been transformed via the technology for improved edification.

Despite it still being a nice thing to curl up with a good book to learn this stuff, I think where we are now is a better place. Reading is still fundamental but so is progress…"Forward" is always a better destination in this life, as to magic, as to anything. Smile

So yeah, this DVD set from Ben moved the needle quite a bit on an old book that was a first step (or at least A step) for thousands in coin magic. It has certainly proved most helpful and encouraging, and should be on everyone's magic book shelf as required reading, or something like that. Smile Thank you, Ben. Smile

Good Morning. Smile

MarkSpitzer
View Profile
New user
WV
51 Posts

Profile of MarkSpitzer
Before I start my rant, I would like to say that the DVD set is excellent.

Rant:
Many threads here and on multiple other sites (believe it or not, there are other Magic forums, lol) have had the general theme "A is better than/offers more than B", or, "I learn better with A than B".

I assert that we learn better by using 'A AND B".

Books, IMO, offer the greatest bang for the buck.
Video offers me more "Holy Moley! I HAVE to learn that (sleight, flourish, effect, routine) !!!" moments than any picture in a book.
Relying solely on one drops out a lot of possibilities in our advancement in the Art.

I (with caution) assert that we learn BEST by using "A, B, AND C", where "C" is a mentor.
We have easy access (within reason) to Books and Videos; few of us have the opportunity to be mentored, and I think one reason for this is:

WE HAVE FAILED TO SUPPORT THE BRICK AND MORTAR STORES WHERE ACTUAL MAGICIANS ARE PRESENT.
No store in your town, no hangout, no magnet-attractor for Magi to visit and hang out.

There are no magic shops anywhere near my area. (Mike Ammar, come back to Bluefield WV, lol!)
I support magicians directly in my purchases. I have purchased directly from Nathan Kranzo, Michael Ammar, Eric Jones, Vinny Marini and others, avoiding mail-order mega companies.
When I read posts like "It's on Amazon for $17 + shipping, cheapest price on the net." I want to scream. OK, I do, but no one hears me here in this padded cell.
With respect to Magic, shopping Amazon is shooting ALL of us in the foot... a poor way to do a bullet catch.
With legitimate products, it guts the magic community. With rip=off products (like the crap ITR's from "overseas") it guts the community AND the individual creators.

SUPPORT magicians directly. SUPPORT the brick and mortar shops. BUY the book, BUY the video and you will increase the likelihood of finding a mentor who is willing to spend the time and attention for your progress.

Shopping for the cheapest price, buying copied items, obtaining materials by theft (not addressed in this particular rant), and in general going low-ball and being exclusively self-serving will not endear one to any potential mentor.
A plus B plus C works best.

Rant ends.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8803 Posts

Profile of Mb217
MS, you make a lot of good points here, and I guess I support the romantic notion you illustrate. But the craft has somewhat canabalized itself in the wake of the progress of the technology affecting the art. It's like trying to stop a brush fire. Mix in cheaper products brought about by almost everyone being a competitor nowadays (even the trade and WTB crowd here on the Café), and it all interrupt the flow of proper reward back to the creators.

I miss the old Brick & Mortar shops myself, and you're right, it was a real gathering place for the young and old, a great place to learn and interact as to the art. That said, I haven't been to one in a long while, even now and I do live near enough to a couple still in business.

Mentors are great, and I hope to be one, one day. I didn't have one growing up, hardly even had anyone else in my neighborhood I could even talk to about magic. Just had a local library with one book, that I took out and always excitedly read over and over again. I wish I had had more.

Well, now we do, and you are not alone like I was. Guess everything in moderation, but it's hard to not reach out and touch some of the things that bring magic to life nowadays. Still, your call here is a noble one, my friend, even though it is nearly impossible to close such a Pandora's box here…And it was pretty hard for Adam & Eve as well after eating that apple, as I remember it. Smile

Good talk. Smile

Wizzard
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of Wizzard
Just found this: http://madhattermagicshop.com/magicshop/......_id=3361
Great price for this set.

John
It's never the wand, it's always the magician
Tom the Enchanter
View Profile
New user
Dallas, TX
34 Posts

Profile of Tom the Enchanter
I had the same experience growing up as MB. I didn't know anyone who did magic and only had the books I could find in my school library to learn from. And I was so often frustrated by unclear descriptions of moves, as well as small illustrations that didn't illustrate much of anything. I never had anyone to show me how to actually do something. I think the best book I ever got when I was younger was the Stars of Magic book which was excellent. But even with that book there were points where I wasn't really understanding what was being described. And I don't believe that I am obtuse or unintelligent. I just have a hard time following along with a written description. But since the advent of video, my skill level has increased by leaps and bounds. I don't think there is any substitute for seeing someone actually demonstrate a move in front of you. That's why I like the Modern Coin Magic set so much, and I own the book as well. But I didn't learn much from the book until I saw the moves actually demonstrated. I agree that we ought to buy books to support fellow magicians and support the craft of magic in general, but I don't spend anywhere near as much time studying tricks in books as I do studying tricks on DVDs, because that isn't how I (or how many others) learn best.
pieaddict
View Profile
New user
UK
97 Posts

Profile of pieaddict
I've just got this dvd set. The points made in the post above me are bang on. Another good thing about this dvd is its very watchable and very well presented.
"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you."
pieaddict
View Profile
New user
UK
97 Posts

Profile of pieaddict
I have actually sneaked this in to work to practice with at lunch, however I have forgot to bring a coin.
CarpetShark
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of CarpetShark
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2015, pieaddict wrote:
I have actually sneaked this in to work to practice with at lunch, however I have forgot to bring a coin.

That could be a slight disadvantage Smile When I used to do the same thing (forget my halves or dollars at home) I'd look around for an alternative... washers, poker chips, pocket change assuming there are large enough coins in circulation, whatever. You can practice without a coin as well: working on the movements required for a routine is never a bad idea. One tip on this though, is to make sure you are not seen waving your arms around like you're working on the floating spell at Hogwarts!
pieaddict
View Profile
New user
UK
97 Posts

Profile of pieaddict
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2015, CarpetShark wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2015, pieaddict wrote:

That could be a slight disadvantage Smile When I used to do the same thing (forget my halves or dollars at home) I'd look around for an alternative... washers, poker chips, pocket change assuming there are large enough coins in circulation, whatever. You can practice without a coin as well: working on the movements required for a routine is never a bad idea. One tip on this though, is to make sure you are not seen waving your arms around like you're working on the floating spell at Hogwarts!

I ended up using my IPOD nano (the little square one). I am not too bothered about been seen waving my arms, my boss has often walked in on me air guitaring to john lee hooker
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Modern Coin Magic (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.52 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL