The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Mikame Die Box - need your expertise (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Hello All.

Just purchased from a seller & noticed the box interior is cherry red, but the gimmick die is dark walnut. is this normal for the mikame box? The gimmick sticks out like a sore thumb. Thanks for your expertise

Charles
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I've never heard of one with that big of a difference, but this is far from the first time I have heard of (or suffered) problems with Mikame products.

I did a quick search for Mikame's Die Box to see what other info or photos I might find. All seemed to lead to the Sucker Block Box (with the yellow pineapple block), so I'll assume that is an accurate description of your box, Charles.

Nothing seemed out of the ordinary, although I would imagine none of the photos were taken with the gimmick in place.

I have never made this particular style, but have been able to see Mel Babcock's exemplary version of the trick. I recently agreed to make some in an oriental style for Stevens Magic Emporium. Naturally, the interiors of everything should match. Most boxes of this style are wood grain, even if stained. If the wood grain does not match, it would need to be painted or somehow lined. If the interior were all dark enough, even if not exact, it should fly, as all attention would be focused on the whereabouts of the brightly colored block. It does sound though, like yours is not a good match at all.

Unfortunately, that is sometimes a problem when buying magic on the secondary market. Sometimes you end up buying someone else's problems, or dealing with sellers who not 100% up front about certain issues. (FWIW, most sellers are good... but, some can be questionable). This can often leave you in a lurch. It is sometimes easier to work out problems with actual dealers than with individuals.

That being said, here is what I would do. I would first check to see how much "play" there is when the gimmick is in place. If there is enough, I would consider lining the interior of both box and gimmick with self-adhesive velvet or felt. If not, then I might consider painting the same areas with a matching color (complimentary to the box, of course).

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
wwhokie1
View Profile
Special user
512 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
I have the Mikame box and yes there is a small color variance. I don't find it to be a big deal. You should never angle the box ( any version) down so that the audience can see the floor of the inside. That would leave only the middle strip visible and it is really no problem. I find that the color difference is only noticeable up close, 6 ft or less. Further away if I turn it so I can see the floor. Even at 6 ft I don't think an audience would notice it unless you hold it still and let them stare at it for awhile. A little misdirection, and they will never notice. I have performed this many times in small birthday parties and for small groups of adults, no one ever notices. As I said, do not turn it so that people can see the floor, it is not designed for that. This is not a close up effect, it is more of a stage or parlor effect. Think of it like using a blue thumb tip, if used properly no one will notice.
pbj100
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of pbj100
I have one and all matches perfectly
Phil
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
Mask off the rest of the box and spray paint it flat black. Then spray paint the inside of the shell flat black too. that's what I would do Smile
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Quote:
On Apr 28, 2014, TommyJ wrote:
Mask off the rest of the box and spray paint it flat black. Then spray paint the inside of the shell flat black too. that's what I would do Smile

Hi Tommy,

That's what I did, but it didn't turn out perfect. the shell is hard to tape & some black got onto the yellow.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Welcome back Charles. Long time no see.
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
Quote:
On Apr 28, 2014, trickychaz wrote:
Quote:

Hi Tommy,

That's what I did, but it didn't turn out perfect. the shell is hard to tape & some black got onto the yellow.

Now take a fine paintbrush and LIGHTLY dab the yellow onto the black spots you got on the shell??? A little touch up you should be fine .
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Quote:
Quote:
On Apr 28, 2014, trickychaz wrote:
Quote:

Hi Tommy,

Now take a fine paintbrush and LIGHTLY dab the yellow onto the black spots you got on the shell??? A little touch up you should be fine .

Thanks TommyJ for your insight
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Quote:
On Apr 28, 2014, wwhokie1 wrote:
You should never angle the box ( any version) down so that the audience can see the floor of the inside.

Never say never. With Cliff Wiggs' Proline Die Box, I can have a helper from the audience open it up and remove the large die. At the end, although I don't show it in the video, there will be spotted 9" silks that appear inside the box (as if the die has changed into silks) and the helper can remove them without seeing a thing. Kind of messes up the "never angle the box" theory somewhat.
https://vimeo.com/92654232
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Trickychaz,
I am sorry I did not see this post earlier as my solution may be too late.
The over spray you created could have been easily wiped away with typical mineral spirits.
Due to the original finish being properly cured, your new paint would have broken down easily.
The original finish will not be damaged by the mineral spirits as it is typically a lacquer base but if it was enamel base, it would be fine as well.

I typically use a Q-Tip and a small cap full of mineral spirits.
No need to use a touch up brush or dealing with trying to match the paint.

Oh, well...now you know Smile

Chance
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Mikame Die Box - need your expertise (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL