We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » First Perfomances (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ethan Lin
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Ethan Lin
Hi all, I've been doing free cards tricks from youtube but wanting to set it up a notch I'm getting a load of new tricks such as the invisible deck,torn, dresscode, rapture and alchemy. I've done and practiced DLs and elmsleys etc so I can perform for family without any hesitation for family but seeing as for medicine you need to do volunteer work I thought I'd have the perfect chance to practice in front of a new audience before taking it public and in front of friends in school etc. Could anyone recommend a trick or two that would be good and if it is even a good idea to do magic in a nursing home. I know some people do it for free (as it will be) but do you need to be a pro before doing this?

Thanks,
-EL
"Now you’re looking for the secret. But you won’t find it because of course, you’re not really looking. You don’t really want to work it out. You want to be fooled." - Cutter
Robin4Kids
View Profile
Veteran user
Lower Alabama
396 Posts

Profile of Robin4Kids
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=199
Here's a thread that has some good suggestions for nursing home tricks.
djjkarate
View Profile
New user
Always Sunny in Seattle
54 Posts

Profile of djjkarate
I posted similar in the kids section, but use physically large items so it's easy for all to see. Large size cards.. (not jumbo print) unless doing close up work..
Also colorful, and non-noisy so as not to scare anyone.... large size coins...

cheers,
don

Smile
challengedmichael
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of challengedmichael
When I was in jr. high my mother worked in a nursing home. When she had a Saturday shift I would go along and perform there and it was great experience and probably the most forgiving audience I have ever performed for.
Eric Caldwell
View Profile
Regular user
Kentucky
156 Posts

Profile of Eric Caldwell
It'll likely not be the last time you perform for the public. That means you can make mistakes and be less than perfect. Remember that because it is freeing. That isn't to say go in with something that is not audience ready. All I'm saying is that the best performances are great because they were built upon less polished or affective versions of that performance. Take notes on what you did well, what you could have done better, how your audience reacted, etc.
krowboom
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago area
415 Posts

Profile of krowboom
A nursing home may be a good place to practise your stuff but the reactions you get will be different than from a younger audience. Don't count on volunteers and make sure you speak loudly. Visual tricks are the best. You don't need to be a pro to do magic at any venue but it helps to be good whether it's for free or you're getting paid. Good luck.
Eldini
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas
127 Posts

Profile of Eldini
Disappearing Butterscotch?

OR maybe "make" butterscotch in a dove pan?...something with butterscotch.
blva888
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of blva888
Quote:
On Aug 1, 2014, Derwyddon wrote:
Disappearing Butterscotch?

OR maybe "make" butterscotch in a dove pan?...something with butterscotch.

That sounds like something Dr. Who would say LOL.
Mr. Oops

The Worlds Greatest(?)

Magician

www.mromagicshow.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » First Perfomances (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL