The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Japanese Parlor Entertainment (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1812 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyakumonogatari_Kaidankai

An interesting game involving ghost stories, a mirror and the gradual extinguishment of 100 candles.
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
That is really fascinating.

Althought I can't help thinking it would take a long time to hit 100 stories, or even 99.

Really interesting that the idea of looking into a mirror at night is connected to the supernatural in many cultures,
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1812 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
I think even six candles and six stories would be a full nights entertainment. It would be a great presentational angle.
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
Totally. And create a beautiful ending.

It would have a curious effect on the show I think. I once read a Chuck Palahniuk book and midway through I realised the pages were numbered in reverse, so they counted down to 1 on the final page. This simple tweak to the formatting meant that every page pointed to the last. The ending was suddenly present in every word.

The gradual extinguishing of candles could have a similar impact.
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1812 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
Chuck is a fantastic writer. Very imaginative, so no surprise he would utilize such a tweak to increase the anticipation.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5941 Posts

Profile of george1953
Great idea for a bizarre presentation in the right sort of venue, thanks for posting.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
One day I will die leaving behind
2424 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
Quote:
On May 2, 2014, MatCult wrote:
Totally. And create a beautiful ending.

It would have a curious effect on the show I think. I once read a Chuck Palahniuk book and midway through I realised the pages were numbered in reverse, so they counted down to 1 on the final page. This simple tweak to the formatting meant that every page pointed to the last. The ending was suddenly present in every word.

The gradual extinguishing of candles could have a similar impact.

Thanks for your insight
For as long as space exists,
And living beings remain in cyclic existence,
For that long, may I too remain,
to dispel the sufferings of the world.
-Shantideva

Engaging in the Conduct of a Bodhisattva
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1812 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
Matcult it is interesting you mention the extinguishment of the candles in particular. I was discussing ideas with my muse the other day and I had the idea of extinguishing the candles gradually and using it as not only a move towards a black out in my séance, but sneakily using it as a hypnotic induction of sorts at the same time, but one which amplifies tension rather than relaxation.
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
Nice. I know very little about hypnosis, but that seems like a wonderful idea.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3824 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Very interesting, lot of potential. Thanks.
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Thanks, for the share !
It does give great presentation ideas...
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
magus
View Profile
Special user
Huntington Beach, Ca
668 Posts

Profile of magus
If you use six candles, any smaller amount, you could alter you stories method of death
And link it to the candles.
For instance, first story, the main charter is crushed to death.
You pinch out the first candle.
The second story tells about a man who was smothered.
You lower a candle snuffed to extinguish the candle.
The next story is a tale of drowning.
You let a drop of water fall on the next candle.
And so on.
The last story mento s that the participants in the game would not extinguish the last candle for fear of releasing the spirits.
And the candle goes out on its own.
crappy deium-

what a lousy day to be seized

thaumometer-

a device for measuring a magical field
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
Ooooh. Gave me a chill just reading it.
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Magus, what if one character dies from sex ? Smile
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1812 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
Magus,

That is a fantastic idea.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3824 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Use 100 candles, but only 6 remain lit...
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Interesting thoughts all around!
Thanks Brynmore14 for starting this!
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1812 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
My pleasure Eddie, it was too cool NOT to share.
Perkins
View Profile
Special user
907 Posts

Profile of Perkins
Oh, this is a powerful frame to build something on. Adding my thanks to the list, here.

What has a more ominous approach than darkness? Each station of the candles calls a spirit until the final flame goes out and they all sit it the dark with you. Elemental, epic storytelling. I love it!

Not forgetting the mirror, though. Would love to bring out the concept of reflection. A hand mirror passed around the circle at the close of each tale? A two-way mirror switched at the final moment? Better minds than mine may have that one sewn up already...
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1812 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
I was thinking of the J-Horror cliche of a dark shadow passing behind someone as they stare into the mirror, but when they turn quickly, no one is there. Get's me everytime on the movies, even when I know it's coming, how much worse when you are IN the movie. I was thinking of the method Bob Cassidy uses in his seance notes, but updated using Chris Taylor's 3nt1ty.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Japanese Parlor Entertainment (13 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL