The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Japanese Parlor Entertainment (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5489 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
What is so fantastic to me about this premise, is the idea of audience participation. In the right venue and situation...with just six or so candles...the first 4 or 5 participants can indeed recount their own stories, which could really bring an interesting chemistry into the presentation. The same kind of safety as felt around a camp fire. And then, on the last two or very last story, you let the real magic happen. A lot of potential here. How the heck did you come upon this Brynmore14?
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
magus
View Profile
Special user
Huntington Beach, Ca
668 Posts

Profile of magus
Have candles in a tiered holder.

Have them watch the candles while you tell the story.
Two up high, slightly separated.
One, a bit lower, in the middle.
Five below the single candle, centered and evenly spaced. The length of the bottom row candles is such that is describes a shallow arc.
Tell a story of five people who died in a tornado.
Blow out the candles at the same time.
The room is dark, and the afterimage left on their retina is that of a skull.
No matter where they look...

Moo Hoo Ah Hah Hah
crappy deium-

what a lousy day to be seized

thaumometer-

a device for measuring a magical field
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1812 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
Wizard of Oz, I was searching for J-Horror, then just started looking at the influeces on this genre. I was on wiki clicking various links and then the links to these links, and literally fell over this as one of the things that contributed to the development of the J-Horror genre.

I was instantly interested as it seems to be the Japanese equivalent to the Victorian Seance. Reminded me of MR James' Xmas ghost story tradition too.

In short it was chance favouring the bizarre mind Smile
Intrepid
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, MD
989 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Quote:
On May 2, 2014, Brynmore14 wrote:
Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyakumonogatari_Kaidankai

An interesting game involving ghost stories, a mirror and the gradual extinguishment of 100 candles.

And still being played in Japan! While my wife never heard of this, another friend of ours has played the ghost story game as a kid. I'll have to ask her about this the next time we see her. I'm sure it was a simplified version, but still must of left a lot of kids unable to sleep at night. Reminds me of how we would tell ghost stories around a camp fire, but in this case, with the added creepiness of passing through a dark room to extinguishment a candle and stare into a mirror.
Bob
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5112 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
This is beautiful.

In so many places, an essentially religious practice undergoes a process of secularization. This is a version of Scrying.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
I just set my next halloween party I this concept - all guests come with a story - candles wink out by themselves as stories finish.... And some spook show antics increase as it gets dimmer until we hit the lightless seance conditions

Thanks!!!!

My littlest one says she wants to tell the tale of the ice demon witch from kwaidan.... I have a tale around the scorpion outlaw effect using origami.... Yep, and sushi will be served..... I always wanted to create a Japanese ghost event.... This was the final but I needed to bring it together (like the dude's rug)

Thanks again!!!!!
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Intrepid
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, MD
989 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
In Japan, mid-August (the 13th thru the 15th) is when the spirits of ancestors are believed to return home. I'm motivated now to start planning a ghost story telling party. It would be just one night though and a lot fewer candles (one per participant plus one for the ghosts).
Bob
Intrepid
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, MD
989 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Kwaidan from google books
http://books.google.com/books?id=6
Bob
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1812 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
Http://www.dreamdawn.com/sh/features/japanese_horror.php

Some other information that might be of use to those interested in terror with a Japanese flavor.
Intrepid
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, MD
989 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Further insight for the curious
http://hyakumonogatari.com/2013/10/18/10......stories/

And tongue and cheek ghost humor from Japan for the rest
http://youtu.be/byAfC5yW_hw
Bob
Intrepid
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, MD
989 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Quote:
On May 4, 2014, Dr Spektor wrote:
I just set my next halloween party I this concept - all guests come with a story - candles wink out by themselves as stories finish....

Spektor, I suggest you save the mechanical candle for the last one. Explaining, "However, as the game reached the ninety-ninth tale, many participants would stop, fearful of invoking the spirits they had been summoning." Then turn towards the candle as it extinguishes itself.
Bob
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1812 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
Intrepid,

Thanks for sharing those further resources.
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1812 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
What if we played a littlemfast and loose with the rules of the game. We could state that all the candles except one will be extinguished, but that the last one should never be extinguished as it's Yo (Yang) energy is the only thing that keeps the summond Ghosts from having free reign as there strong In (Yin) energy is opposed by the candle's opposite polarity. Then later when the mood is right, the candle puts itself out.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Quote:
On May 5, 2014, Intrepid wrote:
Quote:
On May 4, 2014, Dr Spektor wrote:
I just set my next halloween party I this concept - all guests come with a story - candles wink out by themselves as stories finish....

Spektor, I suggest you save the mechanical candle for the last one. Explaining, "However, as the game reached the ninety-ninth tale, many participants would stop, fearful of invoking the spirits they had been summoning." Then turn towards the candle as it extinguishes itself.

Indeed you are correct for maximising horror - just I know the 6 year olds might have fun with different ways the candles go poof (friendly spook show) - no kids I'd go seance style and agree that is best. Spook show vs seance is the key here - more thrills and fun vs terror.....

Oh, I re watched kwaidan again - I'm going to dig out my higley ears for hoichi..... And finally have that winter spirit prop for the snow demoness.(although that might be good for the tea face episode too).... The black hair not sure yet.....

Going to dig out all the old films now. - fun!!!!
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Intrepid
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, MD
989 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
I floated this idea passed our circle of friends, as it seemed like a fun way to revive the lost art of story telling. The lack of response it generated tells me that most people these days only feel comfortable in the role of a silent spectator. Sad.
Bob
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5112 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
It could make a phenomenal theater show.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Perkins
View Profile
Special user
909 Posts

Profile of Perkins
I found the print for your posters.

THE COLD LADY
https://www.etsy.com/listing/158994435/v......-warwick
Perkins
View Profile
Special user
909 Posts

Profile of Perkins
Let's see if I got this image thing figured out...

Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1812 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
Nice print.
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1812 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
Quote:
On May 6, 2014, Intrepid wrote:
I floated this idea passed our circle of friends, as it seemed like a fun way to revive the lost art of story telling. The lack of response it generated tells me that most people these days only feel comfortable in the role of a silent spectator. Sad.

Intrepid,

I think certain groups might be more responsive. I know a few actors and suspect this would be a hit with them. But in the main I agree that most would prefer a passive audience role.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Japanese Parlor Entertainment (13 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL