The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Docc Hilford's Switchblade (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3752 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Wasn't it me just a while ago who wrote a post along the line of "How many CT's do you need?" Yup. I remember now. The idea: if you have a CT that is working perfectly for you already...why do you need to invest/learn/pour time into learning something new? I've been using my own CT, partially based on Osterlind's PCT for years. It works perfectly for me in every situation.

But I was intrigued by Switchblade -- the newest offering from Docc Hilford. The advertising material said that there was no tearing...and that it wasn't so much a "pe*k" as it was a "re*d." The notion: the spectator can write almost anywhere on a billet, a flap is used to close the billet up like a small envelope...and the performer, using a move many of us with magic backgrounds were doing when we were twelve, is able to literally RE*D what's written right in front of the audience.

No imp. No swit*h. Just this very simple move that Hilford says has never been applied to mentalism before.

I was able to resist all of this for the reason above until I read Jheff's rave review. Jheff is cranky enough that I have learned to trust what he says. If it sucks, you can usually count of Jheff to tell you it sucks. So my finger finally pressed the "Pay Now" button. (The effect includes a PDF, an audio file and a video, by the way.) What did I get?

The basic method is very simple and cunningly applied to a new application. I can't say much more about this because the whole concept is based on this one thing. But I will tell you that you can probably be doing this move within minutes, once you recognize what the method is. With one additional flourish, Hilford has adapted this idea and designed a very strong mentalism technique.

You don't need to be told about the many uses for getting information from billets, right? But in case you do, Hilford's included a one hour audio discussion of different ways to use Switchblade (or a number of other CT's/pe*ks etc) -- many of which are truly inventive. There is some necessary waving around of the billet in a "nothing to see here" kind of way...but it's going to be very easy for most performers to carry this off. This is the one thing about the design I don't like.

Personally, I want the billet to disappear from everyone's attention once it's been written on. In short: I prefer to give the billet no importance at all. I don't want it paper clipped, or sealed...I don't want to draw any attention to it, which is why tearing it up works perfectly for me. I want everyone to simply forget it was ever there. (To be fair, you COULD tear up the Switchblade billet as well. It would just be a little clunky.) Ultimately, this is just a minor quibble.

As I played around with Switchblade, I realized that if I didn't already have a billet method I was delighted with, this would be a great option. Very simple...very deceptive...the spectator can write on every portion of the billet except the flap. It (probably) is completely angle-proof. And, if being able to hand the billet back to the volunteer in one piece is important to you...this is the one.

If the need ever arises for me to get more than one or two words...or a date...or a name...onto a billet, I know where I'll be going.

In short: Switchblade is another excellent release from Docc Hilford. Very clever and dead simple to use. Characteristically brilliant thinking and a novel application of an old method.

The list price is just under a hundred bucks...but, in keeping with Hilford's aggressive marketing design, it's on sale right now for $47.

I don't expect it's going to find it's way into my show any time soon...but it's a handy idea to have in my "Just In Case" files.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Jeff Wassom
View Profile
Elite user
491 Posts

Profile of Jeff Wassom
Thanks for the balanced and thoughtful review David!
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1422 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Excellent review David, thank you so much. I have made the decision to purchase (or not) quite a few products based on your detailed and thoughtful reviews.

Really appreciate Docc's outstanding marketing. On the one hand, it's hard for me to justify spending $49 to learn one peek when I already know and use several that get the job done. On the other hand, I find something (almost) irresistible about Docc's marketing...
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
Quote:
On May 2, 2014, David Thiel wrote:
Wasn't it me just a while ago who wrote a post along the line of "How many CT's do you need?"

Yes, David, that was you!

All kidding aside, thank you for the review. I already have a routine in mind...

As always, best wishes,

Scott
'Curiouser and curiouser."
Jheff
View Profile
V.I.P.
389 Posts

Profile of Jheff
Quote:
On May 2, 2014, David Thiel wrote:
I was able to resist all of this for the reason above until I read Jheff's rave review. Jheff is cranky enough that I have learned to trust what he says. If it sucks, you can usually count of Jheff to tell you it sucks.

"Cranky?" Hmm. I'd prefer "discriminating." But I certainly sound cranky when I seem to be perpetually discussing all the derivative "garbage" that is being put out by folks who think they have the next best thing when it's really just a slight variation of something from a seventy-year old publication that hardly anybody has read or that the creator has hoped that nobody has read. But then something like SWITCHBLADE or 100 MONKEYS comes along and I get very excited and my enthusiasm seems to explode off the pages of my free newsletters. I try to still be objective, though.

CTs are like N*** W******. Different methods and styles suit different people. And I completely forgot to mention that in my comments. I bring this up because, unlike David, I've never been a big fan of CTs. I actually prefer Millard Longman's A***** N****, but I know many people don't (such as Bob Cassidy). But that's my style and preference and I certainly can't criticize anyone who has a different one if it works for you. Regardless, SWITCHBLADE is something that I'm confident you will learn and you will use. You will either use this sparingly and in the right circumstances for you or you will start using this in existing routines that you can swap this for other methods. But I know darned well that you won't regret learning this. It's very versatile and one of Docc's best.

Incidentally, I went to Docc's site and can't find SWITCHBLADE there, so I suppose this sale is only for his customers. But I do have a link to purchase it right now on my site so that you can take advantage of the sale. (The link is in my signature below.)

Thanks for the kind words, David.

- Jheff
Marketplace of the Mind THE LAZY MENTALIST'S CARD TRICK is now available!!
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3752 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Quote:
On May 2, 2014, Enotskcalb wrote:
Excellent review David, thank you so much. I have made the decision to purchase (or not) quite a few products based on your detailed and thoughtful reviews.

Thank you for that. Keeps me from feeling like I'm talking to myself. Smile

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1637 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Jheff - currently the sale is only at the link we send to the newsletter. After the price goes up it hits the site. So folks who support us we support and all the others we support later. I like Switchblade. Docc originally had a different name one it. I've played with it, it works well, is practical. The routines he supplies are top notch, good stuff. The first video he released I accused him of not doing the peek. He called me and explained what was going on. I was surprised. He had done the peek and it was all there.

So a good package. A great peek. Some really good routines. Some handlings you wouldn't have thought of and more.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10475 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On May 3, 2014, David Thiel wrote:
Quote:
On May 2, 2014, Enotskcalb wrote:

Thank you for that. Keeps me from feeling like I'm talking to myself. Smile

David

Thanks again David - and Jheff as well. You guys tipped me over the edge and I just ordered.

Look forward to taking this for a drive.

Btw Jheff - no need to use ******* down here friend😃
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18253 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On May 3, 2014, saysold1 wrote:
Btw Jheff - no need to use ******* down here friend😃

this is a googlable area...only inner thoughts is free from that...
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10475 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Ya duh!

I was on my iPhone and as I get older not only do I walk into rooms and wonder why... but I now go to Café threads and forget where I am lol.

49 coming up next week - I'm afraid!
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18253 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Put your trousers back on!
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1758 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
I'm loving this little utility device...I already have a bunch of presentations and ideas for it! I might have missed this, but does anyone know when the follow up call is?

-Jakob
CL
View Profile
New user
New York, NY
73 Posts

Profile of CL
Thanks for the wonderful reviews David and Jheff. I think this is wonderful addition to the work in this area and a worthwhile purchase, however, I think that Docc is too cheeky and splits hairs with his advertising.
Still a worthwhile purchase at the reduced price, in my opinion.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10475 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Just finally watched the video - wow.

I had an inkling of what was happening before wqatching but it is actually much cleaner and more clever/easier than what I was thinking.

I am impressed - winner. Will use this for sure - thanks Docc.

BTW I love the video productions with all the 60's retro vibe, surfer grooves - kinda "reefer madness" meets the Mentalist.
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
It's another be-yoo-tay from Docc. A very deceptive, versatile and powerful billet technique.

And the 60s grindhouse/exploitation vibes are just a groovy bonus baby.
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10475 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On May 4, 2014, CL wrote:
Thanks for the wonderful reviews David and Jheff. I think this is wonderful addition to the work in this area and a worthwhile purchase, however, I think that Docc is too cheeky and splits hairs with his advertising.
Still a worthwhile purchase at the reduced price, in my opinion.

"CHEEKY" IS DOCC'S PERSONA - THAT IS THE KINDA GROOVY CAT THAT MAKES DOCC DOCC.

Persona is an important part of being a Mentalist & performer is it not?
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On May 6, 2014, saysold1 wrote:

Persona is an important part of being a Mentalist & performer is it not?

Wherever did you get that idea? Smile
psychomind
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of psychomind
Amazing review
Thanks David Smile
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1758 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
So a little more in depth review of Switchblade...first off understand that I used an old Docc Certificate and recieved it for only $25, which I am grateful for, though I would have gladly paid the full ammount. So what irratates me more than anything is hearing other performers wanting "routines"...since I was a young padawan learner just entering magic, I always loved the pieces of the routines, but seldom cared to perform someone elses in it's entirety. What we need are tools, not routines because we need to come up with that ourselves, based on our personalities and if you don't agree well...it's a matter of personal opinion and I'm not offended...more fun for people like me, but I digress...

So if the implication isn't there carved in cold hard computer code then this is a tool that can be used to create a routine and in my humble opinion, a very good one. It starts clean, ends clean, can be performed essentially surrounded if you're a seasoned performer with audience management skills and you get a full read, which I say is a total winner based on those characteristics alone. Add in the fact that it's in the shape of an adorable little envelope that you can create a plethora of ideas on that feature alone. Maybe you want to have a Living and Dead Test (one is taught in the package) or even do something normal like a name reveal...how does this tie in? It's up to you to figure out, but if I was using a tiny envelope in a Living and Dead I would reframe is as a "message to be sent to the other side" or as a name reveal maybe it's a "letter to a friend" and you can be creative to how you can push these simple reframes further to get more information.

This is great and I haven't even shared how I use it in the real world...plus it's pretty darn simple and cool to use one of the most underutilized sleights we all know in magic to make it look amazing. You might be on the fence about this, which if you don't think it's for you then that's cool, but I feel like this IS something for me and don't be ****ed if one day I fool you with it in a touching little routine. Thanks Dan and Docc for another amazing product, they are always winners!

-Jakob
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3422 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
The following is a piece of business and presentational tidbit that I've used for several years now with great success. Its appearance here seems fitting for "Switchblade" users and the discussion at hand...enjoy!

“Mark Twain, in an article printed several years ago, spoke of a plan that he had frequently practiced, i.e., that of writing a letter to a person upon some subject, then addressing the envelope and inserting the letter, and then tearing the whole thing into pieces instead of sending it. He stated that in a large percentage of such cases he would receive within a short time a letter from the person to whom the destroyed letter had been addressed, answering the questions asked, or else speaking along the same lines as those of the destroyed letter. We have known of this experiment being tried on people thousands of miles away from the writer, and also in cases in which the other person had not been heard of for many years. There is a field open for experiment along these lines which some of our students might investigate with profit and satisfaction.”- (“Practical Mind Reading”).

;)

JF.
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Docc Hilford's Switchblade (8 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.32 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL