The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Docc Hilford's Switchblade (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Quote:
I think that Docc is too cheeky and splits hairs with his advertising.

Whatever are you talking about? All of Docc's advertising is written from the audience's perspective. Meaning what the audience perceives. And isn't that all that really matters? I occasionally hear people talk about truth in advertising and that we should get back to when magic was advertised more truthfully. They apparently didn't grow up when I did. It used to be really tricky to read through an ad. I'm sure Bob will back me up on that.

That said this is a fun technique with many applications. If you didn't get to hear the free preview call jump on it. More good info in there than in most current releases. And it is free. But I am biased. Those of you who purchased still have a followup call coming and it will have plenty of helpful information.

Free preview call:

http://stme.in/rzM27dAoi

~ Dan
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
Quote:
On May 8, 2014, Jerome Finley wrote:
The following is a piece of business and presentational tidbit that I've used for several years now with great success. Its appearance here seems fitting for "Switchblade" users and the discussion at hand...enjoy!

“Mark Twain, in an article printed several years ago, spoke of a plan that he had frequently practiced, i.e., that of writing a letter to a person upon some subject, then addressing the envelope and inserting the letter, and then tearing the whole thing into pieces instead of sending it. He stated that in a large percentage of such cases he would receive within a short time a letter from the person to whom the destroyed letter had been addressed, answering the questions asked, or else speaking along the same lines as those of the destroyed letter. We have known of this experiment being tried on people thousands of miles away from the writer, and also in cases in which the other person had not been heard of for many years. There is a field open for experiment along these lines which some of our students might investigate with profit and satisfaction.”- (“Practical Mind Reading”).

;)

JF.

This is a beautiful framing for Switchbade, thanks for sharing.
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."
Moderncelt
View Profile
Veteran user
Twin Cities MN
343 Posts

Profile of Moderncelt
I'm going to run this up the flag pole and see who salutes.

Has anyone thought about mocking up some matchbook covers to use in place of the billets? Because that's the first thing I thought of after practicing with the switchblade billets...that they looked suprisingly like little matchbooks. If you were to add a little brown strip to the cover side print, you would get the illusion of the striker pad. Add a remnant from an actual matchook with only couple matches left on the strip with a couple glue dots so that you can "tear" the matches out and give them something for them to write on.

Granted it's more prep work than most people are willing to put in, but it "appears" more impromptu than having some pre-folded billets in your pocket.
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
Quote:
On May 8, 2014, Moderncelt wrote:
I'm going to run this up the flag pole and see who salutes.

Has anyone thought about mocking up some matchbook covers to use in place of the billets? Because that's the first thing I thought of after practicing with the switchblade billets...that they looked suprisingly like little matchbooks. If you were to add a little brown strip to the cover side print, you would get the illusion of the striker pad. Add a remnant from an actual matchook with only couple matches left on the strip with a couple glue dots so that you can "tear" the matches out and give them something for them to write on.

Granted it's more prep work than most people are willing to put in, but it "appears" more impromptu than having some pre-folded billets in your pocket.

My feeling is that pre-folded billets present only as much heat as you provide them (magician's guilt).

However, with that said, I like your idea very much. I believe that it would play very well.

Best wishes,

Scott
'Curiouser and curiouser."
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
3237 Posts

Profile of NeilS
Since getting this I have also experimented with index cards and pay envelopes but, for me, plain business cards are easily the best as well as possibly least suspicious.

I like the move and handling so much, I have several prefolded cards about the house and have a quick practice every now and again. The moves are now second nature and with everything so smooth and sneeky - or should it be p**ky?
ajb6864
View Profile
Special user
Greece
637 Posts

Profile of ajb6864
Jerome,
That is a wonderful premise for a presentation, I like it very much.

Neil,
I've been doing exactly the same for the last couple of days, maybe we need to form a support group?

Alan
B. Morrison
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of B. Morrison
Docc himself will admit that many of his products are inspired by traditional methods that have been in the literature and often ignored in favor of "what's new" and trendy. Naturally the ads for these products don't say this, but even so, Docc is especially good at taking a basic methodology or concept and breathing new life into it.

I've bought a lot of Docc's stuff over the years. In the beginning, I was disappointed ("Oh, that's the secret?"), and I began to read his ads trying to determine what traditional method was *not* listed in the bullet points ("It says no tearing, no switching, no magnets... ah -- it must be the old Left-Handed Skyhook move."). As I grew in the art, however, I learned to appreciate the genius behind what many would overlook as "Oh, it's that old move". Case in point would be "E'voque", which is light years ahead of any of the thinking that has been published for that particular technique.

The bottom line is that I've never regretted any purchase I've made from Docc, and Switchblade is something I've been looking for for a long time.

Will it replace any of the methodologies I currently use? Absolutely.

Moderncelt
View Profile
Veteran user
Twin Cities MN
343 Posts

Profile of Moderncelt
B Morrison: I have to agree. The billet with a flap has been used before (it's in Peek Encores), but I never liked Bush's handling of it, and so I never revisited it and used other methods that looked more natural. Docc had completely changed the handling in a way that makes the movements much more realistic.

Do I use everything I bought from Docc? No. But I use some of his stuff all the time. E'voke, Boudoir Bill, etc. Have I every regretted any of my purchases? Not once. Even if I don't use an effect, there is ALWAYS something that I take away and use.
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
Quote:
On May 9, 2014, Moderncelt wrote:

Do I use everything I bought from Docc? No. But I use some of his stuff all the time. E'voke, Boudoir Bill, etc. Have I every regretted any of my purchases? Not once. Even if I don't use an effect, there is ALWAYS something that I take away and use.

Agreed!
'Curiouser and curiouser."
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Some of the best methods use the simplest and most organic natural moves and gimmicks. This fits that bill to a T and that is why it will be a fooler.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
There's that word "organic" again!

Isn't "organic natural" an oxymoron?
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
You are as usual quite right oh wise one.

Let's just say then in the most layman manner that switchblade is the epitome of KISS.

Keep it simple s****d 😙
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

I agree, Grasshopper. Smile

But, actually, I was wrong. It's not an oxymoron. It's redundant. "Artificial organic" would have been an oxymoron.

It's just that the term "organic" drives me nuts. It seems to appear in almost every ad lately and is right up there with phrases like, "The closest thing to real mind reading," etc.

It also seems to have widely different meanings depending on who's using it.

Now if you mean that Docc's idea contains no artificial additives and that no chemicals were used in growing the trees from which the billet paper was made...
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
I think that this may look better than T-REX.....

Ray
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Had more rehearsal time, I've got my own particular handlings going on...

from taking their "letter" and popping it inside a frosted bowl, to a 3 person psychometry/Q&A hybrid...

i actually don't do it the way docc teaches it anymore, got my own way of using it now...
I've asked to be banned
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On May 13, 2014, Magical Dimensions wrote:

Ray

No comparison, actually. Docc's is an excellent peek. T-REX is an excellent instant access tear.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On May 14, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On May 13, 2014, Magical Dimensions wrote:

Ray

No comparison, actually. Docc's is an excellent peek. T-REX is an excellent instant access tear.

That's what I was thinking. I like Dr Bills CT a lot too.

The beauty is one could mix it up at a psychic type party and vary the p**k methods entirely.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Bob ... I concur with your dislike of the current vogue for "organic". I think people are trying (and failing) to find a more intellectual-sounding word for "unexceptional".

Brett ... I can't concur with your expressed view that "The beauty is one could mix it up at a psychic type party and vary the p**k methods entirely." I think it stretches the notion of "unexceptional" to fold billets in two completely different ways (one of which is certainly exceptional), and then proceed to make use of them in equally different fashions. I'm not saying that a premise couldn't be devised to explain it all away, but I prefer not to create moments that require such explanation.
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On May 15, 2014, ddyment wrote:
Bob ... I concur with your dislike of the current vogue for "organic". I think people are trying (and failing) to find a more intellectual-sounding word for "unexceptional".

Brett ... I can't concur with your expressed view that "The beauty is one could mix it up at a psychic type party and vary the p**k methods entirely." I think it stretches the notion of "unexceptional" to fold billets in two completely different ways (one of which is certainly exceptional), and then proceed to make use of them in equally different fashions. I'm not saying that a premise couldn't be devised to explain it all away, but I prefer not to create moments that require such explanation.

What I was trying to convey Doug was that at a party where one is strolling around, it might be nice to vary methods with different people that you encounter.

The word "organic" is over-used without a doubt - mostly in the sphere of food (although the words "gluten free" are now giving organic a big ru nfor the money).

We could subsititue with the words natural, ordinary, invisible or unexceptional.

Having multiple ways to peek is probably a good thing for any performer - maybe we can agree on that Smile
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Saysold1 wrote:
Quote:
What I was trying to convey Doug was that at a party where one is strolling around, it might be nice to vary methods with different people that you encounter.

I still disagree, though. Smile Smile

Either you are in an environment where (some of) the same people will see you doing billet work in markedly different ways (in which case my earlier argument applies), or one where each performance is guaranteed to be for fresh faces only (in which case it would be better to use the method at which one is best). My own performing experience tends more to trade shows than parties, but it has always been a given that those who like your work will be back, watching it again.

This is not a huge disagreement on my part; it's just a reiteration of my philosophy that the road to excellence is paved with attention to the small details that others are too quick to dismiss.

Quote:
The word "organic" is over-used without a doubt ...

Certainly, though my objection is more to its being used incorrectly, rather than inordinately.

Quote:
Having multiple ways to peek is probably a good thing for any performer - maybe we can agree on that Smile

I certainly agree that it behooves practitioners to have as many weapons in their arsenals as possible, mostly in order to exploit unusual situations in real time. But I also believe that it makes more sense to strive for perfection in a limited number of skills than attempt to become a "jack of all trades".

In this case, I think it's ideal to focus on one billet peek that is done in conjunction with a tear, and one that is done with the billet intact. I personally use R2-D2 for the former, and Obsidian Oblique for the latter. Similarly, I focus on only two billet switches, one done under the cover of opening a billet (a slight variation of Teller's switch), and one done during a transfer only (I actually use two here: Cass's microphone switch if I have something appropriate in my hand, and the tilt move if I don't).

Most importantly, I think that one's choice of tools should be made using considered, detailed, objective analysis, rather than by leaping on the promotional bandwagon of the moment.
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Docc Hilford's Switchblade (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL