The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Docc Hilford's Switchblade (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
Quote:
On May 15, 2014, ddyment wrote:

But I also believe that it makes more sense to strive for perfection in a limited number of skills than attempt to become a "jack of all trades".



Couldn't agree more...
'Curiouser and curiouser."
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10475 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Thanks for you wisdom Doug -

I personally use the Dr's CT mostly even though I know T rex well and I like it too - but I prefer to stay with and practice one.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
Dr Weevil
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of Dr Weevil
Quote:
On May 9, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:

But, actually, I was wrong. It's not an oxymoron. It's redundant. "Artificial organic" would have been an oxymoron.



It's a tautology ;-)
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18253 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On May 15, 2014, ddyment wrote:
Most importantly, I think that one's choice of tools should be made using considered, detailed, objective analysis, rather than by leaping on the promotional bandwagon of the moment.


objective: (of a person or their judgement) not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in considering and representing facts

i do think your parameters are somewhat biased, when comparing your own R2D2 (which is good) to others...

back to switchblade though - I think because its all about how it looks, the presentation does need to address it in some way, but there are lots of advantages in that too (like the love letters idea) it fits together in a dr jaks kinda way of using interesting, small objects... whereas whatever CT or BS (giggles) you use, has to be mundane and ordinary looking...
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2109 Posts

Profile of ddyment
IAIN opined:
Quote:
i do think your parameters are somewhat biased, when comparing your own R2D2 (which is good) to others...

I discuss this issue at some length on the page in question, and explain remedies for those concerned.

The choice of parameters can certainly be biased (the ones I list are those that I personally consider important), but that evades the central issue, which is that all twenty of the parameters themselves are objective (i.e., can be evaluated dispassionately and accurately, in a fashion "not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in considering and representing facts").

This is the whole point of using objective criteria to evaluate things, rather than marketing muddle and unquantifiable claims (which are often designed not so much to deceive us directly, but to encourage us to fool ourselves).
Doug Dyment's Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1422 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Quote:
On May 15, 2014, ddyment wrote:
IAIN opined:
Quote:
i do think your parameters are somewhat biased, when comparing your own R2D2 (which is good) to others...

I discuss this issue at some length on the page in question, and explain remedies for those concerned.

The choice of parameters can certainly be biased (the ones I list are those that I personally consider important), but that evades the central issue, which is that all twenty of the parameters themselves are objective (i.e., can be evaluated dispassionately and accurately, in a fashion "not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in considering and representing facts").

This is the whole point of using objective criteria to evaluate things, rather than marketing muddle and unquantifiable claims (which are often designed not so much to deceive us directly, but to encourage us to fool ourselves).


I actually appreciate and see value in your list of CT parameters. But I disagree completely with your assertion that, 'The choice of parameters can certainly be biased (the ones I list are those that I personally consider important), but that evades the central issue, which is that all twenty of the parameters themselves are objective (i.e., can be evaluated dispassionately and accurately, in a fashion "not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in considering and representing facts").'

The central issue is not that the parameters are objective. The central issue is what specific parameters or criteria are important to a specific person in a specific context. What I see missing from your argument is the reality that most people make decisions based on emotion. We buy what we want. We buy what meets our specific (and often unconscious) criteria in a specific context. Yes, your list of parameters are very rational, logical and objective. No argument there. But no, they did not convince me to buy R2D2 or any other product. I bought, and use today, Ran Pink's T-Rex because of what I saw on the demo video and reviews I read on-line.

You can tell me my decision was not rational, and I did not evaluate my own CT needs and all available options using objective criteria. And you would be right! But that misses the point entirely. I saw something I wanted. I had a gut feeling, an intuition, that was far more unconscious and emotional, and far less logical and objective. I knew I wanted it and I went for it.

And guess what? I love T-Rex! I'm thrilled with it. It meets my personal criteria, the parameters that I evaluated in a completely illogical and undoubtedly completely biased way. But that's how most people make decisions most of the time. Good or bad, right or wrong, we humans are far more emotional, irrational and biased in the choices we make. It's human nature. And all of the well-thought-out charts comparing parameters in an objective way don't really apply to most people and the way they will make decisions most of the time, because they will not pay attention to them and just buy what they want.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2109 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Enotskcalb wrote:
Quote:
The central issue is not that the parameters are objective. The central issue is what specific parameters or criteria are important to a specific person in a specific context.

In fairness, this is pretty much exactly what I have written on the page under discussion.


Quote:
You can tell me my decision was not rational, and I did not evaluate my own CT needs and all available options using objective criteria. And you would be right! But that misses the point entirely. I saw something I wanted. I had a gut feeling, an intuition, that was far more unconscious and emotional, and far less logical and objective. I knew I wanted it and I went for it.

Understood. We agree that your decision was an irrational one. But it's your decision, and I do not have to live with its consequences. And I do not argue for (or make claims about) how others make decisions, rational or otherwise. What I do is attempt to provide sound, objective data for those who choose to perform rational analyses.


Quote:
I love T-Rex! I'm thrilled with it...

T-Rex is a decent tear, no doubt about it. Among its limitations, I consider at least two of them significantly egregious not to meet the standards I set for my own work, but I am not you. In fact, I am known for fretting over tiny details that many others are willing to overlook as insignificant. I'm happy with my approach (which has served me well over the years), and sincerely hope that others are equally pleased with theirs!
Doug Dyment's Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3298 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Luv the Docc but just went to buy this as I've been travelling a lot lately and its up to just under a hundred bucks US. Sorry I missed the boat on this
tony diss
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of tony diss
This peek works great and has all the natural cover you could ever need built in. I know I came up with it over years ago and have been doing all along. Strange how someone can come up with something and then years later someone else comes up with the very same idea independently.
I worked printing all my life until I went to fulltime preforming so I had access to all the paper in the free world and narrowed down to the best paper stock to use in order to execute this technique flawlessly, even down to the grain of the paper.
I use this for pre-show, drawing dup. and have the person paperclip it and put in a envelope and hold on to it until that part of show comes around. Something about saying "And you have been holding this all along" sure goes a long way.
tony diss
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of tony diss
Sorry for that typo in my last post, that should read "came up with it over 8 years ago"
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10475 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Well Tony the reality is that this is based on something event older - the *ull card. Not so strange.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
tony diss
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of tony diss
Thank you for that info saysold1. As always you are full of information. I have been reading posts from you for as long as I have been reading on this forum. I have only just recently joined here and I don’t know why I waited so long to do so.
Anyway, maybe “strange” was not the best choice of words for me to use. Maybe serendipity would be a more fitting word now that thanks to you and your never ending fountain of knowledge, I know that the day 8 or 9 years ago when I was sitting with a piece of card stock in my hand fooling around with folds in different places that I would stumble onto something someone else had done for the very same reason at another time.
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
763 Posts

Profile of Josho
Hey, guys,

Docc did his follow-up call a couple of weeks ago, and we talked about a whole slew of additions/variations to Switchblade. I'm particularly proud of the variation I passed along, which I think makes the crucial move absolutely indetectable even close-up and surrounded. There's a video of the explanation on Youtube. It's unlisted, but Docc gives the address during the call.

I'd urge anyone who bought Switchblade to go to the member area of Docc's site and download the MP3 of the follow-up call!

Josh
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1637 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
We also covered the *ull card issue thoroughly and why this is not an extension of that.
XyGreg
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of XyGreg
Thanks for the reviews, this looks really interesting indeed Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Docc Hilford's Switchblade (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL