The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Beginner in NYC (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rol
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of rol
Hi guys, great forum! Smile
I have always been fascinated from magicians and I would love to start learn something. Do you think it's better to learn in a 'club' or by myself with dvd's? I know it's plenty of resources online but I have the feeling that it is better to learn in person with other people.
If so there's any magic club in NYC that you know?
Thank you so much in advance
Kbuck54
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of Kbuck54
Welcome to the Café,
The I.B.M. Has a few rings in the NYC area. Go to magicians.org to find the one nearest you. In person is good, but you should always consult books and dvd's. Stay away from all of the BAD YOUTUBE tricks. Learn from professionals when ever possible. But, Have fun.
Keith
SHAZAM!
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1001 Posts

Profile of Ado
Go to a club. Otherwise, you'll end up learning stuff that's not adequate (because you don't know were to begin, while other magicians, seeing you, will better estimate your level and/or progress), and you'll probably not learn how to perform (because unless you mingle with real magicians, you're likely to underestimate the need to rehearse).

P!
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1310 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Person to person is the better way to go. But sometimes clubs can be full of unimaginative people that are not good teachers and cant constructively develop you s a magician. So pick your club carefully and just not by location. Also you will find a lot of magicians that are not in clubs yet happy to meet up chat and share. It important to think about what they give and what you get but also what you can give and what they need is inportant.

Hope this helps
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Well! I've been a member of the "I Bother Magicians" for 63 years (& "working" on 64). I've also been a member of the "Some Are Magician" for 39 years (& "working on 40). (Also, I've been a member of the "Secret Six" (I'm member #6 7/8) for 44 years (& working on 45). I have "survived"~!

As a young lad,I also read "a book",--about 1940--(first was, "THE MAGIC SHOW BOOK" by Alexander the Magician. Then an older friend loaned me his set of volumes by some guy named Tarbell. --and, here I am!

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read anyway." --Groucho Marx.

So, seriously, there is much to be gained by membereship in a group of like minded people. BUT,it would be a wise thing to attend several meetings of such a group before you decide to "apply" for membership. You will probably discover that magic clubs are a "heteroginous" (sp ?)(I must look up that word) "collection" of either "established" or "aspiring" experts in the art. (defiition of"expert": "X" is an unknown quantity, & "spurt" is a drip under pressure).

Most of the members, you will find, are happy to welcome you. You will soon learn which ones are "box" magicians, and which are "finger flingers". You will, fairly soon, discover those who are performers, and those who are collectors. (nothing wrong with either group) but you are most likely to learn more about performing from the performers! ("Nemo dat quod non habet"--No one gives what he does not have!.)

Look for an established, successful magician who may be willing to be a mentor. (Note the qualifiers in that sentence!)

Be intellectually CURIOUS! Be careful to have a broad interest. (Tarbell will help.) Limiting yourself to only cards, or coins, or any specific prop, will limit your growth. There is more to magic than tricks!

I'll leave you with a quote from Alexander Pope (He was not a magician, BTW): "...A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Drink deep or taste not the Pyhrian Spring. There, shallow draughts intoxicate the brain. And, drinking largely sobers us again."

Dick Oslund
Sneaky, underhanded, devious & surreptitious itinerant mountebanc
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
rol
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of rol
Thank you very much everybody! I'm definitively looking for a club where to meet real people Smile I'm struggling to find one in NYC or Brooklyn though, I checked the magician.com website but apparently the ring in nyc is off.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5081 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Try magician.org There is one in the city Smile http://www.magician.org/about/local-ibm-......w%20York
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Bulla
View Profile
Special user
Honolulu, HI
673 Posts

Profile of Bulla
You could also just go down to the magic shop and inquire about local meetups. You have Tannen's and Fantasma Magic there.
rol
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of rol
Awesome, I'll go to check them out tomorrow! Thanks
dtgreat
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of dtgreat
Hey, me too! If you find a good club give me a shout!
rol
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of rol
Ok, so I went to Fantasma, got a Joshua Jay book on cards, bought a couple of decks and a Svengali deck and now I'm on my way to learn it! Smile
The guy was super cool and he showed me some nice tricks too.
I forgot to ask about a club though lol
Kbuck54
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of Kbuck54
Rol,
Like a kid in a candy shop, huh?
Now, you'll just have to go back again and again. LOL.
Good luck with the card effects.
Keith
SHAZAM!
rol
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of rol
Exactly! Smile Thanks
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Don't shuffle the Sevengali! (That's what Eddie Fields called it!) I 'usta' pitch Svengalis.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Beginner in NYC (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL