The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » I'd Like to See What a Stack or MD can do? (23 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Sorry for asking, but are there any legitimate and good Youtube clips of effect performances that involve MD or stack work, so that I can see what these tools can accomplish?
Lundonia
View Profile
Veteran user
refuses to read more than
321 Posts

Profile of Lundonia
Here's part 1 of David Blaine's performance at the Cambridge Union: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKr4m3RvcD8

I've found most (or all) of my MD-material in books but just go to Tamariz, Wild, Green or any of the masters for ideas. Just imagine that a spectator never will have to pick a card again. They can just THINK of one...

I'm doing a close up gig tomorrow, the opening effect will be a simple triumph. With a thought of card wich makes it a whole lot stronger!

Just think about what a clean ACAAN you will be able to do. It's an incredibly powerful weapon, unfortunately there's not that many of us who cares to put the work in (which actually is easier than you think). There's also a lot of performers who just uses the MD as a stack and doesn't use the full potential of it... I could go on and on but I'll just stop. Don't memorize it just "because", if you really think about what YOU could do with a MD you will see how much the effects you already do can benefit. Smile
"Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity - and i'm not sure about the former" - Albert Einstein
www.jensmagi.se
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
I am brand new to memorized deck work, but even I figured out he was stacking Mnemonica (2S is at 10, as revealed, flanked by 9S and QH as shown, you can see him cut 9D to the bottom, etc). His false riffles are very convincing--look like Heinstein to me, which I can't seem to wrap my fingers around though I wish I could, being a Zarrow man. What was impressive to me is that the card and location (friend's name) were revealed AFTER the deck was stacked and in the spec's hand. How Blaine knew that the spec would choose 2S (Card 10 in Mnemonica) AND a friend's name with 10 letters and so would not have to handle the deck after the stacking was done is the part that amazes me. The classic ACAAN with a stack involves some sort of handling to get things in order for the reveal, but here the card was located where it was supposed to be with the deck in "native" Mnemonica order. I don't know if there is some subtlety I am missing or if Blaine just got lucky. I do like the idea of using a name instead of a number--it naturally keeps the cards to be counted manageably low without seeming contrived. But how Blaine knew he would not have to do any further work with the deck after stacking it is awesome to me. Is there some psychological subtlety I am missing? Are most people's names around 10 letters? If that is the thing, how does one mentally force 2S? A really baffler to me. I am sure I will be very disappointed once I learn the secret.

Les.

PS. In the other thread on this video people comment on Blaine recovering from serious errors. I didn't see anything…
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Thanks for the input. Smile

When you say, 'though of card' Lundonia, do you mean 'named card'? Because I can't see how a stack helps with a simply thought of, unsaid, card??

Any more clips of a MD in action?
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1197 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
From the spectators' view it is any THOUGHT of card. Afterwards he must name the card of course. (unless you can detect the identity of that card in another way Smile ) By the way, it is always safer to say that in a subtle way to the spectator beforehand. Otherwise you can have difficulties afterwards.
The best way is: "I want you to think of a card. Any card. In a moment a will ask you to name that card. Form a picture bla bla bla"
With that sentence the spectoator KNOWS that he has to name the card a little later but the impression that will be left is that he freely has THOUGHT of any card (which he has in fact).
Lundonia
View Profile
Veteran user
refuses to read more than
321 Posts

Profile of Lundonia
When I do a triumph effect I just ask someone to name a card, patter-patter, estimation, cut the card to the top etc, patter-patter, and then when I reveal the deck with one card turned over I ask them like I forgot; "...what card did you think of again?"
Reveal and bam! Smile
"Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity - and i'm not sure about the former" - Albert Einstein
www.jensmagi.se
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1504 Posts

Profile of Cain
Of course there are strong tricks using a memorized deck, as magicians who do not even use a stack immediately recognize. This is sort of like asking if there are any strong tricks that require a pass or a double-lift. A memorized stack is a tool. You can perform excellent card magic without ever using it, just as you can perform excellent card magic without ever using a pass, or even a double-lift.
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Just a question--is this effect but one possible "out" for Mnemonicosis as Tamariz describes it in the book Mnemonica? A seasoned friend didn't reveal the secret to me but encouraged me ego dive into the book deeper and all would be revealed. This looks like Mnemonicosis to me…
Bandaloop
View Profile
Regular user
Dodging attacks for the past
194 Posts

Profile of Bandaloop
This is a great use of MD:

http://youtu.be/vmzUbvqx9dA
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4754 Posts

Profile of landmark
About ten years ago, I learned Simon Aronson's Past Present Future. I modified the ending so that I didn't need the gaffs.
IMO, It's still the strongest card trick I've ever performed.
That's what an MD can do.
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Quote:
On May 28, 2014, landmark wrote:
About ten years ago, I learned Simon Aronson's Past Present Future. I modified the ending so that I didn't need the gaffs.

I have Simply Simon right here, and if you recall gaffs needed for that effect I am not seeing it here…

Les
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4879 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
You can do "memory stunts" with a deck of cards. Shuffle the deck and then memorize the order in a very short time, and directly I can recall the exact order for every single card in the deck. I have done this many times now. It makes people think you have some special gift. Superpowers. "Rainman" style.

In October 2013 I did this cardstunt for a group of circa 25 people, when I finished the memory stunt, a blond girl jumped up from her chair and gave me a "hug" in front of the audience. That happens seldom when I perform cardmagic, I felt happy after that show.

Mats G. Kjellstrom
Sweden
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4754 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On May 29, 2014, lcwright1964 wrote:
Quote:

I have Simply Simon right here, and if you recall gaffs needed for that effect I am not seeing it here…

Les

Not gaffs really--but the presentation of the "future" card can require a preparation that makes it less likely to be done in a casual setting. What I do is give a reading about the spec's future before revealing the name of the card. So once I know the identity of the card I'm about to reveal, I'll say something like,

"Now we've looked at your past and present. Now let's look at your future. It's true that no one can predict your future, but based on your very present, we can make some good guesses. The four suits each stand for a quality. Clubs is community, hearts is about love, spades are generally a warning to be cautious, diamonds are about your financial health. Now I sense you are a person who is deeply committed to some specific cause which suggests clubs, community. Now the numbers also each stand for something. And I feel you are a person who has a need to communicate with others. In numerology, the number three generally represents the ability to persuade. I see you then, working in the future to somehow strengthen the message of the organizations you believe in. Is this prediction true? I don't know, but if your card is the three of clubs, I would say there is a high likelihood of that being a big part of your future."

This way I don't have to carry extra cards or a wallet, etc.

BTW I don't do readings at all! I just found online a little fortunetelling with cards item by richard webster that I use as an outline.

Hope this clarifies.
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Quote:
On May 29, 2014, lcwright1964 wrote:
Quote:

Les

Ah! A closer reading--I see what you mean by "gaffs".

How about this if the spectator's "future" card is outside the hoped for range. Tell a story that I dreamed of the encounter we were presently having, and in order to vividly recall the dream in case it came true I inverted the selection in the dream in a deck I always kept on hand. Then produce an ID and without further ado reveal the future selection as the only inverted card. This isn't a magician fooler, as we all know about the ID, but I can see it blowing Muggles' minds in a way a simple ID reveal cannot.

Just a thought...
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4754 Posts

Profile of landmark
If you're using the effect the way I suggested, you don't have to worry about the range--believe it or not, it will still work no matter where he cuts. The only reason Aronson limited the range was to limit the number of extra cards you would need in the "special" version. This is one of those effects that still fools me even when I know the method! The poor spectator doesn't have a chance of reconstructing what's going on.
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
I am liking Past-Present-Future immensely and must try it out on humans soon. The only downside for me is that, like a lot of Aronson's best "test condition" location effects, it destroys much of the stack. Aronson himself suggests collecting the cards in a fashion that permits one to use the mixed but still divided (based on stack number) deck for a suitable effect. I still am not so automatic with my stack to discern high-low on the fly. For example, I see 8S, my brain goes, "stack position 22, which is in the 1 to 26 range, which is low." Where I really need to be is where my brain just sees 8S and says "low", etc.

Despite this though, as a one-off cooler, the effect is a killer. Apart from a convincing full deck shuffle, it uses no sleights either.

Les
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Quote:
On Jun 3, 2014, lcwright1964 wrote:
I am liking Past-Present-Future immensely and must try it out on humans soon. The only downside for me is that, like a lot of Aronson's best "test condition" location effects, it destroys much of the stack. Aronson himself suggests collecting the cards in a fashion that permits one to use the mixed but still divided (based on stack number) deck for a suitable effect. I still am not so automatic with my stack to discern high-low on the fly. For example, I see 8S, my brain goes, "stack position 22, which is in the 1 to 26 range, which is low." Where I really need to be is where my brain just sees 8S and says "low", etc.

Despite this though, as a one-off fooler, the effect is a killer. Apart from a convincing full deck shuffle, it uses no sleights either.

Les
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4754 Posts

Profile of landmark
Les, I follow Past Present Future with ShuffleBored from Aronson's Bound to Please. You don't need to be able to divide high and low for that, and it's about the only thing that could possible top PPF in the spectator's eyes.
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Quote:
On Jun 3, 2014, landmark wrote:
Les, I follow Past Present Future with ShuffleBored from Aronson's Bound to Please. You don't need to be able to divide high and low for that, and it's about the only thing that could possible top PPF in the spectator's eyes.

I am going to PM you. I want to know more about how you segue into Shufflebored.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4754 Posts

Profile of landmark
Les I replied to your PM. I forgot to add one more thing. After PPF and ShuffleBored, I put the cards away. There is nothing that I could do after that that would increase my standing as a card magician.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » I'd Like to See What a Stack or MD can do? (23 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL