The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » I'd Like to See What a Stack or MD can do? (23 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Zack_Johnston
View Profile
Special user
California
657 Posts

Profile of Zack_Johnston
Quote:
On May 8, 2014, Terrible Wizard wrote:
Sorry for asking, but are there any legitimate and good Youtube clips of effect performances that involve MD or stack work, so that I can see what these tools can accomplish?

Here is a great video of Asi Wind performing Mnemonicosis with Mnemonica: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fquP1r6l-js
superej68
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of superej68
Here is Asi's any card at any number
Zack_Johnston
View Profile
Special user
California
657 Posts

Profile of Zack_Johnston
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2014, superej68 wrote:

You forgot the link. Smile

http://shop.dananddave.com/aacaan.html

It looks this good in real life.
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2014, Zack_Johnston wrote:
Quote:

I am don't like buying individual effects but this looks so awesome I just have to get it…
superej68
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of superej68
If you don't like buying individual effects, get Asi's lecture notes Chapter One.
Lots of great memorized deck work in there including this acaan
superej68
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of superej68
superej68
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of superej68
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2014, Zack_Johnston wrote:
Quote:

Whoops, thought I put in in there
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Quote:
If you don't like buying individual effects, get Asi's lecture notes Chapter One.
Lots of great memorized deck work in there including this acaan

Too late!

I popped the twenty bucks, and the move is so diabolical, with wider applicability beyond this one trick, it was well worth buying the secret.

Thank you so much!!!

Les
superej68
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of superej68
Asi wind is one of my favorite working magicians, his stuff is genius, I highly recommend his notes as well
jeebs9
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of jeebs9
I was the like the OP when I first heard of Stack decks and all this other stuff. I saw 2 clips that made want to learn mem decks or Tamariz stack. David Blaine in Cambridge Union (Where he shuffles a deck and hand it to the spec to spell a name to a the thought of card. He also does a trick to Stephen Hawkens. Where he names a cards and it's at the bottom of the deck (9D). And also the trick he does to Katy Perry http://youtu.be/7ueyk1FdN98?t=1m27s. Where she cuts to the thought of card. I've had this happen to me at some of the best times with a lot of people watching. And it's a killer. Because the cards are not in your hands.

Another benefit of using the stacked deck. Is doing regular pick a card tricks. And glimpse the card above it and now you know what the chosen card is.
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Quote:
On Jul 9, 2014, jeebs9 wrote:
I was the like the OP when I first heard of Stack decks and all this other stuff. I saw 2 clips that made want to learn mem decks or Tamariz stack. David Blaine in Cambridge Union (Where he shuffles a deck and hand it to the spec to spell a name to a the thought of card. He also does a trick to Stephen Hawkens. Where he names a cards and it's at the bottom of the deck (9D). And also the trick he does to Katy Perry http://youtu.be/7ueyk1FdN98?t=1m27s. Where she cuts to the thought of card. I've had this happen to me at some of the best times with a lot of people watching. And it's a killer. Because the cards are not in your hands.

Another benefit of using the stacked deck. Is doing regular pick a card tricks. And glimpse the card above it and now you know what the chosen card is.

The Cambridge Union and Katy Perry clips are simply different "outs" for Mnemonicosis as described by Tamariz in the book Mnemonica. In the Cambridge clip Blaine got lucky--it just so happened that the card position and name given (position 10, 10 letters) matched up perfectly. In the Katy Perry clip she selects the card at the 14th position and when told to cut about a quarter off she nails it. These are about the cleanest and most magical "outs" for Mnemonicosis, but they aren't the most typical. The Asi Wind link posted early gives the most common scenario--approximate cut plus a little counting. Tamariz describes the various outs in some detail, and there are still other ways to create the magic in the "jazzing" tradition.

Impossible test condition pick-a-card revelations are just one use for a memorized stack. I like Richard Osterlind's approach in Test Condition #2, though there the spec gives a through shuffle and the stack is destroyed.

I am a complete amateur who does this for fun, but I can state without reservation that the modest work that went into memorizing the strengthening the memory of a full deck stack is more than worth. Here are just a few of the awesome tricks I love to do:

Michael Close's Ungimmicked ID
Michael Close's The Smiling Mule
Tamariz's Mnemonicosis
Triumph with a named card
Card to Impossible Location with a named card (using Kaylor's UCCU)
Asi Wind's AACAAN (he solves definitively the problem of positioning the selection undetectably)
Simon Aronson's Past, Present, Future with Shuffleboard kicker
Simon Aronson's Twice as Hard
Simon Aronson's Invisible Card (easier than Close's ID, but just as strong)
and of course all sorts of revelation-under-impossible-conditions effects

All sorts of awesome magic here and I have barely scratched the surface. But there is no doubt that memorizing a stack is worth it.

Les
jeebs9
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of jeebs9
I know that their different outs. I was just saying how much I loved each and every different way you can jazz with the a stack. It's awesome. Since I've been doing ID with stack decks. My friends have been completely lost. Because one of them looked up the ID trick (on his phone). But now they have no clue how the trick is done now.

I'd love to get into a Triumph effect for a stack deck. But Double Exposure by Asi Wind is the only triumph trick I want to do lol.

I also don't care about messing the stack up. I always have another deck stacked already.

I love doing stop effects with bottom half of the deck.
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2014, jeebs9 wrote:

I'd love to get into a Triumph effect for a stack deck. But Double Exposure by Asi Wind is the only triumph trick I want to do lol.

I also don't care about messing the stack up. I always have another deck stacked already.

I bought Double Exposure because I was so thrilled with AACAAN and I thought what the heck. I am a little disappointed because to do it FASDIU there is a rather knacky move and a pressure fan. A thumb fan will not work as it will mess up the side to be photographed. I can't do a pressure fan to save my life. However, Asi does mention the Cheek-to-Cheek option, and this doesn't require the move and any old way of spreading the deck will do. I might try it that way for a while--it is dead easy and just baffling for muggles, though magicians would clue in.

You COULD do a named card Triumph with a Double Exposure conclusion. You could locate and move the named card to wherever you want however you do it (the move in AACAAN is perfect and undetectable) and reverse it however you choose. (I like Aronson's Head Over Heels move for something like this.) Once you have the named card located, controlled, and reversed you can get it where it needs to be so it is correctly oriented for the photograph, after you do the move and fan. Of course this is one situation in which your two genuine shuffles destroys the stack.

I think for me the most important advantage of memorizing a deck is the open index concept. I have both Mnemonica and Bound to Please, and I must admit I am less enthused about poker deals and spelling effects, especially the complex ones in Tamariz that require tweaking the stack by moving a card here and there. That's a lot to remember. But to know where every card in the deck is all the time? Priceless.

Les
pookey
View Profile
New user
Nottingham, UK
19 Posts

Profile of pookey
I'd like to suggest Bound to Please too - even if you've learnt Mnemonica.

There's an effect early in that book which would fool 99% of magicians (invented statistic warning) and 105% of laymen (FACT!)

Hand over the deck.
Let it be cut
Let it be riffle shuffled
Let it be cut again
card selected, and replaced anywhere into the deck

Cards are dealt one at a time where the spectator mearly thinks 'stop' when they see the card, and you identify the card.

Amazing!
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2014, pookey wrote:
I'd like to suggest Bound to Please too - even if you've learnt Mnemonica.

There's an effect early in that book which would fool 99% of magicians (invented statistic warning) and 105% of laymen (FACT!)

Hand over the deck.
Let it be cut
Let it be riffle shuffled
Let it be cut again
card selected, and replaced anywhere into the deck

Cards are dealt one at a time where the spectator mearly thinks 'stop' when they see the card, and you identify the card.

Amazing!

Which one? I have BTP…

Les
pookey
View Profile
New user
Nottingham, UK
19 Posts

Profile of pookey
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2014, lcwright1964 wrote:

Which one? I have BTP…

Les

Les, first effect in the book.
pookey
View Profile
New user
Nottingham, UK
19 Posts

Profile of pookey
Quote:
On May 8, 2014, Lundonia wrote:
Here's part 1 of David Blaine's performance at the Cambridge Union: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKr4m3RvcD8

What is that in hand false riffle he does in that video?
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Quote:
On Jul 29, 2014, pookey wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2014, lcwright1964 wrote:

Which one? I have BTP…

Les

Les, first effect in the book.

Found it. I was looking in the Card Ideas section but it's before that, in the Kabbala section. Thanks.
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Quote:
On Jul 29, 2014, pookey wrote:
Quote:
On May 8, 2014, Lundonia wrote:
Here's part 1 of David Blaine's performance at the Cambridge Union: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKr4m3RvcD8

What is that in hand false riffle he does in that video?

Looks like Heinstein to me.
jeebs9
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of jeebs9
I thought it was the "Show off Shuffle". The way the cards riffle. And then he bents them back.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » I'd Like to See What a Stack or MD can do? (23 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL