The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hello! (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SamanthaO
View Profile
New user
Singapore
33 Posts

Profile of SamanthaO
Hi, I've only recently gotten into coin magic. But am loving it! So much to learn, so much to do... Smile I'm also fiddling around with other odds and ends (rubber bands, scarves, rope) magic and managed to incorporate some into a research presentation. Great fun! Just popping by to say hi and to introduce myself less I remain a lurker forever..
Kbuck54
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of Kbuck54
Welcome to the Café, Sam.
Enjoy the Magic.
Keith
SHAZAM!
SamanthaO
View Profile
New user
Singapore
33 Posts

Profile of SamanthaO
Thanks Keith!
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome SamanthaO,

We have some of the same interests. I'm not so into coins (my partner Tom is an amazing coin guy) but lately I'm working closer with coin sized rings and "The Charming Chinese Challenge".

I hope I run into you in the fora.

What is your area of research?

-Mary Mowder
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
SamanthaO,

Hi. I run an investment firm and I use magic in industry related lectures. I think magic is a great way to keep people interested and to make points stronger.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on magic and presentations.

KJ
SamanthaO
View Profile
New user
Singapore
33 Posts

Profile of SamanthaO
Hi!

Mary;
It was an undergraduate research conference. I did mine on societal-moral discourses and its links with reducing corruption. I study law so it was also somewhat tied into that. If I may ask, what got you into magic? And how long have you been doing it for?
I got into coins mostly through Neil Gaiman's American Gods where the protagonist would fiddle about with them. Also because when I was much younger, I couldn't palm cards (still can't, small hand) and thought that was more important than misdirection..
Coin sized rings? I shall have to look into this!

KJ;
I definitely found that an appropriate use of magic reinforced key points. It was my first time doing it (just started coins and magic within the last month and a half) and I found that audience attention management was also important since my slides had a propensity to detract them away from the magic I was trying to perform. Also what was important (I found) was that there was not an overload of information as a trick was being performed. That prevents sensory overload and allows the visual emphasis to hammer in the information.

Sam
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I'm all for reducing corruption so good luck in your work.

My partner Tom is a Magician and was (is) my mentor.
I wish I'd started in Magic as soon as we met but I wasted a couple of years before trying.

I've been a professional Magician since 1980.

Check out Jay Scott Berry's Symphony on the Ring and Ribbon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR1Z7yxEuOM
I'm using this size ring but a very different routine.

You can see that it would present some opportunities for crossover coin moves (but the edges are round and slick so… not exactly the same).
Each object has its own charm.

-Mary Mowder
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Samantha,

I really love to combine magic with lectures and presentations. I have found that some props and routines lend themselves very well.

For example, there is an effect called "Cuba Libre". There is a similar effect, manufactured by www.gimpysmagic.com called a "Demi Cube A Libre". This device uses three cubes, numbered 1,2, and 3. This is a great prop to use in a presentation where you are presenting three points that should be done in a particular order. The presentation is about how important it is to do these three things in this order, and not to get the cart before the horse. If you are not familiar with the effect, you cover the three blocks and when you remove the cover, they are in a different order. The prop is quite expensive, but well worth it for this sort of use.

I also use mentalism effects to make various points. For example, to make a point about how important it is for people or ideas to be in sync. The mentalism routine (using a peek device for example), illustrates the point. I frequently use a little prop called Spypad by Mark Elsdon. The beauty of this is that everything you need is contained in a 3x5 writing pad.

I also use cards or mentalism to demonstrate people working together. I do card tricks or mentalism routines that involve the entire audience. I get the entire audience to "cast their vote" on various outcomes by raising their hands. This can also be used to create groups for break-away sessions.

While I think it is ok to do some magic purely as "intermission" time entertainment, I think it is better to use magic that becomes part of the material presented, as opposed to a possible distraction.

I hope this helps you, and I would love to hear about any routines you come up with to incorporate into your presentations.

KJ
SamanthaO
View Profile
New user
Singapore
33 Posts

Profile of SamanthaO
Mary;
Just saw it. It looks absolutely magical. Definitely a routine that I'd want to get into at some point! At the moment, I shall focus on mastering what I know... After exams. Heh.

KJ;
I agree, I think it just makes more of an impact and sense if it's incorporated into the presentation - unless it's a magic show to begin with. I'll look into that, I do want to dabble in mentalism at some point. Thanks!
I'll let you know as and when - need to acquire more skills first Smile

Sam
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hello! (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL