The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » HELP / ADVICE WANTED (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2708 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Hi Guys, I don't often ask for help but I could do with some just now. I have a gig for an extremely large global company. They are looking for a very specific performance theme...

"...In your demonstration we hope you can focus on – a demonstration of thought processes, conscious overload, distraction and mental blind spots..."

Sadly I'm having a bit of a mental blind spot with this concept. They are looking for a 30 min performance repeated 4 times but that may change to 2 different thirty minute performances repeated twice.

Ideas and suggestions for appropriate routines would be most gratefully received.

Derek
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Http://psych-your-mind.blogspot.co.uk/20......ots.html
positive/negative |l&d tests based on strong/weak reactions to certain words

http://conversational-hypnosis.com/articles/a39c.html
any hypnotic display/demo

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/245710.php
reading difficult text from a book whilst a long sharp needle is threaded through their arm
I've asked to be banned
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Also, in loose terms, those four areas could apply to an artist's creative process, scientific hypothesis and similar...so its an entire narratve in a way...
I've asked to be banned
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1747 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
Thought Process = Magic Square
Conscious Overload = Osterlind Card Calling
Distraction = Aldo Colombini PreDeck Ability
Mental Blind Spots = Prevaricator
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
What about 'Memory Mashup' by Knenton Knepper? In it he talks about 'Blowout'. People in a 'Blowout' stop thinking temporarily. They are just in the moment. This sounds like it might fit 'Conscious overload' and maybe blind spots.

Ray
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2366 Posts

Profile of C.J.
Luke Jermay's RGM and/or Patrick Redford's Glemme are what I use for "Conscious overload" sort of demonstrations. Replace Redford's pseudo-hypnosis with a bombardment of facts, and show how the overload can force other information out so thoroughly that they'd swear it never happened.
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2366 Posts

Profile of C.J.
In terms of mental blind spots and what you could do there, the phrase "Choose the Confetti" comes to mind! A lot of Joshua Quinn's work would be adaptable to this theme, too. I'll PM you with another concept I've used that could be applicable to "thought patterns".
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I would craft a few simple messages about how these things affect performance and what the delegates can do to improve their performance. I honestly think that's what they are looking for. The effects will be secondary. Once you have these three or four messages and tips on how deal with them you will find effects. When you focus on helping the delegates rather than focusing on the effects.

I would start by googling each of these items to find good articles that offer wisdom and advice. I would then use this as the meat the structure of your talk. Effects would support this. Without the solid structure your gig will fall flat.

Personally I would deliver two effects at the most. And probably only one the rest of the time would be about dealing with those issues. I get the impression they think you are an expert in motivational training. You have to become better in these areas if you are going to pull it off.
Limitless
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Limitless
Quote:
On May 8, 2014, kinesis wrote:
"...In your demonstration we hope you can focus on – a demonstration of thought processes, conscious overload, distraction and mental blind spots..."

Personally I would approach it from the other way round. Rather than trying to find techniques to fit what they want - do what works best for you and then explain to them how it aligns with what they want. After all you are the expert - not them!

Thought processes - can be demonstrated after any technique to "reveal" what you actually did rather than what they thought you did.
Conscious overload - can be any explanation of the language, instructions that you use.
mental blind spots - the prestige - although perhaps when explaining how you incorporated the other two into your routine you actually set them up for a mental blind spot demonstration "let me show you exactly what I did"......... "by the way, how many of you noticed X?"

Good luck - not that you need it.
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2708 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Quote:
On May 9, 2014, mindpunisher wrote:
I would craft a few simple messages about how these things affect performance and what the delegates can do to improve their performance. I honestly think that's what they are looking for. The effects will be secondary. Once you have these three or four messages and tips on how deal with them you will find effects. When you focus on helping the delegates rather than focusing on the effects.

I would start by googling each of these items to find good articles that offer wisdom and advice. I would then use this as the meat the structure of your talk. Effects would support this. Without the solid structure your gig will fall flat.

Personally I would deliver two effects at the most. And probably only one the rest of the time would be about dealing with those issues. I get the impression they think you are an expert in motivational training. You have to become better in these areas if you are going to pull it off.

They have a guest speaker that will be doing a talk on 'MindSafety' I'm there to provide entertaining examples of the above phenomenon.

FACEBOOK
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Actually I could do all those above with no need for fake effects. there much better ways to demonstrate these things for real I wouldn't use Mentalism at all. I don't think they are looking for a mentalist either.

I think doing effects is bad advice.
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2708 Posts

Profile of kinesis
From the introductory email....

"...We would like an act very similar to Derren Brown with mind reading/ manipulation as opposed to magic tricks. The purpose of the event is to demonstrate the way the mind works/ how conscious overload can leave people blind to everything else. Full details can be given. Preferably with some humour, again like Derren Brown..."

FACEBOOK
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Ok give them a few mentalism effects. The last poster was right just explain it anyway you want.

Here is an idea you might be able to work in. Get them all to stand up look around the room. Tell them to remember everything they can see that's is the colour brown. Give them a few mins to do so. Tell them you are going to test them. Then get them all to close their eyes and tell you everything they can remember that green. They will struggle to give you a good list. When they open their eyes they will be amazed at how much green is in the room. You might have to choose different colours depending upon the room.

This is a genuine demonstration of blind spots and distraction and that when you focus on the crap you miss opportunities that are all around you everyday.You could use it as precursor to a bigger effect.

I would include at least one real demonstration with a strong message.

You can try it out practice it a few times with individuals to see if you feel comfortable with it. Its an old Tony Robbin's thing. He probably got it somewhere else.

But no matter what you decide to do you are the expert here I'm sure it go down well.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On May 9, 2014, mindpunisher wrote:
Get them all to stand up look around the room. Tell them to remember everything they can see that's is the colour brown. Give them a few mins to do so. Tell them you are going to test them. Then get them all to close their eyes and tell you everything they can remember that green.

WARNING - do not perform this in a forest...
I've asked to be banned
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Change the colours to suit the environment T Smile Actually that one thing demonstrates all of the requirements in one go. It might be a good place to start then move on to bigger effects. The fact that ita a Macro effect/demonstration gets everyone involved gives them a real experience a strong message sets up the rest of the effects nicely.

So long as the environment is suitable and its so easy to do.
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2708 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Thanks Mindpunisher, I like that, a lot. Smile

FACEBOOK
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I would link it to everyday distractions like facebook forums email texts smart phones etc and the need to shut them off and focus on getting tasks and goals done etc.. These are all everday examples of overload and distraction! And mostly crap!

A few tips like that you can find if you google on productivity thrown in with patter will really impress a company and will bring more value to the effects.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Its got me thinking now. I would then go on to use effects that show that when you are distracted you make the wrong decision. For example a bank night where you distract them? Leading up to a real jaw dropper effect just for the sake of a good effect. Anything strong and big

Good luck whatever you decide to do.
Rolyan
View Profile
Special user
I'm fencing in my land; so far there are
590 Posts

Profile of Rolyan
Quote:
On May 9, 2014, kinesis wrote:
From the introductory email....

"...We would like an act very similar to Derren Brown with mind reading/ manipulation as opposed to magic tricks. The purpose of the event is to demonstrate the way the mind works/ how conscious overload can leave people blind to everything else. Full details can be given. Preferably with some humour, again like Derren Brown..."

Are we in danger of over thinking this. They want a mentalist not a magician (in their minds). They know Derren Brown, and they believe what he tells them re how it's done.

Can't you just do your normal effects but use patter to explain that they are what the organisors want. I could explain any effect I do as being due to sensory overload etc.

I really don't think this is all that difficult; do your effects and explain them a la Derren Brown. I'm not being dismissive, I've been in this situation myself and the above worked for me.
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2708 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Sorry Rolyan, I think you are over simplifying it.

FACEBOOK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » HELP / ADVICE WANTED (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL