The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » HELP / ADVICE WANTED (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
tpratt38
View Profile
Loyal user
New Orleans
279 Posts

Profile of tpratt38
For Mental Blind spots. I like Devin Knights Color= Stoop test effect Blindsight Outdone
Mental Threads....

Invoking your thoughts one thread at a time...

Creator of Voodoo Dowels
Rolyan
View Profile
Special user
I'm fencing in my land; so far there are
590 Posts

Profile of Rolyan
Quote:
On May 9, 2014, kinesis wrote:
Sorry Rolyan, I think you are over simplifying it.

I tried not to as it's worked (and works) for me. However, I may be missing something.

But to be honest......

"...We would like an act very similar to Derren Brown with mind reading/ manipulation as opposed to magic tricks. The purpose of the event is to demonstrate the way the mind works/ how conscious overload can leave people blind to everything else. Full details can be given. Preferably with some humour, again like Derren Brown..."

.......doesn't sound too difficult. But again, I accept that I may be missing something.
Heka Siosiri
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of Heka Siosiri
I don't know your audience but I would go with:
a Dead or Alive test, of course not dealing with death but choosing the two categories depending of what the company deals with (are they sellers?)
a Lie detector test (with a coin ploy a' la Turner) or, more for stage, like Derren did with the white/black ball in Something wicked... or Waters' Ode to Ekman, and fill whatever you chose with loads of explanations.
Some PWA principles probably is also what they are looking for, so as simple as PS or KK stuff, no need to complicate it.
Peter's "A gift from me to you" if you want to get them involved
If it's not too metaphysical a pulse stop routine to show the power of mind over the body.
If you can, some positive hypnotic inductions, or fake ones if yo think it suits the venue (Fraser)

Lots of possibilities
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2708 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Thank you guys. I have been ispired by informative web links, routines, suggestions and so much more. I've been contacted by PM and have shared some great ideas. I am in awe of the generosity shown by so many. Thank you, so very much.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
konjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
Iowa
395 Posts

Profile of konjurer
I think it might help to learn a bit more about the speaker and the actual material and concepts he is teaching. Sounds like it may be around the concept of multitasking. The human mind is can only process one concept at a time. When people get overloaded with too many tasks, the overhead associated with switching tasks becomes overwhelming. At this point the brain starts to lose track of tasks and the efficiency and productivity of the human brain starts to deteriorate.

Perhaps you could do a memory demonstration (ie, like Osterlind or from Corinda). Seems like you are multitasking and keeping of many bits of information. It seems impossible. In fact, you are processing each bit of information separately before moving on to the next piece of information.

Then for a fun exercise, look up the "multitasking test" and do that. This is not mentalism but it is an eye-opener.

Then explain that anyone can do extraordinary mental tasks if they focus on a single task at a time. Explain that people need slack in their schedule in order to adapt to changing business environment. Then finish with a Magic Square.
===========================================
Clever stuff goes here!
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2708 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Konjurer, you are correct

From email "...In your demonstration we hope you can focus on – a demonstration of thought processes, conscious overload, distraction and mental blind spots.
Your demonstration will link to a presentation on ******** by the founder **** *****. I have requested a summary of his presentation for your information and will forward that in advance of the event..."

I like your ideas, thank you.

Derek

FACEBOOK
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2708 Posts

Profile of kinesis
The plot thickens; one of the focal points of the day will be mental impairment due to drug or alcohol abuse. My client would like me to incorporate this theme into the act some how. So I'm going to get blind drunk the night before and forget to turn up for the gig. Seriously though, they keep altering the requirements and time is going on. This is a very bespoke show.

FACEBOOK
Heka Siosiri
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of Heka Siosiri
Well, if you're into hypnosis a couple of things could be done, make the subject drunk or make him forget something.
If you're not may I suggest to look into Jermay's work. Then you can alter the patter and stories behind how it suits you.
Anyway, awful client.
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2708 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Thanks Heka, The client is paying a lot of money so.... Smile

FACEBOOK
Medifro
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami
1261 Posts

Profile of Medifro
These concepts have been a life long fascination and indeed a topic of a Tedx talk I did (24 mins speech with just one trick performed, unfortunately video isn't available ). I'm educated in these areas as they happen to be close to my professional life. I understand they need demonstrations, you run the risk of being viewed as a hack if there're people who are knowledgeable about the concepts who would wonder about how what you're doing is related to the topics. Ideally I'd start by getting educated about them though it will take time which I doubt you have. Fortunately Their exposure to these topics is pretty laymen since they didn't use any of the actual scientific terms.

Good points above. I'll point out addtional guidelines.

I'd make a point of knowing if they're requesting a speech or a performance. A speech would contain more information along with performance pieces to demonstrate the concepts ( demonstrations that preferably are legitimate ). A performance obviously is the other way around.

Another way to look at it is this: You can design the show with the aim of increasing their level of awareness about themselves ( my favorite in all of performance arts, and what our field is most capable of doing ). Are there other speakers talking about similar topics ( life coaches .. etc )? I'd be great to have a general idea about them so you'd tailor the show accordingly.

For tricks, the presentation and narrative is obviously up to you, though you can consider this:

Distractions: demos that shows off how our attention works or rather the lack of it.
Thought Process: Readings, predictions.
Mental Blindspots: Predictions. Also applies for distractions.
Alcohol or drug abuse: Dual reality based effects as hallucinations. Max Krause had an effect in his penguin lectures where 2 specs see apparently things differently using Out to Lunch.

You don't need to tackle each one as long as the atmosphere of the show fits the theme as a whole.

Incidentally I do think mentalists should educate themselves on different disciplines studying the Mind. Faking psychic powersspirit contact used to be the hype in the early days. Today its NLP and body language though New Age mentalism is making a return. Currently though we live in age where science and philosophy of mind are flourishing. Seeing fresh perspectives on themes of magic & mentalism will be very refreshing.

Hope this helps,
- Feras
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Quote:
On May 14, 2014, kinesis wrote:
The plot thickens; one of the focal points of the day will be mental impairment due to drug or alcohol abuse. My client would like me to incorporate this theme into the act some how. So I'm going to get blind drunk the night before and forget to turn up for the gig. Seriously though, they keep altering the requirements and time is going on. This is a very bespoke show.

These are not good clients Derek. you need to put up boundaries. your an entertainer not a counselor. You can't do the above. you should call them speak to them find out the purpose of our spot etc etc....

They sound really confused. Its your job to guide them onto something that will work. Entertainment your not an alcohol or drug counselor. You need to make that clear.
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2708 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Thanks MindPunisher, I have a telecom arranged with the team leader at 10.30am this morning. I actually have a nice 30 min prepared but we'll see what the outcome of the conversation is. Don't worry I had similar concerns as you have raised and will be discussing them.

FACEBOOK
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2708 Posts

Profile of kinesis
I had a 35min telecom with the client. Had a very good briefing and it's all good. Thanks to many of you here on The Café I have an exciting 30 minute spot which covers cognitive blindness, mental impairment through alcohol abuse and overcoming subconscious FAPs (Fixed Action Patterns). Just got a wee bit of work on the scripting to do but I should be good.

Thanks to everyone who posted, PM'd and called me.

Derek

FACEBOOK
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
They sound like they know how to party.....are you just going to get ****ed with them? Till you can't stand or see?
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2708 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Quote:
On May 19, 2014, mindpunisher wrote:
They sound like they know how to party.....are you just going to get ****ed with them? Till you can't stand or see?

LMAO - sounds like the better option

FACEBOOK
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2708 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Now the boss is questioning my fee. WTF!!! Smile

FACEBOOK
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2708 Posts

Profile of kinesis
So they had my fee right from the start. We discussed the topics for the effects. Not easy. During a very long telecom we discussed the individual routines and how they met the topic criteria. We discussed lighting, stage set, audience layout. We agreed I'd write my show intro. I was to email the client the routine outline, intro and fee. Within 24hrs the project manager was challenging my fee for 2 x 30 minute spots. I explained that I understand that on paper it does appear a lot. However it's not just 2 x 30 minutes. There's a 5 hour round trip to Aberdeen and back. I will be at the event potentially from 12 noon til 4pm. This adds up to a 9 hour day. There has been a substantial number of hours taken to create what are essentially bespoke routines specific to this event. I still need many hours to script and rehearse the full routine in time for the event. Three days later and still no decision has been made. This is a global company within the oil industry worth around $180 000 Million. Now it's the weekend, still waiting - I'm just a tad pi$$ed off.

FACEBOOK
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Its not worth it just dump them. They will never be happy and you will struggle to get paid.

Its not about an hourly rate. you are an Entertainer not one of their employees.

They are the clients from hell.

I would have dumped them by now.
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2366 Posts

Profile of C.J.
Call me old-fashioned, but I wouldn't think the "dump and run" is going to be particularly good for your reputation if they are as big as you say. No news is good news, as they say. Maybe they will come through. If they don't, let them dump you, not the other way around. It's Dale Carnegie 101.
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2708 Posts

Profile of kinesis
I'm holding tight. I have been assured they will get back to me as soon a possible. They sure won't find anyone else to take this one on.

FACEBOOK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » HELP / ADVICE WANTED (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL