We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Invisible Readings & Shoutout to Enrique (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12085 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Jun 26, 2014, IAIN wrote:
Yes - a system, an oracle, a framework... basically means "learn the rules of the game"...

What system Iain do you find is most accessible. Meaning without any troubling the participant. I am leaning towards playing card cartomancy. They are always accessible and quite normal. During the course of a card effect a reading could be established.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18822 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I have had roman Catholics say they were against tarot, but they were fine with cartomancy...

but I know some religions are against any kind of readings...

so why not learn graphology instead?
I've asked to be banned
jeremymar
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of jeremymar
With regard to Roman Catholics I once gave a nun a reading! As for graphology the best book on the subject is by Ariel Frailich called "Reading Writing" I can recommend it thoroughly. I have actually been on television doing graphology readings but of course I was faking it! Mind you, it went over very well!
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18822 Posts

Profile of IAIN
The other thing to consider is john, and its the bigger question - is why do you want to give readings?
I've asked to be banned
jeremymar
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of jeremymar
If you learn the Tarot you are automically ready to do playing card readings anyway since regular cards come from the Tarot (or is it the other way round-I always forget). The only problem with playing cards is that you do not get the Major ARcana in a regular deck and this does limit the reading somewhat. Still, I have done this on occasion and it does work.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18822 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I don't agree, you use the court cards from a regular deck...these can be used in a similar way to the majors...
I've asked to be banned
jeremymar
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of jeremymar
Yes. But if you do that then you limit yourself in another way. You now have no PEOPLE! The King of Staves is the King of Clubs, the Knight of Cups is the Jack of Hearts. What have you done to them? Where are they? I suppose you could double up by giving a court card a major arcana meaning and a people meaning but that seems to be a very cumbersome procedure to me. And moreover there are 22 cards in the Major ARcana and only 12 court cards in a regular deck.

I can do playing card readings and indeed do them very well. Oddly enough I did a playing card reading the other day when Paul R Wilson was present although he was not the querent. It worked very well and the querent sent me a message later saying that although he was a sceptic he was astonished by the reading. However, Tarot readings are far superior.

I really am terribly good at this, you know and you should listen to the advice of a master.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18822 Posts

Profile of IAIN
The court cards are full of people, and for me they are all about how a family interact with one another as well as what they mean as individuals - family dynamic vs the individual...

it depends on what method you are using the read the playing cards...
I've asked to be banned
jeremymar
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of jeremymar
Yes. The court cards ARE full of people! And I think you are full of it too. But if you are saying the court cards are people what happens to the Hanged Man, the Tower Card, the Sun card etc;? They can't be people but simultaneously be the Major Arcana too. People are in the minor arcana.

My point is that although it is a nice thing to be able to read playing cards in a pinch as a substitute for the Tarot you are far better off with the latter rather than the former. Besides the "vibes" jump out at you better with the Tarot.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18822 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Never said they could be attributed to the major arcana, I just said they can be used like the major arcana...massive difference you silly old goat...
I've asked to be banned
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18822 Posts

Profile of IAIN
And by silly old goat, I mean mark Lewis...

that's you that is...
I've asked to be banned
jeremymar
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of jeremymar
It appears that Iain is jumping to conclusions concerning my identity. He is adding up two and two and getting five. In other words he is quite WRONG. I am NOT Mark Lewis! It does make one wonder a trifle about his ability to do psychic readings. I think an abject apology is in order.

But let us get back to the Tarot and regular playing cards. I shall repeat my point as I am getting a psychic vibe he is a little slow on the uptake. How on earth can you say court cards are people AND ALSO then say that they are representing the major arcana? You can't have it both ways. My point is that without the major arcana playing cards are very limited and not quite as powerful.

Now if you are NOT saying that the court cards represent the major arcana then what the hell are you talking about by saying that they can be used instead? I do hope your readings show a bit more clarity when you do them for your clients. I must say that this section of the magic Café has always amused me. Everyone talks about readings yet I have not seen the slightest evidence that anyone knows the slightest thing about them.

I do though............................
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18822 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Well, if you contact mark lewis, and tell him to read the pdf I gave him months ago, maybe he would be able to tell you how...

just in case you are finding it hard to follow. the two posts I had made about the subject are as follows:
"I don't agree, you use the court cards from a regular deck...these can be used in a similar way to the majors..."
please note the term 'similar', if you have a dictionary to hand, please look up that word.

i also said:
"The court cards are full of people, and for me they are all about how a family interact with one another as well as what they mean as individuals - family dynamic vs the individual...it depends on what method you are using the read the playing cards..."

if you have trouble understanding any of the above words or sentences, please get in touch.
I've asked to be banned
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18822 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I should also add, that even if you think I know nothing, richard webster thought I did a good job in writing up my own method for reading playing cards, in fact he said this about it:

"I've read your Metaph Oracle three times now, and learned a great deal each time. I love the imagination approach to readings. I love your three card reading format. I love the balance idea, and also love the reaction these readings create in others. You've removed the whole "fortune telling" aspect of the reading, and created a process of mutual discovery. The readings are enchanting, magical, helpful, and inspirational. I'm going to use your system regularly.

Congratulations! This is a major advance in cartomancy, and should feel very proud. Thank you very much once again. I hope you do really well with this."

so there..
I've asked to be banned
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18822 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I'm not sure if this is the tarot course that mark lewis had burned to dvd for me many years ago - but this might be of use to someone...
http://www.internationalmagic.com/produc......wis.html
I've asked to be banned
jeremymar
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of jeremymar
Mr Lewis is a very busy man and has board meetings to attend. I suspect he would be bored meeting you. However, I do not know the gentleman personally and have no wish to disturb him. I still want to know how court cards can be used in a similar way to the Major Arcana and at the same time represent people. When I do readings the court cards (which are actually represented in the Tarot too as knights, queens and kings, with an extra category which is pages)are people just as you do. But there is no major arcana in a regular deck so the readings cannot possibly be as powerful.

Show me how the court cards can represent sacrifice in the same way that the Hanged man does? Show me how court cards can represent victory after a struggle like the Chariot Card does. Show me how court cards can represent the death of the old and the beginning of the new in the same way that the Death card can do.

Dearie me no. These are the sort of readings that magic Café readers do in pubs and bars. Rather silly entertainment sessions which last 5 minutes or so. And spending money on silly books and leaflets which do not explain things in the proper manner and teach short silly sessions instead of how do advanced work which means 30 minute to one hour sessions.

No. That sort of thing requires erudite and intuitive people like me to explain these matters to the uninitiated. Alas I haven't seen any on this section.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18822 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I fear a dictionary would be useless to you if you cannot understand the word similar.
I've asked to be banned
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18822 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Its under the letter S, if you get stuck.
I've asked to be banned
jeremymar
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of jeremymar
Very well. Since you evoke the holy name of Richard Webster who can do no wrong I shall contact Mr Lewis if he is still alive to see if he can find whatever it was you sent him. I shall get his opinion on the matter. As to the International Magic DVDs I have been led to understand that Mr Lewis has a large number of them in stock and would be happy to sell them direct and deprive International Magic of well deserved revenue after they worked him to death in London. And no. These DVDs are new ones altogether and are not connected with the 1993 course which is the best in the industry although the least known. And better value since they are much cheaper and twice as long. 2 hours in length to be exact. Here is an excerpt from such:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnsjG6SRXRY

And:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4yBOE9kUj0

And of course I have been led to believe he has the 1993 course too. Five DVDs and two audio CDs.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Thank you gentlemen, the last group of posts have put a smile on my face as well as have me thinking.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Invisible Readings & Shoutout to Enrique (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL