The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Osterlind - The Professional Mentalist's Field Manual (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Brent, please note the phrase "All seriousness aside" and the silly comment that the entire penny bending chapter consists of "The penny bends."

Richard should never tip his method. I have BEGGED him to take it to his grave. I don't wanna know. In all seriousness (In this paragraph, I am not joking nor attempting satire or lampoon.) my nose was almost touching the penny when he showed it to me, and it was completely out in the open - and bending. My wife (Hi, Doll-face!) reported an even more unbelievable incident to me, in which Richard was across the room from her and the penny was in her hand.

*jeep! & God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I got my copy the other day - lots practical tips including what to wear and other ideas gained from a lifetime of experiences.

I would so far compare this more to Jamie D Grant's "Approach" in terms of what is contained within.

It is a relatively small book (field manual size!) and there are lots of nuggets designed to get a performer up to speed faster and with less hassle and pain.

I also think it would be more comparable to aspects of Ken Weber's great book in terms of advice for a performer.

So far I think it's great.

Now I need to get rid of all my fashionable light colored suits: I'm devastated Smile
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Once again I repeat: no effects in the book. It is a derailed guide of how to be the best possible entertainer and Mentalist. More similar to ken Weber's "Maximum Entertainment"
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Detailed !!!

Not derailed. Darn spellcheck. Lol
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Glad you guys are enjoying the new Osterlind output, scooped by yours truly! Smile
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1579 Posts

Profile of Jared
Received and read it...excellent advice given throughout. Anything that Richard Osterlind authors is well worth your time. I hope that he writes "The Mentalist's Field Manual II"...the post-graduate edition.

-Jared
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I agree.

The longest chapter describes in detail the reasons certain effects are used in his stage show - most of which we know and love.

The details are not in how to do the effects, but rather the thinking behind each effect - why bank Night is his opener, and why what comes next makes sense from a performance perspective.

For me this was very helpful as I have agonized prior to many shows as to which material to use, what should be an opener, and how various effects compliment (or don't compliment) one another.

A little over 100 pages of nuggets of pure gold and silver.
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Great to hear all of the positive feedback. I'm happy to have brought this to your attention.
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Quote:
On May 29, 2014, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
Glad you guys are enjoying the new Osterlind output, scooped by yours truly! Smile

Jamie, I'm delighted that you got the word out here in the Land of Green Caffeine, but I don't think you know what the term "scooped" means - at least when it comes to news. No newspaper or news service would consider it a scoop to file a story an hour after a press release had been made public. Especially when the press release had come from the source itself - Jim Sisti & Richard Osterlind, each of Osterlind Mysteries.

- 30 -
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I got the email from osterlind directly way before your posts Jamie.

Cut the ego and just relax so we can all discuss the actual subject matter rather then your mindless blathering.

Go buy the book and review it - do something useful huh?
GaMind
View Profile
New user
Atlanta, GA
73 Posts

Profile of GaMind
Just received my copy of Richard's new book -- no surprise, it's as strong as all of you mentioned. One of my favorite chapters so far was the one on advice and perspective. A good reality check for all of us!
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Quote:
On Jun 14, 2014, GaMind wrote:
Just received my copy of Richard's new book -- no surprise, it's as strong as all of you mentioned. One of my favorite chapters so far was the one on advice and perspective. A good reality check for all of us!

That's great to hear GaMind. Thanks for reporting back.

I might have another scoop you'll definitely be interested in. Watch this space.
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1452 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
I received my copy last week. Very pleased with the material. Richard 'rocks'!

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
ReviewerMaster
View Profile
Veteran user
307 Posts

Profile of ReviewerMaster
Huge fan of Osterlind. This is going to be good..
David Martin
View Profile
Regular user
East Lyme, CT
118 Posts

Profile of David Martin
For the best advice on professionalism in general, look no further than this fantastic book!
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

I'm glad you're all loving the new book. I'm happy to have brought it to your attention via the Café.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Osterlind - The Professional Mentalist's Field Manual (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL