The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » New to Mentalism (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
I am not new to magic, but have just started getting into mentalism. I was wondering where the best place to learn the art is. I tried the internet, but it has little more than card forces. I know there are some great mentalists on the café, and would like to know where to start.
thanks,
Zach
Reality is a real killjoy.
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2828 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Bob Cassidy's 39 Steps to Mentalism would be a wise place to start your journey:

http://www.lybrary.com/thirtynine-steps-mentalism-a-10.html
MatthewSims
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of MatthewSims
39 steps is a great place to start, but new material has since came out that isn't on there.

I HIGHLY recommend you get Bob Cassidys "The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy: Vol 2". In my humble opinion, there is simply no better book to start with.

And yes, I am suggesting vol 2 FIRST. Bob even suggests this as well.

Matthew
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1597 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
Once you familiarise yourself with Bob's list, the next step is to go out and do! The best way to learn, is to do.
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
The 39 steps is free to read at the link provided earlier and in my signature below.

It is true that new material comes out virtually every day, but the books on my lists are there for a reason. They are, for the most part, classics and will provide you with a foundation that will give you a different perspective on more recent works.
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2366 Posts

Profile of C.J.
As I say to a lot of newcomers, Mentalism is a surprisingly broad field. I second Bob's list as the perfect starting place, but perhaps to some, the idea of 39 books to read as their first challenge might seem a little overwhelming (and some of them are out of print and very hard to find!). In particular, what aspects of mentalism have caught your attention and made you want to learn this art? What effects do you want to be able to achieve? Your answers to these questions will help us advise you more clearly on which books to begin with. If you're not sure how to answer, then "13 Steps to Mentalism" by Tony Corinda is a great book for laying out some of the core principles of mentalism to allow you to get an overview.
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Yes, CJ, there are a few books on the list that are OP or hard to find. But all of the major works listed there remain available.
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
Quote:
On May 10, 2014, C.J. wrote:
As I say to a lot of newcomers, Mentalism is a surprisingly broad field. I second Bob's list as the perfect starting place, but perhaps to some, the idea of 39 books to read as their first challenge might seem a little overwhelming (and some of them are out of print and very hard to find!). In particular, what aspects of mentalism have caught your attention and made you want to learn this art? What effects do you want to be able to achieve? Your answers to these questions will help us advise you more clearly on which books to begin with. If you're not sure how to answer, then "13 Steps to Mentalism" by Tony Corinda is a great book for laying out some of the core principles of mentalism to allow you to get an overview.

I really like the effects where you talk to them for a while then reveal things about them, such as a pin number favorite place to travel etc. I know this is a bit advanced, but that is my favorite kind of mentalism. I also like spoon bending and telekinesis, but hate carrying gimmicks and invisible thread.
Stu Montgomery
View Profile
Veteran user
St Petersburg FL
354 Posts

Profile of Stu Montgomery
39 Steps, anything by Richard Osterlind and/or Colin McLoud (Colin Cloud - Forensic Mind reader)(Opening Minds).
"Round about what is, lies a whole mysterious world of might be" Longfellow.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Welcome! You sound like you already have a pretty clear picture of what you want to do. All of the resources mentioned are great. I will give you the same advice that Bob Cassidy gave me when I first started my switch from magic to mentalism and started posting in this section. Learn b***et work. It is so incredibly versatile and is a blank slate for you to create miracles. If you study b****ts you will be able to achieve the types of effects you've mentioned.
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
I’d also advise, as you’re reading 39 Steps, to pay close attention to WHY Bob chose certain books. There’s an education just in his reasoning. You don’t have to get everything at once (probably best if you DON’T!). Bob explains what’s best for beginners and what will be better for later on. Best guide anywhere.
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
BrandonBeckerMentalist
View Profile
New user
Pennsylvania, USA
32 Posts

Profile of BrandonBeckerMentalist
Anneman's practical mental magic is good, as is Corrinda's book. if you want to use actual psychology in your effects, my ebook Real Mentalism will be out next month.
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Bob ~

I was reading a passage from "The Amateur Magician's Handbook" to some well know people just a few days ago. The particular passage is on page 4. I mean seriously page 4 and there are still hundreds of pages to go. The passage in question says "You let the audience perform their own magic with coaching from you." I believe that sums up a lot.

I can't get people to read the first two chapters of that book yet I believe they are two of the most relevant we have. That was the only book I had for the first ten years of my magical life. Fortunately it was a good one.

~ Dan
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

I agree completely. That is why it is the first book I recommend to anyone starting in magic OR mentalism.

"Hard Easy Tricks and Easy Hard Tricks" is a chapter that should be required reading.
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
Quote:
On May 11, 2014, BrandonBeckerMentalist wrote:
Anneman's practical mental magic is good, as is Corrinda's book. if you want to use actual psychology in your effects, my ebook Real Mentalism will be out next month.

I do want to use psychology, so I might check that out. I know it will take practice, but will your book cover how to divine a name, or name of a place, by simply talking to them and reading facial responses? That Idea is one of the things that made me want to get into mentalism.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Zach- the idea that you can get the name of a place simply by reading facial expressions is a presentational PREMISE, not an actual method used in mentalism. Do as I suggested and build a foundation in the fundamentals of the art.
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
Quote:
On May 17, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Zach- the idea that you can get the name of a place simply by reading facial expressions is a presentational PREMISE, not an actual method used in mentalism. Do as I suggested and build a foundation in the fundamentals of the art.

I saw a description of something like this that Colin McLeod could do on ellusionist. It was not for sale, but just a testament to how good a mentalist he is. It may be hyper exaggerated being ellusionist, but I was hoping.
Craig Logan
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
541 Posts

Profile of Craig Logan
Quote:
On May 17, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:

I heard Kenton Knepper in an interview recently discussing this problem of people chase methods or flashy "Darren Brown-esque" effects without a foundation in mentalism. One can easily be swallowed up by the overwhelming number of things to build with in mentalism, but it is rather useless if you don't have a good and solid foundation. This forum is what grounded me when I first jumped into mentalism only a few months ago.
"A wizard is not to be made in a day." -Professor Hoffmann (Modern Magic)
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
You need to read books, keep notes, watch mentalists. Be willing to go down a pile of rabbit holes. Immerse yourself. Eventually you'll find material and ideas that resonate with you. DON'T pay any attention to the flavour of the week stuff people sometimes get so hyped up about.

Bob C's Fundamentals 2 is the single best starting point. Read it at least twice.

DON'T listen to advice that tells you to start with Corinda and Annemann. You need a grounding in what mentalism is first before they will make sense to you.

Relax and enjoy the ride. Feel free to come by here and ask questions. And welcome...it's a splendid ride.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
I looked through the 39 steps, but I don't know where to start. These books are expensive, and I am on a tight budget. What book should I start with that covers the most essential concepts?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » New to Mentalism (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL