The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Gateway to Hell (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1753 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
I live in Lawrence, Kansas. A community I drive through probably weekly - about 10 minutes from my home - has an interesting history. http://www.weirdus.com/states/kansas/sto......to_hell/

This is ripe for an effect by those in this forum. If anyone would like to collaborate on such an effect, I have the ability to go and take photos, tombstone rubbings, gather soil samples, etc.

All the best,

David
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1812 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
David,

Great urban legend, and suitably spooky location.

What about a guided visualisation down the steps into hell itself, followed by an encounter with old nick, culminating with him marking the particpant with a firey talon and a discovery of this mark on their arm when they awaken from the visualization. Not a particularly original routine, but its late and I'm running on adrenaline after 96 hours of dealing with a very high intensity situation.

Anyone else gonna riff on this?
Poveglia
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando, FL
238 Posts

Profile of Poveglia
I'll make this one of my stops when I get back to the States. Thanks for the link!
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5941 Posts

Profile of george1953
A great story, I have a cousin who lives in Kansas, I will have to ask her if she knows anything about this place.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1512 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
I visited the cemetery in 1989, on a trip across the mid-west in search of a small medallion from Northeastern Spain, the crest of the Cruzat family, my family ancestors. It was personally owned by Father Seelos, one of the founders of the Ursuline order. It was a minor if unremarkable artifact but I wanted it back in the family. It was stolen from the relic room at the Ursuline Convent in New Orleans, sometime in the late 1980's.

I had traced it's possible location to Stull, mainly through my reading of family documents and the kind access to the Ursuline archives that was awarded to me for a steamy romp one night with the archive receptionist Roberta. Roberta was an intern there, a strangely dark-skinned descendant of French settlers.

In the archives I found a note pertaining to a Dr. Cyrus Bentham, a minor functionary in the archaeology department at the University of Kansas at Lawrence. He had once asked to see the medallion, if I remember it was April of 1986. I did not find out if he ever had the chance to visit the convent, or to view the medal, but his interest struck me as unusual. Why would a Kansas university employee be interested in a medal from Spain, housed in religious orders small cache of relics?

Each summer I would pick a location for my search, so in that year, 1989 I decided to catch up with Bentham in Lawrence. He was a unforgetable man to say the least, gave me a lot of chatter about "markers" that lead to certain portals, certain places I did not want to visit. For whatever reason he believed that the Cruzat crest held a clue to one of those portals, and that portal was in the Stull cemetery.

Even though I felt I had just wasted that summers quest, I decided to make the most of my time and money and I drove out with him to the cemetery on horribly hot July morning.

Was it at all possible that Bentham was actually connected to the missing medallion?
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Thanks for the Share, David !
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Intrepid
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, MD
989 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Quote:
On May 11, 2014, David Eichler wrote:
I live in Lawrence, Kansas. A community I drive through probably weekly - about 10 minutes from my home - has an interesting history. http://www.weirdus.com/states/kansas/sto......to_hell/

This is ripe for an effect by those in this forum. If anyone would like to collaborate on such an effect, I have the ability to go and take photos, tombstone rubbings, gather soil samples, etc.

All the best,

David

While not mentioned, I can only assume that after the church and the tree where destroyed that the town has suffered from a rash of mysterious tragedies (notably on the anniversaries of their destruction), as if brought upon them by an angry force that has been disturbed by their destruction. ;-)
Bob
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1812 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
Al didn't just riff on this, he composed a symphony. Great story, has a lot of elements I love.

Intrepid, a rash of misfortunes would indeed seem appropriate.
Doc Ben
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix, AZ
239 Posts

Profile of Doc Ben
Al, Your writing and creative talent as evident in the above "novella-quito" is awesome....wonderful makings of a back story for someone who wanted to work up a performance piece on such a medallion! (maybe someone with Dan's M@m#=to Mo×i from LebCirc..?)
Smile
"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain" (the original F. Baum)
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1512 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On May 11, 2014, Doc Ben wrote:
Al, Your writing and creative talent as evident in the above "novella-quito" is awesome....wonderful makings of a back story for someone who wanted to work up a performance piece on such a medallion! (maybe someone with Dan's M@m#=to Mo×i from LebCirc..?)
Smile

Thank you. That's why I stopped at the reference to a "medallion." If someone likes the setup, I suspect they know where to go next with the story, and possibly a certain genre of prop.
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
For our UK brethren, here's a full catalogue of over 100 entrances to hell to be found in our beautiful isles:
http://www.entrances2hell.co.uk/

Here's a sample:

Benidormo

Grantham, Lincolnshire

Benidormo is made of glass and is where the devil famously had both of his wrists broken by Sinbad 12 centuries ago. Benidormo has a heartbeat and a robot arm.

Radiation trace: minimal
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1753 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
Yes, Al. Brilliant!

Thanks to all. Feel free to share more...
dorian_faust
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles, California
247 Posts

Profile of dorian_faust
Well, by my house at Stanford University, we have the actual Gates of Hell.
dorian_faust
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles, California
247 Posts

Profile of dorian_faust
Of course the picture didn't load. Try this - http://www.christianoz.com/Blog/Favorite......)-X2.jpg
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5941 Posts

Profile of george1953
Some doorway !
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Quote:
On May 16, 2014, george1953 wrote:
Some doorway !

That is the awesome Rodin sculpture.
I saw it when it visited here in NYC at the MET.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gates_of_Hell
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1469 Posts

Profile of Darkness
I never thought of the gates of hell being a work of art... is that to get you to touch it Smile
Louis Cypher
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of Louis Cypher
This post inspired me to write this little story, hope you like it Smile
All the best Louis.

THE GATE

William and Jack were two typical Eastend kids, only a year separated the brothers, they did everything together.
In spring of 1943 they were finally evacuated from their beloved home in Hackney, to live with a family in Penrith in the north west of England.
You see London had became too unsafe for the brothers as the nightly bombing raids were getting far to close for comfort, two streets away too close, so finally, the boys mother Mary, agreed and they were to join the thousands of children being evacuated from London to the safety of the country.
Although the boys were very happy in the country as there was so much room to play and explore, but they desperately missed their mother and the neighbourhood.
At last the war was over and the boys received the letter they had been longing for, the letter saying they could come home.
When they arrived back in London the streets were just pile upon pile of rubble, smoke and broken belongings, or "treasure" as the boys called it.
Their street was one of the lucky ones, 23 houses out of 72 were still standing (sort of). There were big gaps in the street where homes once stood, as if, teeth punched out of a boxers jaw.
Their mother had warned them about the very real danger of unexploded bombs and at school, lessons were given with graphic photos of children with missing limbs who didn't listen to the warnings, needless to say the boys continued with their "treasure hunting".
One day, while on yet another one of their adventures, the boys were clambering over what must have been a disused Rectory and they discovered a large, heavy wooden door, almost off it's iron hinges, around the door were ancient looking symbols. Try as they might neither William or Jack could open the door, they tried together and as they pulled, a cloud of fowl smelling dust and whiffs of a dark shifting smoke came creeping out the cracks and seemed to move all round Jack as if weaving a smokey cocoon.
The next thing William remembers was waking up alone and cold on a pile of rubble outside what once was the wooden door, which now was only a bricked up arch. In Williams hand was a large old iron key. William stuffed it in his pocket.
Jack was nowhere to be seen. William started to look for his brother, late into the night, but with no luck, in the end he was brought home by a local policeman. The policeman said he was alone and calling out for this brother, who was nowhere to be seen.
Over the next few days teams of men with poles looked through the rubble trying to find Jack but there was no sign of him anywhere, days turned to weeks and still nothing, then a year to the day, a man in a long black coat and wide brimmed hat came knocking at the door of their house. William's mother was just a shadow of her former self after losing her husband to the war and now her youngest son, these were very dark times.
William's mother answered the door to the stranger, and he introduced himself as Mr. Wicks, a finder of lost things. He asked very politely if he could speak to William about the night of his brothers disappearance, and for the first time William told Mr. Wicks about the wooden door and the smelly dusty smoke. William showed the Mr. Wicks the key he had kept hidden and the mans expression turned to that of deep concern.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Gateway to Hell (7 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL