The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Lefty or Ambidextrous Coin Sleights? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Wilktone
View Profile
Loyal user
Asheville, NC
231 Posts

Profile of Wilktone
I'm getting more serious about improving my coin magic and bought Bobo's "Modern Coin Magic." I have previously worked from Roth's "Expert Coin Magic Made Easy" Vol. 1. As a lefty, I found it easiest to follow Roth's instructions in mirror image from his video. Now reading through Bobo's book, I realize that it's easier for me to follow initially reversing his instructions.

My question is, would it be best to concentrate on practicing sleights with my dominant hand to speed up my ability to gain facility faster or would it be best (longer-term) to practice sleights with both hands? With cards this doesn't seem to be as much as an issue, but with coins I could see it being much more advantageous to be able to perform slights confidently with both hands.

Thanks!

Dave
Tree
View Profile
Loyal user
Wiggle Wiggle
295 Posts

Profile of Tree
IMO the only thing to learn with both hands is the Classic Palm,
otherwise everything else can be done with your left hand.
Check out the coin forum, "Nothing up my sleeve" for more info.
Many will argue that one should learn as much as possible with
both hands, but I've found that truly unnecessary, but that's mo.
Enjoy the Journey!

Welcome to the Café
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
981 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Ive tried to learn all coin/small object slights with both hands. This is especially important for impromptu work. This will avoid awkward transfers of a coin or object to get it in the correct hand for a slight.

As you develop specific routines, this becomes less important since the amount of impromptu work decreases. That said, I develop routines with keeping left/right hand skills current. For example, I keep Nest of Wallets in my front left pocket specifically to require that I keep a left to right pass practiced while I use a right to left pass for chop cup work.

Hudson
jhudsy
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of jhudsy
I try to learn with both hands, just to keep the dexterity up. Oddly enough, what stops me doing more with my left is my wedding ring, too much of a tell with coins, and I typically forget to take it off.
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
In one way of looking at it you actually have an advantage over the “norms”. Smile

You should practice it the way it’s most comfortable for you; that’s what will get results, but you should also do some work at getting it in the “other” direction as well. You may never be truly ambidextrous but all the muscle training you can get is of benefit.

As a personal example, I’m a lefty. I learned to make numbers on a white board using my right hand. This allows me to SIMULTANEOUSLY use a PW with my left. People do notice that my “writing” hand is never out of sight!

The more “different” ways you have of doing the same thing, the less likely you are to be burned.
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Lefty or Ambidextrous Coin Sleights? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL