The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Spinnerets by Steven X...WOW! (30 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
normative
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of normative
Quote:
On Oct 13, 2015, jstone wrote:

I reviewed it, and among the many issues I had with it, one of the biggest was the fact that the ad copy was misleading (to be polite). The written ad copy claims that you can levitate cake, ice cream, meatballs, grapes and more. None of those objects were shown or taught on the DVD. Frankly, I don't see how it's possible. Further, the main gist of the ad copy is that this is the kind of thing that you can carry with you any where and be ready any time to perform these effects. This is simply not true with many of the effects shown on the DVD and the ad trailer.

So, I've got to give you "cake & ice cream" which it seems hard to imagine how you could float just on weight grounds (though presumably you could use two spinnerets to create invisible "rails" and suspend something light enough on a paper plate). But some of the criticisms there sound—with no snark intended—more like failure of imagination than deceptive marketing. Yes, if you LITERALLY want to perform nude, you probably have to use the method that causes the spinneret to disintegrate, but for gigs where you happen to be wearing a button-down shirt or a belt, it's not rocket science to think of alternate handlings that don't have that drawback. (Which is how I prefer to use them anyway for other reasons.) Yes, the video doesn't walk you through floating foods other than strawberries, but surely you can generalize from that example and quickly prepare an item on the table wherever you're performing? (Again, admittedly easier if you're not actually nude & can cop something to prep in a pocket.) We're maybe not talking literally instantaneous impromptu performance, but with a bit of practice I think most of these setups could be done quite rapidly and surreptitiously, with the benefit that you can plant the spinneret (and maybe spin a thread), leave it, and come back to the prepped object after interacting clean with spectators (which for obvious reasons you probably don't want to attempt with your ITR).

For the cigarette float, here's an alternative I came up with that lets you use a borrowed pack: Just take some cigarette rolling paper and some double sided scotch tape & make a tiny packet of cigarette paper that's sticky on one side, and use that with a spinneret. Voila, now you can attach it externally to a borrowed smoke in a way that's pretty much invisible if the spectator's more than a few inches away.

I'll agree that in most settings you'd probably be better off just using, say, a Spider Pen—but there are contexts in which I think spinnerets have distinct advantages (like the ability to spin multiple "webs" that the performer can temporarily walk away from) if you're willing to apply a little ingenuity. I certainly wouldn't have minded a longer instructional video with some more routines, but most of this seems like stuff performers can be trusted to work out for themselves based on what is taught.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Spinnerets by Steven X...WOW! (30 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL