The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Looking for Engraving advice (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3085 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
I'm looking at getting some kind of engraving tool, its primary purpose will be to engrave numbers into relatively dense metal.
There seems to be a huge gap between the cheap pens (the ones I've tested look more like scratches than engravings) and the large professional machines (laser, mechanical, etc.) which are very expensive.

Curious if anyone has a suggestion for something that is not too expensive and effective and creating clean and relatively deep-looking engravings?

e
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
I used to engrave on glass and used a dremel drill with a diamond tip, but it was no good for metal. I asked a local engraver who said the cheapest solution was to stamp the metal, but I only ever found letter punches that looked quite crude.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3085 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
I do have a set of number punches, which I've experimented with.
When compared to laser engraving, they are less than ideal.

e
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1682 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Maybe using those places at the malls that sell stuff and engrave them (do not recall the name?)
Pablo
magicwatcher2005
View Profile
Elite user
Washington state
446 Posts

Profile of magicwatcher2005
Your question is too broad. Are you seeking to engrave the metal for unseen (by spectators) serial number purposes, or is it decorative? The two needs are so different as to suggest entirely different methods.
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3085 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Engravings are on coin and need to be large and obvious.
In response to earlier suggestion, mall or other commercial engravers are what I am trying to avoid. Seeking a high quality DIY solution.

e
Wizzard
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of Wizzard
Without knowing the type of metal you are trying to engrave it is hard to give you a suggestion.
You might try a "Trophy" Shop as they do engraving on plastic as well as metal, at least here in the States.
This can save a great deal of frustration in learning how to do "deep-looking engravings".
Acid etching may be another alternative. Fairly inexpensive, but caution is advised.
Good luck!

John
It's never the wand, it's always the magician
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2445 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
You could buy a laser cutting machine for about two grand, then sell it for almost what you paid for it.
Google laser cutting.
magicwatcher2005
View Profile
Elite user
Washington state
446 Posts

Profile of magicwatcher2005
Good luck doing decent"engraving" on metal with a $2000 laser.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
ESamuels, I believe you are looking in the wrong area. It is not engraving you are looking for, but metal stamping. Stamping hits the coin quick and leaves a deep impression, depending on the force of the stamp process. The cheapest method would be to get a metal stamp made, then make a hard wood block cut to hold the coin, then clamp it down with a lever clamp, when the stamp is hit it with a hammer it will leave the impression of a number.

I looked into having a finger ring engraved with deep initials many years ago, and found the same results you did. They are light lines only. The deep initials you see on such things as finger rings have been made by the jewelry company. It is not engraved, but stamped during manufacturer.

To verify, simply go to the oldest jeweler in your city that is not a chain operation. Usually not the prettiest store around, but the jeweler usually is very friendly and will take the time to discuss what you are trying to accomplish.
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3085 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Thanks, Bill.

The original samples I have, according to the manufacturer, were laser engraved.
I will have to confirm this to be accurate (there may have been a language issue).

I did test out a mall engraving shop.
After showing them the original, which they said they could not replicate, their result was a much thinner engraving.

I've used the metal stamp process and while it works, it just doesn't look nearly as good as the original.

Appreciate all the suggestions!

e
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Yah, that was my same experience at a Mall Engraving Store I had. I think it best not to just stop their, a professional Jeweler will have more knowledge then a Mall store. If it could be carved deep impressions, it would be very expensive, unless it is a one time engraving. If I were you, I would do some more local enquiries. I stopped when another Jeweler told me they could not do the deep cuts, so I went with the lighter scroll work.
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2445 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
Here is a company I have used many times. The customer service and turnaround time is amazing. They can engrave anything even non flat surfaces.
http://www.kallenshaanwoods.com/category......xes.html
chill
View Profile
Veteran user
colorado, usa
385 Posts

Profile of chill
Acid etch? a lot more work though.
I spent most of my money on magic and women, the rest i just wasted
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Looking for Engraving advice (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL