We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Teaching Magic one-on-one and in courses (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1781 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
My next big dvd project is on the subject of running a course of magic lessons. I have done hundreds of workshops lasting up to thirteen week course, to just four lessons, to just one lesson as a present.

I have a list of topics and questions which I will answer on the business side of it dvd, a dvd showing numerous lessons, and seveal dvds explaining the tricks in the lessons etc.

But if any of you guys have a question you would like me to address, please let me know and I can answer it for you both here and on the dvd.

Many thanks,

Steve
Jonty
View Profile
Regular user
England, UK
167 Posts

Profile of Jonty
So what kind of effects are you going to cover in your dvd's? It sounds like an interesting project, I look forward to seeing the finished result
Jonty the Magician
Children's Entertainer in West Yorkshire

www.magicadabra.co.uk
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1781 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
The effects will be covered on seperate discs. All the effects are simple to master, and cheap and easy to source (so they don't eat into your profits and are easy to replenish when you start running out).

I have a number of classes already recorded, but they were filmed using an old camera so Im hoping to refilm the workshops I have coming up with my HD camera.

The main dvd will be about the structure of the lessons, the different markets to promote too and understanding the differences between children and adults. I will also go over all the props, where to get them from, why certain tricks are taught over others and other stuff.

I realised there was nothing out there about running a course of lessons and since Ive been doing it for years and already have the footage, I might as well edit it together and help others should they wish to know.
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Dvd / internet courses are already available ... I use the six internet lessons per month from Duane Laflin (Grand Magic Magazine)

you need to be very good to be better a better tutor than Daune
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Lessons should be to get people to learn to perform the tricks. What ways are you suggesting for the teacher to check on the pupil's performing of tricks, and progress? And what venues are you suggesting teachers provide to see their pupils in action? Where are you suggesting the pupils perform at?
I don't want the answers, just that you provide them in your lessons. Also, I suggest that for a series there be something taught about the heritage magicians have.
Have you done a check to see what demand is expected from magician-teachers for your DVD project? It may be that the demand is less than you think because teachers of magic work to their own plans and preferences to suit their particular pupils.
The presentation makes the magic.
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1781 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
The main dvd will be explaining the many markets that exist. I do about 50 lessons a year, not as many as I do shows but its all midweek work and it is extra income. Ive come to discover that many magicians don't even know these markets are available to target. I will explain what they are, how to approach them and the structure of running a lesson. How to keep costs down and how to choose the right tricks for the ages.

As for the target market to sell the dvd, I don't really care if I only sell five copies. As long as those five people get something from the advise I offer, I'm happy with that. My goals with all my books and dvds released so far has not been about sales. If it were, I would never have released anything after the pirates took my Body tricks book and did what they did with it. My goal has always been about passing on my knowledge so that it helps others, and make a difference to the world. Even if its just one person at a time.

As for checking on the pupils progress and all that, its something worth discussing. The tricks I teach are all instant learning and while I do have effects that build to a talent show ending if doing a course of lessons, those types of classes are not that common. Summer camps tend to do that, and some scouts groups. But most of the bookings are one-on-one classes and as a gift for a birthday to adults. The teenage market is also big on doing magic lessons, instead of shows.
But I will cover the summer camp market and the talent show ending, mainly because all the footage I have so far is from the season I taught at the summer camp several years ago.

Duane is doing something a bit different. James Munton has a dvd on his workshop and there are lots of beginners magic dvds to learn the effects. My dvd will have my workshop on it, but more importantly it will explain how to get the bookings and how to fill in the diary.

Steve
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7494 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Tommy Johns and Eddy Wade also have materials out on magic camps and magic classes. Will Roya and Joan DuKore also released a 4 volume DVD set, "Magic Tricks R 4 Kids", which shows them teaching. There may be others. It's not bad to have more, but it is important to be aware of the others.

Be sure to credit Tommy Johns (in your materials), because you seemed to really appreciate his lecture on the topic of magic camps and magic classes from the Kapital Kidvention DVDs, according to this post.

Your comments from that post are quoted on Tim Sonefelt's site:
http://www.timsonefelt.com/store_product......download

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1781 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
I felt a bit of hostility in your post Don. Nice of you to go to the effort and searching for an old thread which I am on.

Im not making a dvd for children, this isn't like Will Roya's magic for beginners series. The dvd I am putting together is about the business of marketing to schools, scouts, one-on-one lessons as a present. What you seem to be thinking is that summer camps is the ONLY market to do magic classes for, which is the exact reason I was thinking of releasing this project. Tommy Johns lecture is a superb source of information for the American Summer camps, but as I repeatdly say, there are many other markets and many other styles of workshops that you market to earn extra money.

I will off course be compiling a list of additional information. James L. Merrill has a book called 'Magicians in the Making', Stephen Brailsford has a rope workshop on dvd. There is a dvd from Terry Herbert called 'How to be a wizard'.

But what my post is about is trying to get the questions you guys might have that havent been covered so far in other peoples material. One-on-one magic lessons for example has almost nothing released in the market. Teaching magic to adults in a college is another big area that has no source material on. And there is a lot to know about it. You cant just teach a complete beginner a double lift, nor do they want a history lesson. If you want to have that student book you again, and again, and again - it takes a very specific approach which is what I intend to share with others.

Steve
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7494 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Hi Steve -

I feel no hostility towards you. However, I thought it was important to mention the other products. After all, you said:

Quote:
I realised there was nothing out there about running a course of lessons and since Ive been doing it for years and already have the footage, I might as well edit it together and help others should they wish to know.

So, it sounded like you weren't aware of the other products related to the topic (magic camps, magic classes, magic workshops, magic lessons, etc), or that you had forgotten that you had learned from some other products at one time.

BTW, I found that post because of the quote on Tim's website. And I'm well known for finding all sorts of posts on the Café, and re-sharing them, so there isn't any new behaviour there.

I'll repeat what I said above. It's not bad to have more products on this topic... once people have accumulated some experience, they have their own slant on a subject.

- Donald

P.S. Please call me "Donald". I don't go by "Don". Thanks! Smile
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of wally
Here in uk we us kids entertainers don’t seem to do magic workshops, so I’m looking at different options, well cheaper options,
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1284 Posts

Profile of danfreed
Michael Ammar has a big project, I'm forgetting the details, but if I remember right he teaches people how to run/teach magic workshops and then sort of licenses people to do it in specific areas.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7494 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2021, danfreed wrote:
Michael Ammar has a big project, I'm forgetting the details, but if I remember right he teaches people how to run/teach magic workshops and then sort of licenses people to do it in specific areas.

Hi Dan,

I assume you're referring to "Discover Magic", which was created by Brian Daniel South (of Creative Magic), Michael Rosander, and Michael Ammar around 2015. They describe their product as a life skills course cleverly camouflaged as a magic classes. Nowadays, some classes are being done in-person, and some online.

https://www.discovermagic.com/presenters-more-information

https://www.discovermagic.com/about

https://www.discovermagic.com/online-magic-classes

I must be Facebook friends with a lot of presenters, because I see it mentioned quite often. Smile

I was also a Creative Magic Portion Holder, and Brian kept us in the loop about Discover Magic over the past few years, via email.

- Donald
naturalturn
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of naturalturn
I had the pleasure to meet Brian South at FISM this year. Very likeable gentleman!
www.facebook.com/RayWongMagic
When Magic Went WONG!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Teaching Magic one-on-one and in courses (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL