The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » What is a good close up mat? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of Tom G
As for the jmauthentics site, worth looking for another thread that deals with this guy. http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=218
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Do any of you have suggestions for how big a mat should be? I know it depends on the circumstances. Right now I'm performing for family and friends at my place at the table. I want to have enough room to do ribbon spreads without being cramped; on the other hand, smaller mats are less expensive.

Thanks,

Bob
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
Bob G,

I made a closeup stage that is 36” x 24” that I use on the dinning room table and on a gaming table in the family room. It’s not lacking for space for card work and the Cups and Balls. Total cost for everything less than $25 a and an hour to make.

Take care,
Bruce
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Hi Bruce,

That sounds like a great mat. I'm not handy, so I doubt your solution would work for me.

Bob
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1405 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Bob, with card work go as big as your budget will allow.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If I'm strolling, I don't use a close-up mat most of the time. The reason is this. If I'm performing at a restaurant, I will have to clear part of the table in order to put the mat down. This also restricts the size of mat I can use. So I do things that happen in the spectators' hands. This is also true of corporate parties where I'm working with spectators who are standing up.

If the situation allows for it, I'll carry a small piece of automobile headliner material, usually black, that I can lay out on a table. This will be about 9 inches by 12 inches. I can perform my chop cup rouine on a piece of mat this big and get excellent results.

The size of your close-up mat is actually determined by where you are performing.

There are some alternatives. For example, if you are performing in a stand-up corporate party context, you can also carry a small stand, such as a "side table" with a proper surface for your magic. The main thing is to be flexible.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, Bill. I'm far from being able to perform (except occasionally for friends and family) ,but it's still useful to hear your experience. May I should hold off on the mat till I know where I'm going with magic!
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
Bob G,

Don’t hold off getting a mat... you will enjoy performing with one. Whatever you get won’t be the last you ever purchase.

Good luck... take care,
Bruce
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, Bruce -- I very much appreciate your encouragement.

Best Regards,

Bob
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2537 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Here's one of Pattrick's Mats. I used it to make my table top.

Click here to view attached image.
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
2537 Posts

And here's a picture of the table. I put it together out of available parts. The base is an Xfinity keyboard stand (8.4 lbs), and the top is a framed piece of plywood with one of Pattrick's mats (4.1 lbs). (Plywood from Home Depot; framing courtesy of Michael's.) The height is easily adjustable so you can either sit or stand.

"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Barry,

This is very helpful. I saw these posts of yours after I saw the one on the other thread. I like the way you ingeniously used parts from various places, and didn't have to do the work yourself. That would fit my style well. I'm curious: how low does the Xfinity stand adjust to? Having a lower table (maybe card table height) for sit-down magic might make it easier for me to show the the tops of cards rather than their fronts. Also, where did you buy the stand?

Thanks again,

Bob
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
2537 Posts

I bought the stand for $30.00 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/RockJam-Heavy-Dut......y&sr=8-1

The height is easy to adjust. When I'm using the table for my stand-up cups and balls routine, I set the top to be 33.5" from the floor. (You could adjust it to be higher, up to 38".) The picture shows the table at the height I use for seated performance, about 29.5" from the floor. I can adjust it to be 27.5" from the floor, but to go lower, I'd need a wider table top.

The stand is designed so that it won't slip. I put marks on the teeth in the middle so I can quickly set the stand to the desired height. (1 = 33.5" high, 2 = 29.5" high)

-Leonard Bernstein
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, Barry!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » What is a good close up mat? (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL