The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Who do you consider the Dai Vernon of mentalism? (21 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
LoveKey1988
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of LoveKey1988
Who in mentalism do you consider the equal of Dai vernon in magic?
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5668 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
No one. There was only one Vernon.
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1752 Posts

Profile of cirrus
I can tell you the Richard Osterlind of Mentalism though... Richard Osterlind.
And the Bob Cassidy of Mentalism... Bob Cassidy.

These 2 gentlemen will give you enough material to perform and think a lifetime.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4124 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
No love for the Maven?
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Rogerbest
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Rogerbest
Dai Vernon of mentalism.........Ted Annemann.
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2249 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Richard Osterlind - because of his diverse approach and his exhaustive teaching contributions to the craft.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
davidmag
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of davidmag
Quote:
On May 16, 2014, Rogerbest wrote:
Dai Vernon of mentalism.........Ted Annemann.

What he said.
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3642 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Peter Turner is the Dai Vernon of mentalism.
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1748 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
Philemon,

I think one of the reasons you will find a lot of love for Bob and Richard here is that they interact with us. Richard not as much anymore, but he still pops in now and again.

Also, look at the kinds of releases in which Bob and Richard have been involved: Their DVDs include their whole acts. They have not kept their best stuff back for themselves.

Max Maven is an incredible actor, performer and creator of magic, but most here don't have the same level of access as we do with Bob and Richard.

Bobby
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1748 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
Now, on to the original question, I like what Tom Cutts said about this in that Dai Vernon was one of a kind.

Who do all of the great mentalists of today look up to? Who do all of the rising mentalists turn to? Who is the mentalist that every other one has a story about? Which mentalist is sitting in a club every night continually working on his craft, entertaining others, reminiscing about the good ol' days and teaching others?

I don't know who the person is.

Bobby
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2450 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Dai did mentalism, he was the first to have cards thought of and not "picked".
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12590 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Actually, there is an entire chapter in Erdnase devoted to determining a thought-of card.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4704 Posts

Profile of landmark
It might help to define what is meant by being the "Dai Vernon" of a field.

To me, Vernon's place of importance in magic is because of his:

1) Teaching and mentoring.
2) Insistence that methods and performance could and should be refined until they appeared absolutely natural.
3) Feeling that fields outside of magic (in Vernon's case, gambling in particular) could provide fruitful avenues of investigation for the magician.
4) Passion that magic was worth caring about.
lopike
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of lopike
Richard osterlind for his contributions to teaching the craft.
rjbullock
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of rjbullock
Osterlind, definitely. I can think of no other mentalist who has produced even 1/2 of the teaching material Richard has. Granted, Richard didn't create all of the material he teaches, but neither did Vernon.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12590 Posts

Quote:
On May 19, 2014, rjbullock wrote:
Osterlind, definitely. I can think of no other mentalist who has produced even 1/2 of the teaching material Richard has. Granted, Richard didn't create all of the material he teaches, but neither did Vernon.

While I certainly don't claim to be the Dai Vernon of anything, I think that my published output over the last forty years is rather substantial (as is my good friend Richard's):

Releases include:

61 eBooks exclusively at Lybrary.com
2 hard backs from H&R (Both volumes of The Artful Mentalism)
1 hard cover from Collector's Workshop (The Art of Mentalism)
numerous contributions to Magick, Magic Magazine, Invocation, Vibrations, etc.
1 softcover from Bob Lynn (My 1st book, Pseudomentally Yours, in 1978)
2 DVDs at Meyer Yedid (Mental Miracles and The Black Box)
8 exclusive Teleseminars from Marketplace of the Mind
6 exclusive eBooks at Marketplace of the Mind
Billet Killers from Penguin Magic
and at least a dozen physical products, including the Master Mentalists Blindfold, the Hanussen Switch Bag, Test Conditions, impression devices, the PW23 PocketWriter, et al)
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10389 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Thank you professor.

Caling someone a master of their craft takes time - flavors of the year and month come and go.

To call a newer on the scene mentalist in a class with the likes of a "Dai Vernon" makes little sense.

You have to look at someone's entire body of work over many (20-30) years to make that kind of opinion.

Just because some flavor of the year performer is talenetd and cutting edge this year does not mean they will necessarily stand the test of time.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1562 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
I never really understood these comparisons. Ultimately, we are all individuals, De facto - unique. The comment regarding number of releases is not really a benchmark either, particularly in this day & age when new releases are almost suffocating! There is no question that Richard Osterlind & Bob Cassidy have released material that any serious Mentalist should be familiar with. Another giant in this area is Max Maven. Point being, all three(3)are individual and unique, as we all are. Drawing comparisons IMO, is a futile exercise.
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12590 Posts

I agree. The number of releases is not a benchmark as quality is always more important than quantity. The only reason I even brought it up was because the post I was responding to was hardly accurate.
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2214 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
I feel equally uneasy with threads like this. Although I am very flattered to have my name brought up, comparisons and competitions are really not what the art should be about. There are so many creators I admire, but Bob's books sit on my shelf right beside Annemann and Corinda. (literally)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Who do you consider the Dai Vernon of mentalism? (21 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL