The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » This is so confusing! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Hey guys,

This may be more of a "Tricky business" question, but I'm hoping to get some hypnotist opinions.

I have a gradnite hypnosis show coming up, which I am excited about, but the booking agent keeps acting odd and I'm not really sure what to do.
I talked with the agent two months ago and we discussed various things I could do. I'm used to dealing with individuals, regarding specific events so I'm not sure I was as clear as I should have been, but we seemed to be okay and I sent a thank you e-mail. I got not response for two months, so I assumed I was never going to hear from this person again (which I took to be my fault and a learning experience) and in the mean time I purchased a sound system and went on with things.

Two months later I get an e-mail confirming a date, I had to ask the agent to remind me where and for what (mentalism? hypnosis?) the date was.
Hypnosis show, 1am, gradnite, very cheap.
Okay, the timing seemed odd and at this point I wasn't even sure if this was an agent or just someone who is part of a lot of events (clarity has not been a keyword I would use to describe our communications), but I want the experience. Sent an e-mail out saying okay.

I was told to expect a contract that evening. A week later, no contract and I e-mail to see if everything is still okay.
Apparently the contract was sent, but my e-mail server rejected it (apparently, ...but I get e-mails and files regularly no problem).

I got the contract last night. Still no address and apparently I am expected to do 45 minutes walk around mentalism before the show.
I can do walk-around mentalism, and I had mentioned it two months ago when we fist talked, but that was never part of this deal.

I don't want to be a prima donna and I do want to do a hypnosis gradnite.
I'm happy to work cheap for the experience, but I don't want to be disrespected or taken advantage of.
Further, my enthusiasm for doing a show mixed with my anxiety leading up to the same show, and my absolute inexperience dealing with 3rd party bookers, is making it very difficult to assess the situation.

Any advice or opinion would be greatly appreciated.
Am I blowing this way out of proportion, or is this genuinely odd?
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9555 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
There seems to be a lot of red flags here, some on the agents part, others on yours. My biggest concern would not be the "agent" (which I would question is he really an agent?") but the fact that it appears you have never done a grad night before as a hypnotist. You had better be ready and you had better be good or it may not be pretty.

The hypnotist is usually (almost always) the featured highlight of these event. If it is anything less than professional and amazing, things will go bad quickly - with the students, parent planning committee, the agent and who knows what else (legal). Over 80% of the news calls we get in our office are from schools that have had a bad to terrible experience with a previous hypnotist. This would be of great concern or you could soon find yourself not working again in your area. Be sure you have a well-polished, top-notch professional show. This is a main event in the senior's life - now to the point of being greater than homecoming or prom. Expectations are high and you better be able to deliver.

Talk about "cheap", walk "around mentalism", taking weeks to hear from them and receive the paperwork, etc. Maybe it's you since it appears you haven't done these, but there is also some great concerns regarding the agent. Are you able to talk directly to the client at any point? How thorough is the paperwork one you've received it?

Have you researched the "agent"?

My advice has always been to go along with or shadow another stage hypnotist (a good, reputable one) before I would ever consider doing one myself if I had never before. The cheap price sends up a raging red flag.

Proceed with caution....
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19757 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well regardless of how you got in this position, you are in it.

In the future, COMMUNICATE BETTER!

Ok now having said that let me say this.

I have no real idea what you should or should not do. Seriously it seems pretty odd to me. MOST agents doing these grad nights stand to make some pretty good money so giving you basics like contracts and addresses is pretty east and you don't have to hound them too much. It seems weird to me the amount of work it is to get this done. Even if it is the people who are running it usually they want to have you there and answer all the questions pretty promptly.

Having these issues seems odd to me. I don't know what the whole story is about the communications, or if you missed something or what so I have no way to advise you. I wish you the best. Just make sure you don't end up in a situation where they are expecting some things you can not deliver on.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9555 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
This is what happens when you become known as a budget performer. By agreeing to work cheap, you are inviting this type of activity and have lost any control (which the worst thing for a hypnotist) you have had or should have had. I've dome thousands of these and see problems written all over this.

Also in the bigger picture this affects all other professionally working hypnotists as this creates the bad, negative things we have to deal with on a daily basis. You better know what you're doing because if anything, anything wrong happens, at all, it will be pinned on you. Hopefully you are properly trained, and carry the standard minimum 2,000,000 in insurance (I'm sure they have asked you for proof of this by this point) . My advice is to be sure to cover your a**.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Although I'm in the UK and things are different in many ways I think some things with regards to do with business are universal.

First thing is if your going to do a gig with a lot of people that normally attracts a big fee always charge a big fee. Never do it cheap. If you never agreed to do walk around tell them you are not including it in the price. I would charge the going rate or slightly more. If I thought I couldn't pull it off I wouldn't do it. I would go see as many hypnotists do this type of gig and create a "model" on paper so as I knew what the expectations are. I would then make it my goal to put a show together to meet those expectations including develop the skills. I would be able to do this show expertly at least in my mind before attempting it. You are ready to get the "experience" that will help you. If you don't do that the experience might not be what you were hoping for.

Whether you charge the going rate etc from day one which is what I would advise you must put boundaries up when taking gigs or making any deal. You must know what you want from a gig and at what point you walk away. And you need to state that up front. otherwise you will let agents etc pull you apart and try and get the best deal. You will frightened that you won't get the gig and "bend" to please them.

If they know upfront you will walk away they treat you with more respect and chances are you will get what you want. For example if I made a deal with someone I would make it clear they had 14 days ( or less) to send out thew paper work or email or whatever in order secure those dates. I don't know how your market works but I would also want payment or part payment by then too. If it didn't happen they would not have a booking.

I do this with all of my business now. I don't confirm anything until money is in the bank by a deadline. With me its 7 days. If someone doesn't comply then I don't want them as a client.

You might not do it exactly the same way as me. But what I have found is that initially its tough rejecting deals when your broke but you end up in the long run with much better clients who respect what you do and are willing to pay big bucks.

Think bigger.
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Thank you all for your responses.

Mindpro,
I tried to PM you but your inbox was full; can you PM me?
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » This is so confusing! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL