The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Wireless mic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

shawn popp
View Profile
Veteran user
Denver
313 Posts

Profile of shawn popp
I have been looking at purchasing the Sennheiser Evolution 100 wireless mic based on the recommendation of Café members, however I have a question: Does anyone know anything about the Fender Passport Executive wireless system? I use the Passport 100 PA and this seems like a logical add-on. Plus it comes with BOTH a lavalier and a headset. Anyone have some feedback on this unit?

Check it out at:
http://www.fenderaudio.com/gear/gear.php?partno=0691205000

thanks
Shawn
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
804 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
Hi, Shawn! I don't usually enter into discussions about "brand preference", but I can help with some of the practical, strictly-factual differences between the Sennhieser Evolution and the Fender Passport.
• The Sennheiser is "diversity" and the Fender appears to be "non-diversity". This means that the Sennheiser's receiver has two antennae (one more than the Fender), and therefore has a significantly better chance of operating without cutting out.
• The Sennheiser has over 1200 frequencies, any one of which can be selected with a few button-pushes. With the Fender, although a few different frequencies are available, the device you buy will only contain one. This means that, if you experience interference with the Sennheiser, you can re-program the system to full-functionality again. With the Fender, if you experience interference, you're dead.

Bottom line? If you can afford a "frequency-agile", "diversity" system (in theis case, the Sennheiser), choose it.

For TONS of free tips on getting the most out of your wireless gear, go to http://www.magicroadie.com

Cheers from Toronto!
Dan McLean Jr
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
I use countryman E-6 I love it. It is so small and I got skin color to match my color my skin.

Dan is right. The fender one you are talking about will not get a good clear signal. I have learned from buying sound gear over the years that you should try to buy the very best. In long run you will save money and look and sound professional.

Ken
shawn popp
View Profile
Veteran user
Denver
313 Posts

Profile of shawn popp
Thanks guys. I have been interested in the Countryman headset. Ken, do you know if the countryman headset can be plugged into the sennheiser evolution system?

Shawn
glodmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
501 Posts

Profile of glodmagic
The Fender wireless add in module is Awesome.
I have used it under very complex situations (Festivals with many active frequencies, Large theaters, Corporate settings, Banquet rooms) and have Never had a problem with clarity or interference. The Transmitter pack is Very well made (comes with both a Lav and headworn)and I have used the Evolution in Addition (plugged into the fender PD)to have dual channel operation and they do not interfere at all. I have since sold my Evolution as it is no longer needed.

Another great feature of the Passport as you know is the 12 Volt pack. I used it extensively at Festivals last Spring and Summer and could not believe how long the 12 V pack lasts in relation to the Audio output (loud).
Fender has done a great job on the wireless module. Why have the elegant super easy set up of the Passport with a wireless mic receiver hanging over it and some kluged battery to run it (if outside) when you can snap in the module and away you go (power, impedance matched, gain set, etc.). Its internal (under the stow away compartment).

It is so affordable too. Why not install it and if you think it won't handle your needs it is a perfect backup?

Smile

OOps ...Forgot to mention

Magic Roadie IS always right! Everything he says is indeed true (not kidding).

I was reviewing this on MY experience with the Passport and PRICE/Convenience difference. If someday I run into a problem. I always have a wired mic ready for that!
Remember ANY of your posts here can be Googled by your customers and Clients. Just entering your name in Google can bring up your negative comments that stay for years!
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Shawn
I am sure the countryman can be plugged into that. Best bet is to call countryman direct and ask them. Not sure of there number. But I did a search and found them in CA.

Best,
Ken
afun14u
View Profile
Loyal user
Tennessee
249 Posts

Profile of afun14u
http://www.countryman.com this is their web site. I too have the E-6 along with my shure mic and I love it can't praise it enough.

Robert Jones
Empowering Kingdom Growth through Evangelistic Entertainment!
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Although I have never used the Passport Executive wireless system, I used to own a couple of Passports. I didn't really consider the Executive system for one main reason. I sometimes perform where other people are providing sound and I need to have a wireless I can plug into their system.
The Executive system is for the Passport only. With my Audio-Technica and my Sennheiser, I can always take them with me.

Just a thought.
paulnathan
View Profile
New user
San Francisco
21 Posts

Profile of paulnathan
Hey listen to roadie for he knows of what he speaks. If you speak during your show. than you need to get the best possible sound you can afford. And by afford I mean how much money you can afford to spend but also how much space you can afford, and how much set up, research, trouble you can afford.

If you drop a prop, or fumble a bit on stage you can always cover it by being charming... If the audience can't understand you because your mike sucks then you will not be charming. I am constantly amazed at my friends who spend thousands of dollars on an illusion (insisting on the finest illusion from the best manufacturer) when get a cheap mike.

the quality of the belt pack is important but just as important is the quality of the Mike itself. Carl Countryman makes the best mikes in the world, and yes they can be fitted to and AT system (I have Countryman mikes fitted to an Audio Technica, a Senheizer, a Sony, and a Telex system)

Countryman does not sell directly I recomend going to audio Images in San Francisco. 415-957-9131 speak to Ron (he is the owner) tell him Paul Nathan sent you. He outfits almost every street performer in San Francisco and quite a few from around the world.

He can also answer any questions you might have about this verses that (of course he'll be trying to sell you something while he's at it - so this forum is a better place to start)

good luck.

P
Love thy neighbor.

Oops. Sorry. That should have been...
Make love to thy neighbor.
http://www.badmagician.com
http://www.firemagic.com
http://www.devilinthedeck.com
http://www.ihatechildren.com
http://www.darkkabaret.com
vmendoza
View Profile
Elite user
Farmingdale. New Jersey
430 Posts

Profile of vmendoza
I've been using the Sennheiser Evolution 100 and it is wonderful. The quality and tone surpasses my Samsons, Shures, and Audio Technicas.

Another thing that I've been hearing around the rumor mill, and I don't know how true it might be, but with TV stations swtiching their signals to accomodate HDTV, the newer frequencies they'll be using will bump into the UHF ranges and from what I hear, Sennheiser will be one of the few uneffected by this.

VInce Mendoza
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
804 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
Quote:
Another thing that I've been hearing around the rumor mill, and I don't know how true it might be, but with TV stations swtiching their signals to accomodate HDTV, the newer frequencies they'll be using will bump into the UHF ranges

It's true that DTV is going to make things a little more crowded, Vince. I can only speak for the US & Canada, but wireless mics & television operate in the same frequency ranges, and that's why DTV will affect everyone who uses wireless mics and related wireless gear.

The good news is that, if you have a "frequency agile" wireless system with over 100 or so user-accessible frequencies, you'll be perfectly fine everywhere except at places like The Super Bowl where there's a LOT of wireless activity. You simply program your system to an unoccupied frequency. If you're only using a small number of wireless mics (1-4 or so) you'll have no problems.

Sennheiser makes a big deal of all this, but it's just hype. Shure, AKG and the others are all aware of the DTV changes, and are all perfectly capable of working aroud the problem.

Cheers from Toronto!
http://www.MagicRoadie.com
"Taking the mystery out of stage technology!"
Dan McLean Jr
Texas Worker
View Profile
New user
Kerrville Texas
55 Posts

Profile of Texas Worker
I work with shure and fender and love both of them. sennheiser is the standard in the radio business.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello Shawn:

I don't know if you've bought your mic yet, but Northern Sound and Light has the Evo 135 on sale for $325.00. This is probably the cheapest price you'll ever see.

Ron
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Wireless mic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL