The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Best cities for a learning magician (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chris John
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Chris John
I'm in my early twenties and a little over half way done with college. I wouldn't consider myself a beginner, but have a lot to learn. I'd like to move to a different city where there would be more opportunities to perform and learn magic. Does anybody have any good advice on this subject?
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Yeah; you can buy good books in any city - in the world.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Chris John
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Chris John
Thanks for the reply Harry. Are you implying that no place is better than any other when starting out in magic?
Andrew Immerman
View Profile
Regular user
California
108 Posts

Profile of Andrew Immerman
I second Mr. Lorayne. If you're truly just starting out, I suggest learning your way through the classics and performing locally (to you) before considering a move. If you're interested in cards, Mr. Lorayne's books are outstanding: after wearing out the binding of Close-Up Card Magic, I picked up a copy of his Classic Collection (the first volume includes Close-Up Card Magic).

If you can demonstrate reasonable proficiency, perhaps you should consider auditioning for membership in a community, such as the Academy of Magical Arts (AMA), whose home is the Magic Castle. Sadly, Dai Vernon is no longer with us; though, as I recall, John Carney, Bruce Cervon, Ricky Jay, Larry Jennings, Max Maven, David Roth, Michael Skinner, and other greats moved to Southern California to work with him and, presumably, spend time at the Castle.

Andrew
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Yes, Chris, that's exactly what I'm implying. Best - HL.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Tree
View Profile
Loyal user
Wiggle Wiggle
295 Posts

Profile of Tree
I'd move somewhere now, New York, Vegas, or Hollywood, resettle, keep up with your book studies, join a local magic circle,
and maybe find what you truly seek.
Thing is you will have to prove yourself before being accepted.
Ricky Jay said, books can only take you so far, but a true Mentor will take you further.
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
Another thing to think about is that if you move to a large urban center, although there will be more magicians and those who can teach, there will also be more competition. If you simply stay where you are and seek out performing venues you may find you have a performing niche with less competition and can pick up newer material at a less hectic pace. Going to a larger area with more competition you may need newer material more regularly.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Chris - finish college and, if you are as mobile as you sound, follow a job to a city. There is no reason to move for magic as a beginner. Look at the SAM and IBM websites for magic clubs - they are everywhere. Join a club and find one or two others your can practice with and develop your skill. My experience is that in smaller cities the magic community is closer and more helpful than in larger cities. Magic is a great hobby and an excellent part time job. If you are interested and fortunate enough it can turn into a full time profession.

Good luck!

Hudson
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
My advice is to follow your heart. I have asked this very question of many, and got a lot of the above replies. Sorry, but bad advice, in my opinion. I even asked the late great Johnny Carson, and he responded that he did not give such opinions. But what did he do, he move to a city with opportunities.

It all depends what you want to increase your knowledge in magic to, and what kind of magician you desire to be. If you just want to perform, you can do that just about anywhere with advertising. If you want to make a good income from magic, you cannot do that everywhere. Some places just will not pay for live entertainment.

If you want to be a stage magician, you have to go where stages are. If you want to be a high caliber close-up magician, again you need high caliber dinning places.

If you want inspiration and creative motivation, then you need to be around such magicians and make good acquaintances and possibly friends.

1st though you need to have the knowledge and skills already developed to be in the big time. So you need several polished acts in the field you are interested in pursuing.

I would suggest you attend several magic conventions national and regional, then see what magic as a career is all about. Make contacts and friends and see what you think your next move will be.

Finally, if all you want to do is learn about magic, just get out your debit card and start buying books that interest you. Don't forget the how to perform books and would not hurt to read some salesmanship books, as after you have the acts set, you need to be a salesman every day. Or you will not be performing for anyone anywhere.

So, finish college and find a good job with a great income, save every penny you can, stay away from girls as they will take you in another direction then the one you posted your question here concerning. Or just date a lot, but how can you save and drop dating cash. Never figured that one out. When you have $100,000.00, follow your dream, whatever it is at that point. Make a plan or goal and follow it.

I see you did not list your states you live in, you may be in the perfect place already. Look around!
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Chris John, unless you share at least the State you live in, this thread is wasting everyone's time. If you can afford the most current issue of Magic magazine, look at the back of the listing of States with the most magic stores, do your homework and make a choice. Go find I.B.M rings, Try google, look up Branson, Vegas, something - jesus christ. Magicians pride themselves on being resourceful.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
At this point in your life, I STRONGLY recommend you think about where would you like to live if you could live anywhere. Once you get settled someplace, it can be harder to move. I was lucky to "end up" in Southern California where I can go skiing at my lake house in the mountains one day and to the beach the next day. Find your Shangrila and perform there.
KJ
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Best cities for a learning magician (10 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL