The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Cuba Libre (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

radamwarner
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
170 Posts

Profile of radamwarner
There is a terrific effect called the Cuba Libre. Does anyone know how one might purchase the plans for this. I believe it has been used in magic acts for quite some time.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
The effect dates back to a performance of Joad Heteb , “The Wizard of the Sphinx,” who introduced his "Numerical Cubes" or "Egyptian Bricks" as part of his "Egyptian Mysteries" in 1906. Of course, that was P.T. Selbit using another of his performing names. He rarely used his birth name of Percy Thomas Tibbles. Spellbinder has a series of plans for the various versions of this through the years, including "Cube a Libre," in his Mini-Mysteries Book Three.
radamwarner
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
170 Posts

Profile of radamwarner
Thanks Jim,
I really liked the website. I have saved it as a favorite.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Unless you're an expert woodworker and/or metalworker, I don't believe a set of plans will make you a usable prop that will function correctly or last through a lot of performances.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
You become an expert woodworker/ metalworker the same way you become an expert magician - by practice, practice, practice... and not giving up because someone tells you it's not worth it.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I can agree with that.
But you also need an expert to teach you.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Having an expert or mentor to teach you is nice, yet hundreds of magicians had to learn magic on their own or from books, and I would guess that the same is true of carpenters, metal workers and every other area where expertise is considered important. I grew up with a lot of friends who learned how to repair cars on their own, in the backyard or in a local garage, who today are highly paid automobile mechanics. I think it can be done, if one is determined to do it.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
As a kid I build a lot of my own props because I couldn't afford to buy them. Later on, some aging magicians gave me props they no longer used because they knew "I would appreciate them." One of these was an early set of Conradi Blocks that I still use today. I acquired the "Cuba Libra" script but never liked it -- so created my own routine.

I would not suggest that anyone attempt to construct their own "Cuba Libra" set, while directing that every performer build some of their own props -- just so that they have an appreciation of the process.

The result is not just having an inexpensive prop, but will lead you to creating new effects as well -- ones that don't need the props at all. Then work on creating your own presentation.

The Magic Nook is an excellent source of ideas and designs.

Get some of these offering and fuel the best part of performance magic - creativity!
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
ursmagicbalu
View Profile
Inner circle
India
1080 Posts

Profile of ursmagicbalu
The latest one is the SMART CUBES
“It’s not what you do that matters, or even how you do it;
it’s what the spectators perceive you as doing that matters.
That’s the MAGIC they’ll remember.”
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Cuba Libre (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL