The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Closeup Mat Care (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Wilktone
View Profile
Loyal user
Asheville, NC
258 Posts

Profile of Wilktone
I've wrecked a couple of closeup mats. The fabric peals away from the mat underneath.

I suspect that perhaps I should either not be rolling them up or am rolling them up the wrong way. I came across something on the net suggesting that I should roll the mats up so the fabric side is out. Is this accurate? Is it OK to roll them up for storage/transport? Best to leave them unrolled when not in use?

Thanks,

Dave
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
I personally like to leave mine flat. I have a navy blue one that I've had for about 5 years, forget which brand, 12x18 I think, that I only ever fold in half for a short time and it still looks new. I just need to keep a lint roller handy since I have pets.

My other mat is from Pattrick's Mats, a table hopper in red lava. Never need to fold that one. Fits right in my case. Love the quality of that mat.

To me, it's not that big of a deal to just deal with transporting and storing them flat. I like the fact that they last longer and look better when I treat then this way.
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
SDMoore1
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of SDMoore1
Bed Bath & Beyond sold me a $2 black placemat that I really like.
RobertlewisIR
View Profile
Veteran user
Colorado
367 Posts

Profile of RobertlewisIR
I love to keep a beat-up one in my workshop, because things go through hell in that room. The one I'm currently using has had god knows what spilled on it, burn holes in it around the edges, the works. Helps to keep the "workers" nice to have a "junker" for practice and experimentation.
~Bob

----------

Last night, I dreamed I ate the world's largest marshmallow. When I woke up, the pillow was gone.
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Roll with fabric facing out if you must for traveling. But do NOT store it in that condition...store it flat. I ruined a Gibson mat by storing it rolled up...it delaminated.Smile If you want a quality mat, get a Pattrick.

Cardamagically,,,,
Dom Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
I don't know about rolling them up, but save the neoprene when they do separate. With some spray adhesive and some auto headliner you can recover the neoprene backing.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
challengedmichael
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of challengedmichael
I have a few close up mats. One really nice one witch fits my close up table which I keep flat. But I have others that I paid $12-$19 for and I roll them up fabric side out for hauling to get together's with the guys and they seem to hold up pretty well for a year or two.
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Remember to “think outside the box”. I like a big mat, but didn’t want to spend the cash. Found a really nice roll of felt sold as a covering for speaker enclosures. It’s large, sharp looking, and allows me to do HUGE ribbon spreads and such. Plus it doesn’t care if it gets rolled up.
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
822 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
I roll mine fabric out like the instructions said. Any wrinkles have come out by putting it flat. Mine has lasted over 3 years now. In the beginning I keep my rolled up and never had a problem. I have a VDF Close Up Pad Professional Version in Green.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S5722

Mine seems to be super durable. Except for the dog hair it is practically the same since I got it.
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Throw it away and learn to work without one. They are nice but depending on your goals is a mat appropriate? For example...are you wanting to work restaurants - and if so are you really going to roll out your mat?
Kingman
View Profile
Loyal user
Willow Spring NC
294 Posts

Profile of Kingman
I have ruined them by rolling fabric in and by folding. Now, I hang them. I got some trouser hangers and padded the clips. They do not put enough pressure to leave any marks on the pad and it stores them nicely. I use the same thing for all my silks. Just have to make sure that the pads are smooth and don't put too much pressure. These are great if you can get them http://www.hangerworld.co.uk/wooden-clam......301.html
-*-The Card Magic of Kingman-*-

I took the Pledge
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I lost my three mats when me and my wife separated, but I did manage to retain just one. But it can't be rolled because it has a solid back, and it's thick and plush. It's made of black velvet, and it has several slots in the back for loading coins.

I treat it really good. Just a lint roller is all it takes to clean it. I've had it for years, but for the life of me I don't remember the name it sold under, and I wish I did, because I often wonder if they are still being made.

Only bad thing is because of it's plushness, my cat finds it a comfortable place to plunk her feline body! White cat hairs against a black velvet mat are not a good match. I think this cat has a death wish.

Posted: Jul 23, 2014 08:45 am I just Googled close up matts to see what's out there, and I find a plethora of pads to purchase. I admit, I had never researched it, but I'm amazed and bewildered.

For those of you who want to avoid wrinkles, I found at Magic Warehouse a pad that says you can crumple it in your pocket if you wish and it still stays pristine. I can't vouch for it since I don't own one, but the add says : Memory Mat by S&C Magic
$60.00
This is a High Grade mat that retains its shape. Convenient for carrying!

This mat can be folded or crumpled up. It can be restored in about 5 minutes, even after it's been folded for a week!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Wilktone
View Profile
Loyal user
Asheville, NC
258 Posts

Profile of Wilktone
I've since replaced my close-up mat with a couple of nice ones. I've forgotten the brand of the particularly sturdy one I bought at the local magic shop, but it takes a beating very well.

Quote:
I don't know about rolling them up, but save the neoprene when they do separate. With some spray adhesive and some auto headliner you can recover the neoprene backing.

The fabric peeled very cleanly off the neoprene. I happened to notice that the size of this mat is almost perfect for a small table I have. I was thinking of trying to glue the fabric back onto the neoprene and attaching the whole thing to the table to make a table I could use if I wanted to do anything standup. Any advice for doing this?

Quote:
Throw it away and learn to work without one. They are nice but depending on your goals is a mat appropriate? For example...are you wanting to work restaurants - and if so are you really going to roll out your mat?

I'm not a professional and do this merely for the fun. I like having a mat for practicing. Occasionally I get the opportunity to do a short routine for friends or family around a table and like to use a mat for that. Not only does it make certain effects much easier to do, but I think it just looks nice to have a mat. I'm not really interested in restaurant work at this time.

Thanks!

Dave
RedHatMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
239 Posts

Profile of RedHatMagic
Hi Dave,

Different strokes for different folks :o) Enjoy your mat

Danny

(djurmann)
Let the Entertainment Commence!
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Paintings are similarly rolled with the painted surface out -- if that helps anyone remember which way their mat should be rolled.
kekoa1
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of kekoa1
I've rolled a couple Apollo Mats Fabric side out...over the years I've noticed that it will start to separate along the edges. The Apollo mats are not very expensive, so I just purchase a new one once it get past the point of no return.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Closeup Mat Care (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL