The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Are magic Gizmo's Overpriced? (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ihave
View Profile
New user
ocala,fl
74 Posts

Profile of ihave
Are a lot of magic tricks overpriced do you feel?
RobertlewisIR
View Profile
Veteran user
Colorado
367 Posts

Profile of RobertlewisIR
It's not the price that bothers me, because when you think about the economics of it, they're produced in small runs, for a professional market, and priced both to cover expenses on the small run and to discourage the merely curious. What I have a problem with is the overpriced CRAP that gets produced. If it's a quality product, I'm happy to pay $50 or $100 or $500 for it. But if it's crap, even $10 is overpriced, and let's face it: there's a lot (and I mean a LOT) of absolute garbage on the market.
~Bob

----------

Last night, I dreamed I ate the world's largest marshmallow. When I woke up, the pillow was gone.
Kbuck54
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of Kbuck54
Yes, espesially the crap.
Keith
SHAZAM!
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
You guys hit the nail on the head... I have been turned off by crap produced by some and would never consider their offerings again. I understand why... but magic is the only industry that I know of that you can't see what you are getting before you purchase it, with little possibilities for a refund if you are dissatisfied.

That is one of the benefits of the Café... we can ask opinions and form our own conclusions; there are many here that will share.

Take care,
Bruce
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
I think the Café goes a long way to helping with this problem. When we used to go to a magic shop, the item would be demonstrated for you, and when the owner got to know you and your style of show, they would steer you away from unsuitable items. With the advent of the internet we are mostly presented with faceless entity's who's only goal is to sell no matter what.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On May 20, 2014, ihave wrote:

As compared to what? What are you comparing your question on. Magic is not like buying an automobile, over 100 makes and models to chose from. There is usually only one, or the new improved one. That is it. Re-read what other members said in the above post, then give your opinion.

It is all economics, the U.S. has gone through and still going through a drastic change in gross capital gains. Thus if you think something is overpriced, you either were brought up to look for the lowest price, or you are not making enough income to cover all your everyday living expenses.

You can design an act with magic tricks that cost $6 or for the price of book. It is not the tricks you buy, it is the entertainment value you create with what you have, know, and learn. Some of the best magic is under $10 currently. Great magic, standing ovation magic. Go to the library or the local book store, if any are still in business in your hometown, and you will have more magic to last you a lifetime. Tricks are just tricks, but making them into entertaining magic miracles is something only you can do.
MGordonB
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto, Canada
279 Posts

Profile of MGordonB
I have purchased my share of crap. I have since sharply curtailed my spending on magic props and now limit my spending on books, DVDs and accessories such as ropes, silks, cards and sponge balls.

Like many newbies, I got excited by all the neat looking stuff for sale and bought a few props only to be disappointed by the actual product when I received it. In some cases, the prop looked so cheesy, I was embarrassed to use it. After a few of these mis-steps, I refocused and now primarily use things like cups and balls, cards, coins, ropes, silks etc. I now only buy a gimmicked prop when I have a very specific idea of how it can be used, for example my last gimmicked prop purchase was a Magic Makers Stiff Rope which I incorporated as a gag within a larger rope routine. From time to time I see tricks which intrigue and tempt me. One is the bill change effect, but I have held off as I can’t for the life of me figure out a solid rationale for why I would need to wrap a bill up in an elastic band then put it in a brass tube with a lock on it, or why I would even have such a thing in the first place.

My other rationale for limiting my use of gimmicked tricks, is that I have tended to get much better reactions from the audience when I use what appear to be ordinary objects such as a rope, card, coin or ball. While I haven’t done very many shows, I have found that interest tends to wander a bit when I bring out something that clearly looks like it came from a magic store. Could that be a vibe I give off in that maybe I come off as being more keen on the effect I’m doing when I’m using ordinary objects?
RobertlewisIR
View Profile
Veteran user
Colorado
367 Posts

Profile of RobertlewisIR
My purchases are considered very seriously. First, I never buy blind. I will either have seen a demonstration, know the creator and his/her previous work, or have read some serious reviews, and preferably all three, before I even think about buying something. And then, I approach my purchases from one of two angles. First, I look at it professionally. Can this thing fit in my show? What's the pocket management going to be like? Does it fit my style? Will my audiences like it? Which all comes down to one basic question: will I make more money using this product than the purchase costs me? If the answer to that question is yes, and if I like the product aesthetically (because I need to be happy with my own show), I buy it. If the answer is no, but I still like the product, then I *might* buy it, but at that point it's no longer a professional purchase, but a toy. I like to buy toys, but I keep myself on a VERY limited budget for toys, and from that small budget, I buy magic props, books, movies, games, dinners out, theatre tickets, and all the other stuff I do just for fun. Yeah, I've got some magic that I don't actually do professionally, but those purchases are few and far between these days.
~Bob

----------

Last night, I dreamed I ate the world's largest marshmallow. When I woke up, the pillow was gone.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I would contend that more magic is being produced now then ever before. With computers, home printers, and the internet, creating a cottage industry is a lot easier than it used to be. Unfortunately, it also means that a lot more bad magic is being produced.

As RobertlewisIR said, never buy blind. I too wait for the reviews, and try to see as many demos as possible, either online or at conventions. Plus, there is a lot to be said for word of mouth. "Overpriced" could mean a purchase where - value-wise - your expectation's weren't met. The safest way to avoid that from happening is by not going in blind.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
There is a learning curve involved in buying magic. For example, learning how to decode all the advantages claimed for a new device or effect. In the words of Conan Doyle spoken through his character Sherlock Holmes (and I am paraphrasing here) "Once all working methods have been exhausted, that what remains is the actual working method." Another thing to keep in mind is that if it sounds too good to be true it most likely is not true. Combinations of those two aspects of magic props, gimmicks, etc often arise. For example, when I made my first magic purchase from a large dealer in NYC, I bought one thing that I didn't actually need because it was too good to be true and because I didn't think through what could only be the answer to the claims made. It was called New Way Coin In Bottle and I purchased it because one of the claims was, "No fold!n& coin required!" and I hadn't yet fully learned how to get that particular gimmick out of the bottle without slinging the gimmick across the room. Upon arrival I discovered, to my chagrin, that not only did it require a different special coin, but it also required a special bottle that had to be used with that coin> To make matters worse the bottle wasn't from the U.S. and so for most of my performance opportunities I couldn't even use the bottle. Who carries an empty bottle with them into bars or parties anyway? Another thing that a lot of inexperienced magicians don't stop to do before buying an effect is can they figure out a working method for themselves. As long as the method isn't some kind of fantasy or overly complicated this thought process--one which is a good exercise for magicians anyway--may result in a simpler or at least original method for doing the effect in question.
One thing that has bitten me in the posterior more than once is a levitation that looks better than Balducci, but one which I can do any time, surrounded if possible, and even outside. But I am one of those people who lacks good balance when standing on one leg and am uncoordinated when standing on something about the size of a soup can. So several times I have purchased otherwise excellent levitation methods and for over $100 each time. The last time I nearly injured myself trying the device out for the first time, so I think I've lost the desire to do an "impromptu" levitation.
Aviding impulse buying and the desire to have all the newest effects can be a way to save money too. One can only maintain so many effects. I have lost track of the n umber of magic club members who every year quite obviously waste hundreds of even thousands of dollars on magic they can't use or don't even try to use. The are always selling tables full of stuff at annual flea markets and picnics for about 10% of their purchase prices. Those guys are fine with me though because I've picked up some good deals from them in the past.
Yes, it is possible to spend money on junk in the vocation or avocation, but it is also possible to avoid a lot of expense with a little thought and will power.
That's my two cents and I'm not spending it on junk magic, no matter how sweet the effect may sound.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
I think one big thing not mentioned is were not use to paying what something really cost. Were use to pay low prices for stuff in the normal world and as a result we get substandard stuff. But the compainnes distract us from this by getting us to believe in we need different things for different seasons as well as the greatest and latest trend and fashion. It all a cover up to keep them getting there big returns. And as a result when we see something that it made by a individual or a small run company we think it a lot but no that's how much things cost.

Also what the above post say I agree. Things like hi set up cost and short run production do effect the price. As well as the very narrow specific marketing options. Very small percent of the world population or magicians and only a small part of that will be keen on spending a sum of money on a gaff coin, and only a small part of them will be interested what that particular gaff dose.

And as the wizard say the cottage industry is great. The fact you don't have to pay a publisher and a printer to make your book, and your customer don't have to pay for shipping is a real plus. Other things that are up and coming and will make a difference soon if not now are things like crowd sourcing, free share and the growth of 3D printers.

And yes I have brought a lot of crap and enjoyed it. I am now more concerning in what I buy Yes I do have a very nice waxed spotted maple wand with brass ends as well as old free drum stick as a option as well. I use both regularly.

Just some of my viwes.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I think some products, on the other hand, are sold too cheap. Smile if it is too affordable (let's use Loops for example). A kid asks his mom to buy him this $10 magic trick that is so easy a beginner can use it and she does. The kid gets 5 Loops reads over the very short direction card that comes with it and maybe watches a YouTube explanation of them. He doesn't do well, even breaks a few right away. NOW what is his motivation NOT to expose? To him, he just wasted $10 on junk. He tells everyone at school how junkie they are and what you really get. "Super thin brittle rubber bands" and that is why so many laymen even know of their existence.

Now, had they been marketed at a much higher price point originally. Say $50 for a quality DVD that included care and feeding as well as effects, then the "refills" being sold at a much lower price but only to those with a registered code from the original $50 set. It would be a little more of a secret to laymen out there.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Good point Poof-Daddy. Proof of this is going to YouTube and putting "Magic Trick Unboxing" into the search:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_qu......unboxing

You'll find a lot of money being spent on magic by our youth. Not necessarily a bad thing, as mail order magic is not new. However, the accessibility, variety, and delivery speed are light years beyond what I grew up with. (Insert your favorite old age joke here).
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On May 20, 2014, ihave wrote:

"Tricks" can't be overpriced, because one cannot buy 'tricks'.

I have bought, and physically, own, PROPS,and BOOKS,(includes electronic media). I have bought and own SECRETS. I have never bought a TRICK. TRICKS, like music, only "exist" while being performed.

Yes, some props are defiitely overpriced, (especially when workmansip, and quality of materials is considered.) Some books and electronic media.are over priced (when content is considered).

IMHO, The entire "field" of MAGIC suffers when performers, collectors, and writers misuse and confuse terms. Good examples include: tricks, effects, magic, fekes, and gimmicks, and those just "scratch the surface"! --A TT is not a gimmick, it's a feke.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Hi guys,

I think we all come to a "maturity" in our magic life, not necessarily based upon our chronological age.

At a certain point we stop buying crap, over priced and otherwise. Because we get smarter through experience.

That's not to say we stop buying when we become wiser. We continue to buy because we LIKE the trick (let's disregard a discussion of semantics now, Dick) even though we know we'll probably never use it, the manufacturer, an improvement(?), to complete a collection, a specific use/venue, because we hear others praise the latest goodie, a bargain price or just because we need an excuse to hang around the magic shop or to place an order to experience the high of knowing a package is coming just for us.

As Martha Stewart would say, "this is a good thing". Smile

Julie
Tree
View Profile
Loyal user
Wiggle Wiggle
295 Posts

Profile of Tree
Mr Oslund brought up a good point.
We do not buy the effect, we pay for the secret.

I've just purchased the secret for a great routine, it cost me $50.00US
I had to spend another $60.00 just to build the props, and that took me 3hrs
of my time, and my job as a Lapidary/Jeweler and Body Modification Artist I get paid well over $125.00US/hr.
That's another $375.00 invested for a total of $485.00US.

Back in January I paid $250.00 for a secret and complete set of props.
Is it worth it, to me yes because these are tools for my act, they are part of
my close up show, my justification for the cost outweighs the actual cost, because
I know very few people own them and fewer actually perform these routines.
Like I've said before I'd rather not tell what my show is composed of due to the nature of the routines
involved, since they are not performed by many throughout the US and the World

I refuse to be a sponge bunny magi, my stuff is a bit more eclectic in nature, more daring
I mean how many of you do suspension performances? very few to none here, but I combine the freaky with the unknown
to make a great show that really amazes people.

I don't buy gizmo's or junk, like I say my show is well thought out and entertaining.
Overpriced tools? IDK?
My Owens Linking Rings cost me $300.00US used, my Johnson Cups cast me $300.00 new
I only buy what are considered the best tools in the trade the same as my regular trade tools.
As an entertainer I want only the best, and for my job I use only the best.
what's the difference?
IDK?

Semantics, no. I agree with Mr. Oslund, The Art of Magic does suffer when Magi do not use the correct terms.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
"value" is certainly a relative term -- destroyed a bit by the guy on TV who says, "A $200 value for only $19.95." - meaning that the quoted price is artificially stated. If you fall for such ploys you deserve what you get.

The offered price for magic gismo, routine or "secret" often has little relationship to its production cost. As Tree notes it may be worth it for a performing professional to have the best quality tools available, but that is not buying a "gismo." The factor of importance should be, "what is the value to you?"

In magic, however, this may not work either. Years ago I offered eBooks on a "ShareBook" bases, i.e. I charged nothing to send it but expected the receiver to pay what it was worth to them after using or exploring the information. Software "apps" were marketed this way back in the 90's as ShareWare. I had 73 takers in two months and NOT ONE ever sent me any money. I did receive some valuable feedback from some as to their use of the effect, and many others have paid money for the same eBooks.

methinks the concept of "crap" often comes from the buyer and not the product.

anyone who feels they have purchased magic "crap" can send it to me. If I can use it I will pay you what it is worth to me -- probably more than you paid for it. I occasionally purchase some used effect for the Café Market place even though I know I will never perform it. I wish to know what has other people excited about it rather than to learn the secret. This helps me create new effects to give away.

on a slightly different theme, I am amazed by posters who claim some financial disadvantage such as not being able to find a gig, and then offer some $500 item for sale on the Market. Others offer items for sale as "opened but never used."

How about making purchases of magic gismos based on some "need" rather than some mythical "want?"

Since almost 60 yeasr of involvement with magic is part of "who I am," every part of magic studied, purchased, build, created, trashed or imaged has some "value." Money spent has little to do with that.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
mlts22
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of mlts22
With the average quality of built goods declining in general (one can look at furniture, for example), I rather pay a little bit extra so the trick is professional grade. Take the average box, for example. For show work, it should be built with proper (for example mortise and tenon) construction (not butt-jointed and slap-dash glued),then sanded, primed, painted a few coats, then maybe given a top coat so it has that classic black polish to it, and it can handle the dents, spills, oopses, and other mishaps that go on.

I have been looking at blueprints of stuff myself, and hooking up with a retired magician (who completely understands the importance of keeping how something works under his hat), and having him build what I need. The tricks are definitely not cheap... but it will be something that with any care at all, will outlive me.
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
821 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
You get what you pay for. I really believe in getting good props. They will let your magic shine, but that is only with practice of course. Also do you research on an item before you buy it. Nothing stinks more then getting an effect and realizing it doesn't fit you or that the quality is awful. And even with proper research you will always get an effect that won't be "yours".

I guess the real question of worth belongs to if you use it. If you can please / entertain people with it then it goes a long way to being worth the money.
Taterini
View Profile
Special user
604 Posts

Profile of Taterini
I think magic is like anything else that has a limited number of people interested in it... supply equals demand but on the other hand demand or rather the lack of it also equals a higher cost. Be it magic, music or any other special interest, you're going to pay more for a specialty item. It's not like we're buying a can of corn at the grocery store that everyone needs on a somewhat regular basis, we're buying a special interest item that in fact no one really needs but rather they just want. For all intents and purposes these gimmicks, props and gaffs are all in the same category as luxury items and therefore are priced accordingly. There's a saying, "Entertainment comes with a price." and that price is paid for by the performer as well as the patron. So, are they overpriced? That is a question that each individual has to answer for themselves based on their personal amount of interest and their degree of commitment to the art, whatever art it may be. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Are magic Gizmo's Overpriced? (11 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL