We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » The Device by Docc Hilford (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
swamister
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of swamister
I agree with some of david's post, and some of docc's...

i think its best suited for close-up certainly, wouldn't make sense (to me) for it to be on stage...

and the item in question has been around for years in various forms - I even gave away my version a little while ago on here...i like the object in question, there's a lot of things you can do with one...

i do think though, that context is (always) king...it has to 'fit' and if you're doing b*ll*t work, I personally wouldn't use this DEVICE along side regular b*ll*t work, as there would a dimensional problem (visually speaking - and again, this is just a personal thing)...

one of my favourite routines by Docc, is his DESIRE...and you could very easily incorporate this device, in with his desire...you could even quote Hendrix for full effect...

alternatively, bringing this device out from your pockets, along with some other small objects, like a pencil, dice, a pendulum and whatever else - that would work for me, then you can play all kinds of games with those objects out on the table (e'voque and so on)...and then casually segue into using the device for its inbuilt properties...
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10646 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Parted as friends?

C'mon this definitely isn't that big a deal - I hope to see both of you at MindVention sharing a beer in October and I will buy!

I appreciated David's unfettered honesty - it is exceedingly rare for David to post negative reviews.

He also happens to write some of the most detailed and informative reviews on the Café - reviews that many find helpful.

Docc - you come from the music biz as I recall and you more than anyone know how reviews go. Best to roll with it right?

Your product will ultimately sink or swim based on it's own merits - bottom line. Regardless of what the creator or the review(ers) say.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1985 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Quote:
On May 24, 2014, saysold1 wrote:
Parted as friends?

C'mon this definitely isn't that big a deal - I hope to see both of you at MindVention sharing a beer in October and I will buy!

I appreciated David's unfettered honesty - it is exceedingly rare for David to post negative reviews.

He also happens to write some of the most detailed and informative reviews on the Café - reviews that many find helpful.

Docc - you come from the music biz as I recall and you more than anyone know how reviews go. Best to roll with it right?

Your product will ultimately sink or swim based on it's own merits - bottom line. Regardless of what the creator or the review(ers) say.


Very well said. Agree that David's unfettered honesty is rare and highly valued.

Would have loved to seen a Switchblade-like demo video for The Device. By switchblade-like I mean one that actually shows a presentation of an effect. The switchblade demo was outstanding, showing the effect (or one possible effect) in its full glory, from the audience's perspective. The Device demo was essentially the complete opposite, talking about the effect, or possible effects, but demonstrating nothing. This left me wondering why.
STARE, AN4QVU, Mr. Chumley Takes a Peek, The Elvis Peek, Micro Billet Q&A, Instant Psychic Readings or Just for the Hull of It (Q&A 1-2-3 + Hull of a Peek) are sold separately and are available for $20 each. To order send Paypal for $20 to: mindreaderfxfx@gmail.com and specify which title you are ordering.

Videos are streaming only and cannot be downloaded.

Reviews can be found by doing a cafe search
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5941 Posts

Profile of george1953
I am so tired of these type of trailers that show you nothing. I understand that the creators want to protect what they have created but at least give us some idea of what you are offering. I never buy anything with this sort of trailer andup until now it has usually proved the right thing to do judging by ssubsequent comments here on the Café.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Docc Hilford
View Profile
V.I.P.
373 Posts

Profile of Docc Hilford
Gentlemen,

I want to thank all of you for the many, many emails with ideas and variations on The DEVICE.

All proceeds from the sale of The DEVICE are donated to a local charity in Miami.
One of the many projects they undertake is feeding Miami's large homeless population.
They also supply toothpaste and toothbrishes.

The DEVICE has already raised enough to fund a month of the program.

But we can do even more!

Win a new LAPTOP or new TABLET in the drawing Sunday night.
Plus, The DEVICE is 50% off until tomorrow night.

And every dollar goes to help someone else.

Thanks for your support,
Docc

http://www.nanacast.com/thedevice
CarlZen
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of CarlZen
The device is brilliant !
B. Morrison
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of B. Morrison
Add me to the list of satisfied Device purchasers. Ten bucks (or $20 if you don't get in on the early buyer discount) for 40 minutes of Docc's time is a dead simple no-brainer.

As for tipping the item in question, even if you're able to figure out what it is from David's review, it's unlikely you'd be able to figure out all of the critical details of construction and handling Docc shares that makes the Device a workable item.
CSArscott
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of CSArscott
I downloaded this and it looks great but I couldn't find a way to introduce it.

Swamister's ideas are realy helpful so I'm going to try again.
Chris
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2417 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
I have this and it is doable, but not exactly as advertised. I have been a big fan of Docc's for many, many years and I am grateful for many of his releases, but this is not one I will use. The device simply does not fit any type of current performances I do, I see it only in a séance or Halloween show, where candles are present.
Docc, don’t stop , not everything is a home run and this one surely got on first base.
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Hi Dave ~

What specifically was not as advertised? Remember Docc's ads are written from the audiences view.

Thanks..

~ Dan
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I've just added this into my work, reviving something I used to do. For me it is a perfect fit.

Tony
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2417 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
There were a few things that cannot be said due to exposure, one that can be is the actual device, I feel leaving it out of the trailer was wrong. Even in its ungimicked form, it should have been shown as it is the key component, part of the effect. Also leaving it with the spec. is not impossible, but to achieve that using the method described is not easy, even with a year of practice, you need loose pants. That’s why Docc did not show it.
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Actually the reason Docc did not show it is people make incorrect assumptions and believe they know how it works when they don't. We had that happen in the past with other effects. People thinking they knew what we were doing when it was actually quite different and more effective.

As for leaving the DEVICE with the spectators you could but why would you? I can think of no reason to do that. Docc was just pointing out it is possible. Your pants don't have to be that loose. But if that is what you want to do I can think of at least five ways to do it off the top of my head that don't require loose pants. And I highly doubt it would take a year of practice even if you have no experience in that sort of thing.

For everyone else the price is going up as soon as I get logged in and do it.
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3642 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Well done to Donald and Jon for winning the prizes.

Perhaps they should donate them to the charity, hint, hint Smile
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
Docc Hilford
View Profile
V.I.P.
373 Posts

Profile of Docc Hilford
Hello friends,

Thanks for the great input.
And terriffic support from hundreds of mentalists.

For the record...
Jon did donate his 1st prize back to charity!

And "your pocket" didn't mean pants pocket.
I meant suit pocket.

Lots of tips regarding where The DEVICE fits in.
NOT seances, but at high end locations where it's a natural.

Please don't give away what I'm saying, but join me on the Follow-up call next week.

Peace,
Docc
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
If you think that the device has the potential to be noticed as a prop and will lead to certain assumptions regarding its use, won't spectators also make incorrect assumptions about the device? They may not know exactly how it is done, but if they suspect the device played some role, would it not dampen the effect?

Regards,
Mike

Quote:
On May 27, 2014, bdekolta wrote:
Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Actually the reason Docc did not show it is people make incorrect assumptions and believe they know how it works when they don't. We had that happen in the past with other effects. People thinking they knew what we were doing when it was actually quite different and more effective.

As for leaving the DEVICE with the spectators you could but why would you? I can think of no reason to do that. Docc was just pointing out it is possible. Your pants don't have to be that loose. But if that is what you want to do I can think of at least five ways to do it off the top of my head that don't require loose pants. And I highly doubt it would take a year of practice even if you have no experience in that sort of thing.

For everyone else the price is going up as soon as I get logged in and do it.
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Quote:
If you think that the device has the potential to be noticed as a prop and will lead to certain assumptions regarding its use, won't spectators also make incorrect assumptions about the device? They may not know exactly how it is done, but if they suspect the device played some role, would it not dampen the effect?


It does not have that potential unless your (the performer's) actions create them. If you use it exactly as taught it will draw zero suspicion and the effect will be enhanced not dampened.

My other point is if I showed you a video demo of the DEVICE in action you would think you knew what it is but it is a bit more thought out than it appears which makes sense when you see the explanation. Docc described it over the phone to me and I still didn't pick up on all the nuances. Keep in mind I get a little here and a little there and have to piece it together over time. When I saw the video it all made sense.

Hope that helps.
pedrao15
View Profile
New user
São Paulo
43 Posts

Profile of pedrao15
Trailers with no real / live demonstration video = no no no.

I haven't bought this but as a costumer and video producer, this trailers just don't motivate me into buying the product. As "David Thiel" said, if we saw the gimmick we would understand, ok, got it. But come up with some different idea then! Check out the trailer for Adam Grace - Frozen, just a camera cut and ta-da, perfect trailer, in my opinion.

I know this is not a thread about trailers, but hey, it would save us a looooot of reading and writing just by showing the actual performance on video.

Thanks.
*puff*
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Pedro have you been reading what Docc and I have written? If you saw a demo you would think you have it but you won't. So we didn't.

If you want to do full trailers be my guest. Docc is the one who chooses what to record.

Thanks for your input.
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1985 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Quote:
On Jun 4, 2014, pedrao15 wrote:
Trailers with no real / live demonstration video = no no no.

I haven't bought this but as a costumer and video producer, this trailers just don't motivate me into buying the product. As "David Thiel" said, if we saw the gimmick we would understand, ok, got it. But come up with some different idea then! Check out the trailer for Adam Grace - Frozen, just a camera cut and ta-da, perfect trailer, in my opinion.

I know this is not a thread about trailers, but hey, it would save us a looooot of reading and writing just by showing the actual performance on video.

Thanks.
*puff*


Completely agree.
STARE, AN4QVU, Mr. Chumley Takes a Peek, The Elvis Peek, Micro Billet Q&A, Instant Psychic Readings or Just for the Hull of It (Q&A 1-2-3 + Hull of a Peek) are sold separately and are available for $20 each. To order send Paypal for $20 to: mindreaderfxfx@gmail.com and specify which title you are ordering.

Videos are streaming only and cannot be downloaded.

Reviews can be found by doing a cafe search
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » The Device by Docc Hilford (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL