We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » 100th monkey live! (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10629 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I was probably being far too harsh by saying their presentation wasn't special - it was very cute, especially with the rubber gloves.

I'm just not a fan of the "you are about to lose your speech premise" based on my own testing of this amazing concept.

The cool thing with this AGT snippet is how it shows the perspective from the video camera, which allows the larger audience to experience what the judges see.

Maybe Spektor will share his cool ideas - we have a thread down below just waiting for you Smile

I've now created 2 extra sets of larger cards for different performance situations - 12x18 (larger stage) and 8x12 (parlour, small stage) in addition to the standard size.

Great effect - and no doubt we will see someone on the Ellen show hit this at some point lol.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10577 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Hmmm which thread? I went looking - so I'll just post my premise, which is teaching about mental health issues in aging and injury, with the goals of POV empathy... i.e. using methods for creating experiences of memory loss, misperceptions of actions, aphasia, loss of cognitive functions, loss of pattern recognition, word salads, etc.... and then you see how this fits into an entire act devoted to getting people a taste of things such as having a stroke, developing alzheimer's disease, and so on.

I was playing around with the principle behind Chris's version before only with visuals- but never thought of using it in the way Chris proposed... genius sir! It opened my mind for a lot of spin off ideas.

I believe there is likely way more ways to present the basic core of the plot - combine it with inducing fatigue... or ala Bradbury - work it into the famous Step on a Butterfly in the Jurassic time travel ripple effect, bring them back and notice how all the wording on signs and so on has subtly altered... along with other things... (this is more an expansion on the concept - as one can design one's own text)... send them back in time to delay their alternative reality version so they don't step on the butterfly and return back to the same timeline (well almost the same - there still may be a kicker...)
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
sbays
View Profile
Inner circle
Burbank, CA
1045 Posts

Profile of sbays
The one thing I give these guys credit for, is that they do not take an effect and do it patter and all right out of the box. I have seen their show at the Castle, and they are good. They put their own twists on effects, and definitely make it their own. What they did with Greg Wilson's Exact Change was one of the smartest things I'd seen in a long time.

Their act is very commercial, and I recommend you catch them if you ever get a chance.
"Opportunity may only knock once, but temptation leans on the doorbell."
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10629 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
It doesn't matter if it's been done on TV. Go out and buy the trick so Chris makes lots of money and keeps putting out creative and amazing things.
GordonTheHypnotist
View Profile
Elite user
Don't Read This Sign
495 Posts

Profile of GordonTheHypnotist
Enjoyed watching this on tonight's AGT..... Lots of laughs and fooled the crap out of them.
Gullibility is an attractive quality in people
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1488 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
Why is it ok to do an effect seen on AGT, yet not ok to do an effect that say Derren Brown did in one of his specials? I see all the time here people coming up looking for info on a DB effect, only to be told that you shouldn't be performing something that was seen on TV because by doing it on TV it makes it that performers or some such. That is why I posted sarcastically before. I don't understand where the line is. It seems arbitrary to me, sometimes its ok to perform something seen on TV, sometimes it's not.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6285 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On Jun 3, 2014, Chaz93 wrote:
Why is it ok to do an effect seen on AGT, yet not ok to do an effect that say Derren Brown did in one of his specials? I see all the time here people coming up looking for info on a DB effect, only to be told that you shouldn't be performing something that was seen on TV because by doing it on TV it makes it that performers or some such. That is why I posted sarcastically before. I don't understand where the line is. It seems arbitrary to me, sometimes its ok to perform something seen on TV, sometimes it's not.

The short answer is that 100 Monkeys is a marketed effect and most of Derren's stuff was originally created for his show. Just because you see someone's show, whether on TV or live, does not mean you are suddenly given permission to do it. If they are doing an effect that is marketed then go right ahead and buy it.

So, when considering something then come onto the Café and ask if a certain effect is marketed or unique to the performer.

Think of this way: If you are doing in your act, let's say, an Invisible Deck then it's okay for someone to buy that. Now if you've created a new idea that duplicates that effect and works on a new principle then you would not like it if a fellow performer goes out and copies that after seeing your performance.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1488 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
Quote:
On Jun 3, 2014, Greg Arce wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 3, 2014, Chaz93 wrote:

The short answer is that 100 Monkeys is a marketed effect and most of Derren's stuff was originally created for his show. Just because you see someone's show, whether on TV or live, does not mean you are suddenly given permission to do it. If they are doing an effect that is marketed then go right ahead and buy it.

Greg

That makes sense, to a certain degree. Thanks for the reply.
LBP MAGIC
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of LBP MAGIC
Quote:
On May 22, 2014, Mike Ince wrote:
Looks great. Now the rest of us have to remove it from our acts for a little while.

yep. another great routine killed by tv.
LBP MAGIC
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of LBP MAGIC
Quote:
On May 25, 2014, Leeman wrote:
It doesn't matter if it's been done on TV. Go out and buy the trick so Chris makes lots of money and keeps putting out creative and amazing things.

it does for the way some of us have been using it. gone in a flash. it was fine while it lasted.

with that I have one for sale if anyone wants it. pm me.
Darby
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
236 Posts

Profile of Darby
Quote:
On Jun 3, 2014, LBP MAGIC wrote:
Quote:

it does for the way some of us have been using it. gone in a flash. it was fine while it lasted.

Really? That's just one of the effects in this package. The main effect in this package is significantly different than Speechless.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3899 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I thought it played exceptionally well. It was a charming presentation and the rubber glove was a great addition.

The method wasn't exposed...and I expect that, unless people are planning to copy the TV presentation exactly, the effect can still be performed quite easily -- and, people who have seen it on TV may actually enjoy seeing it presented live.

I've had it for a while and haven't performed it because I haven't come up with a routine I like well enough yet. It's a very clever prop. I'm just playing around with some ideas to make it feel a little less like a magic trick -- and more of a mentalism demonstration. I'm not knocking it, just tinkering with some ideas.

Time will tell -- but, off the top of my head, there are many ways to present this effect and the whole "stealing your ability to read" premise has a lot of potential.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1104 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
As an AGT veteran myself, I thought it was a brilliant audition. Here's what they did:

1) Came across as fun, competent, and likable. They made the judges want to see more of them.
2) Fooled the hell out of everyone. The judges were clearly enjoying the bit, and Howie had no clue.
3) Locked down the effect marvelously. They very cleverly arranged for the over-the-shoulder shot so the home audience saw Howie struggling with a word they could easily read.

Congratulations, guys. I'm looking forward to seeing you advance in the "contest." And remember, Howard is really on your side. He would like to see a magician (or magicians) win.

Bob
jaizon
View Profile
Inner circle
By time you read this I will have
1540 Posts

Profile of jaizon
I have been using the 100th Monkey for about two months and it always gets great reactions. I always try to use a second person to video over the participant's shoulder. The video they takje, when watched, just
kills. Smile
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1737 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
Quote:
On Jun 4, 2014, LBP MAGIC wrote:
Quote:

That's how I felt when I started performing this ten years ago on my Mind Tapped program (before this was rediscovered). You have to realize though that just because no there are many performers doing it there are still many, many audiences who have not seen it.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10629 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I've been using this fir many months at shows, mostly parlor or stage and it really is a fantastic effect.

I was surprised the guys used the smaller sized cards rather than an 8x12 size is so for that big an audience, but it worked perfectly with the use of extra cameras and screens for the audience.

This is a perfect example of "packs small, plays big."

Anyone who sells theirs just because it was on AGT is missing the boat. It's a big world out there and I agree with David and George that the chance of anyone seeing it or knowing the method is minuscule. Especially if you create your own presentation.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
I really like the effect. But I have yet to be able to do this as a non fooler for close up people. Any tips or ideas on that? I its really not suitable for close up I might have to let it go.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10629 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Jun 6, 2014, paisa23 wrote:
I really like the effect. But I have yet to be able to do this as a non fooler for close up people. Any tips or ideas on that? I its really not suitable for close up I might have to let it go.

Some good presentational ideas are at inner thoughts below.

The key is the presentation with this one - otherwise people can suspect what might be happening.

Also choose the right cards. I like the mid level ones for most purposes.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I'm late to the show on this, but Chris Philpott showed this to me at the Palace Bar in the Magic Castle last night. I loved it immediately and see how this can easily be presented effectively for almost any size audience.

This is definitely a worker that can be presented in so many different ways that the fact it was shown on AGT is insignificant.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » 100th monkey live! (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL