The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » 100th monkey live! (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5941 Posts

Profile of george1953
I performed it for the first time last night and was really surprised how strong it played. O
I did it as a hypnosis type thing and even the woman I used to read the cards came to me after the show and said, why couldn't I read the words. I didn't feel like I was hypnotised. One thing I will change is the fact that she had no mic. I think it would be better if everyone could hear her struggling to pronounce the words. I cant wait to try it again.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Yeah I love the effect. Would love to hear more from Close-up guys to see how they have adapted or altered or re-sized things. PM me if must.
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
Thanks Bob Baker for the kind words, we were really fortunate to have Chris Philpott to help us out before and during this whole process. I'm glad some of you like it, and hopefully everyone goes out and buys the trick.
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
Also Chris has a book coming out soon with lots of different presentational ideas and unique was to use the idea. He's described a few of his thoughts and they are amazing
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3916 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I just did this effect at a Children's Festival. You know something? It worked PERFECTLY. This event is one where schools brought their kids...there were a LOT of teachers.

The routine in simple terms: "How much fun would it be to give the teacher a test?"

A teacher comes out of the audience...so does another adult.

I asked a teacher and another adult to join us onstage under the premise of giving the teacher a test. I had cue cards written where the teacher read things like "I am a teacher." "I am VERY smart." "I have been reading for a long time." "But when David snaps his fingers...I will completely lose my ability to read."

So I showed the "word" card to my adult volunteer who verified it was a word without saying it out loud. Then I showed it to my teacher and she tried to sound out the word. It sounded like gibberish.

GREAT response. The kids laughed and the teachers were honestly baffled. Hearing them trying to sound out the word was AWESOME. I learned that it's important for them to be on a mic...because hearing them trying to say the word is completely entertaining.

I'll be honest: I thought this effect was a little magic-ky in the beginning...but to be completely honest, the power of this routine is WAY out proportion to the mechanics. It's VERY powerful. Powerful enough that I'm thinking of a way to incorporate it into my adult show.

Amazing stuff, Chris. Thank you for this little miracle. I'm actively working on this one for a place in my stage show. I do not have a higher praise for your clever method than this.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5941 Posts

Profile of george1953
Completely agree with the mic thing David. As I said in my post earlier, it would play much stronger if everyone could hear them struggling to pronounce the words.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Elite user
477 Posts

Profile of Chris Philpott
Thank you, Bob! It was such a pleasure meeting you at the Castle and I look forward to seeing you again Tuesday! And thanks to David, Brett, Leeman and everyone else!

For anyone in the LA area, you should check out David and Leeman's show at the Hollywood Fringe -- I saw it the other night and it's excellent!

-Chris
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10632 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Here is a link to the show:

https://www.hollywoodfringe.org/projects/1638?
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2535 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On May 23, 2014, Chaz93 wrote:
Nope. It's been done on TV, that means none of us should use it. We should strive to create our own routines and effects, not just copy what we see others on TV doing. Would you want someone seeing your act and saying "Oh, I saw so and so do that on tv the other night?"

One of the golden rules is that if it's on tv you are barred from ever performing it again. Smile

That means no more tt, sponge balls, illusions, cards, rope, linking rings, wow. There goes a career.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » 100th monkey live! (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL