The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Silver coins.... bigger than/smaller than... (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1979 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
A silver dollar. Any suggestions?

thanks
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Half crowns, crowns, thalers, pieces of eight... Philippian dollars...
...to all the coins I've dropped here
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1622 Posts

Profile of JNeal
If you are looking for 'coins' larger than a silver dollar, I recommend these 44mm Sterling Silver medallions from Chard. They are not edge milled but are considerably larger (and heavier) than a silver dollar.

Here's the link:http://24carat.co.uk/frame.php?url=kingsanqueensofenglandmedallions43pinches.html

Regards-
J.Neal
visit me @ JNealShow.com
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1979 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
Im looking for a silver coin somewhere between a half dollar and a silver dollar. Around 35/36 mm. I did a little checking on Ebay but everything's too expensive.
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
I have a 1 peso coin...either 1 or 5...cant recall at the moment, but it's bigger than a half and not as big as a dollar.

You going to be doing Fugitive coins?
Richie Larson
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
92 Posts

Profile of Richie Larson
I second half crowns.. Before I went full dollar, I contemplated going with something in between. Half Crowns were it. Exactly what I would have wanted, but ended up just pushing my work with Dollar coins. I found them readily available at most coin shops here in the US. And whats also cool is, they are a mix of silver and whatever else.. So, they're cheaper compared to the almost full silver, us coins.. Yet still look and sound a little nicer/different, than clad coins.
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1979 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
Great. Ill check them out
bobthemagicdoerguy
View Profile
Regular user
I can't remember where I left my
186 Posts

Profile of bobthemagicdoerguy
Try these:

http://www.mint.ca/store/coin/20-for-20-......d1840075

If I remember correctly, they are about the size of a $0.75 cent piece, if there were such a thing.

Edit: my mistake. I just dug up my old one, it is smaller than a 50 cent piece. But there is a Canadian coin of some type that is the "in-between" size, although exactly which one escapes me at the moment...
Stperformer
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of Stperformer
Canadian nickel one dollar coins are pretty cheap and plentiful. Not to be mistaken for the loonie which is much smaller.

Canada minted for a number of years a Nickel Dollar coin (sometimes refered to as the newer 'sliver dollars, tho there is no silver in them). The size is between a US 50 cent piece and a US silver dollar. You should be able to pick them up for a couple bucks each. They will also stick to a magnet which works great if you want to use them with a magnet as a hook coin (check out Bobo's.)

I used these for years back in the late 80's when I could pick up a roll of 20 for $20 at the banks in Canada.

Nelson
Alexander Wells
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of Alexander Wells
I second/third half crowns. You can get sterling silver half crowns as well. The earlier ones are sterling (.925) same as silver half dollars. My favourite are the veiled Queen Victoria faced half crowns.
manreb
View Profile
Special user
666 Posts

Profile of manreb
Half crowns are just a bit bigger than a US half dollar.

Up to 1920 - sterling silver (925 fine or 925/1000 parts silver)

1921 to 1946 - 50% silver (500 fine or 500/1000 parts silver)

1947 on - cupro nickel

I own severl sets. My favorite is a set of George III dated 1817. Worderfuly quiet and a good conversation starter, patter line.
CarpetShark
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of CarpetShark
Another option is to look at the big auction site for copper rounds. They come in a variety of sizes.
Inviso
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Inviso
Quote:
On May 25, 2014, VernonOnCoins wrote:
Im looking for a silver coin somewhere between a half dollar and a silver dollar. Around 35/36 mm. I did a little checking on Ebay but everything's too expensive.

Canadian Silver dollars (1935 -1965) are 36mm and have .6 ounces of silver so they should cost less than other high content silver coins.

Randy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Silver coins.... bigger than/smaller than... (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL