The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2014 entrée: Danny Orleans » » Colleges and Universities » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Hi Danny. Have you found these students to be a difficult crowd. It seems like I've had more hecklers from this venue than any other. Your thoughts please.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Danny Orleans
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago
119 Posts

Profile of Danny Orleans
Hi Steve:
Colleges are one area that I only dipped my toe into for a very short period of time... and it was 25 years ago. It doesn't surprise me that college audiences are filled with hecklers. After all, many of them are teenagers without supervision. Yikes!

There are magicians who are successful in this market. From what I understand, they are either hip comedians, or do mentalism. The actual venue at the college is also going to play a big factor. Are you trying to work "nooners" where you're performing in a Caféteria or student union while they're eating lunch? Or are you in a theater where students are paying for tickets?

I'm not familiar with your work, repertoire, character or style, so it's hard for me to say whether or not colleges is a good market for you. However, I would be comfortable saying that it takes a magician who has just the right approach to be successful in that marketplace because the demographic is very specific.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Thanks for your input. I think you're right on all accounts.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2014 entrée: Danny Orleans » » Colleges and Universities » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL