The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » What is a good motivation for the classic bill switch (TT) (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1438 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
Hello folks,

as for bill switches I am using Extreme Burn 2.0. However, I was always drawn to the classic bill switch as well. I just love this thing. So clean and pure. But there was a reason why I never performed it so far. I just don't know what kind of motivation is behind everything and this leads to my biggest problem: what to do AFTER the switch has happened.

They give me a €10 Bill. Now to impress them I could switch it to a higher denomination like a €50 bill. Or to make a little comedy act out of it I could change it into a lower denomination bill like a €5 bill.
In both cases I do not know what to do with their original bill, and what do I do with the newly created bill? Do you change it back or what are you doing here?
I hope this thread will help me overcoming my hesitation of performing this wonderful effect.

Regards,
Markus
"Dropping your pants while you set off flash paper may allow your pass to go undetected, but it's still not invisible." - Count Elmsley
Taterini
View Profile
Special user
604 Posts

Profile of Taterini
You could use this line during the initial switch, " Magic is all about perception and some people think perception is in fact reality." After it sinks in that the bill has magically changed, switch it back to the original bill while saying , "It's true magic is all about perception but perception is not always reality." Then hand the original bill back to them. I wouldn't let them hold the higher denomination bill unless you are prepared to end up with less money in your pocket than you started with.
Another idea would be to start the switch with saying, "I had a dream the other night that I could turn $1 bills into $20 bills." (insert whatever denomination & currency you like for the $1 & $20). Let the switch sink in a for a few seconds and then start to switch it back saying, "But it was all just a dream and we all know dreams do not always come true."
Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1438 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
Yea I was afraid that this bill switch ends up in having to swtich it back Smile
"Dropping your pants while you set off flash paper may allow your pass to go undetected, but it's still not invisible." - Count Elmsley
Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1438 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
Wow noone on this forum has anything to add here? I am a bit shocked. It is one of the most classic money tricks and I think performed quite often around the world.
I think it is so clean and visual. Therefore I would love to perform it. But I don't see any good "story" around it or any motivation why to borrow a bill and then where did that thing go?? Switching it back is VERY lame in my opinion. And using your own bill, saves you the hassle of explaining what happened tot he first bill, however, it is not as magicial, since the bill "might have been gimmicked" or whatever, since it was not from a spectator.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
You could write something on the bill, "Yours" for instance and have it change to one that says "Mine".
It could be anything. Then you're not changing a lower bill into a higher bill.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
BitterBrewerAZ
View Profile
New user
Tucson, AZ
65 Posts

Profile of BitterBrewerAZ
Memory-Jah,

I like making the switch to a lower denomination, a 20 down to a 10 or 10 to a 5. After the switch I bring out my wallet and go into a quick 2 bill routine with a couple of cards and then switch the 2 lower denomination bills back and finish where it started.
serge storms
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas
380 Posts

Profile of serge storms
I posted some time ago my routine with the borrowed bill which is signed; and after being changed into a mismade bill; their signed bill is found in a zippered car key case (it could also be "found" under their drink, in a card box, sealed envelope, pocket; anywhere you'd like.)
The way I do it; and have done it for over 20 years, the routine comes back full circle and makes complete sense.
My original handling on it; along with the routine I posted some time ago is here somewhere. For me it's worked extremely well for many years.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
That is a good idea, have the borrowed bill appear in another place or item. Excellent thinking, so simple and no one has done it. I was looking for a different way to destroy or vanish a bill, and this sounds like an excellent solution. There is so many boxes, tubes, cans, cases, wallets on the market, any of them will work for a reveal. Thank you for your enlightened idea. I have to go now and work on the idea for what I want to use it for in the show. You saved a solid routine.
mathmagic
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of mathmagic
You can swtich for a blank paper with your initials or your name, so you borrow let's say a $20 bill and say "what is more worth than a $20 bill(wilhe you say you fold the bill) so you say "A piece of paper with my signature"(while you change) so you hand out the paper, do some cards tricks or whatever and at the end you put your TT inside the card case and pull out the bill, or you can do this with your wallet or envelope Smile
kekoa1
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of kekoa1
Gregory Wilson has an interesting take called, "Illegal Tender". Starts with a blank piece of paper, with every fold the image of a $20.00 gradually comes into view...until you end up with a real $20.00
otreboR
View Profile
Veteran user
The Netherlands
398 Posts

Profile of otreboR
I have never done this, but maybe you can do a switch and perform "Angle Z by Daniel Madison". You use a bill instead of a card.
The motivation of folding the bill is making it easier to rip of a corner.
In this case it's not a visible change of the bill, but the spectator things you still have the bill he just gave you.
David Fillary
View Profile
Special user
662 Posts

Profile of David Fillary
Greed by Daniel Garcia has an interesting premise where you escalate the bill denominations then ask if you should try for a 50. They say yes and it changes into a 50 cent coin, followed with the line "don't be greedy". This is a fantastic joke ending but I feel this version is too gaffed and the note can't be borrowed.

So I borrow a £5 or £10 (I'm in UK) and change it to a £20. I ask if they want to try for a £50 and it changes back to their note instead, followed by the line "sometimes we should quit while we're ahead". Gets some fun responses Smile
Kbuck54
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of Kbuck54
I like to ask to borrow a one dollar bill and ask if they have ever seen it turned inside out? Do the switch for a Mis made Bill. HAnd it to them to examine and then for Legal reasons, you have to change it back to their bill.
Keith Shazam
SHAZAM!
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
I use Sam Sandler's Illusion of fusion.

Two borrowed $1 bills become one $2 - gets a great reaction as few folks have ever seen a $2 bill, and they get to keep it.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Quote:
On Aug 9, 2014, kekoa1 wrote:
Gregory Wilson has an interesting take called, "Illegal Tender". Starts with a blank piece of paper, with every fold the image of a $20.00 gradually comes into view...until you end up with a real $20.00

Sounds like "Cinch".
Ihor
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Quote:
On Jul 9, 2014, Bill Hegbli wrote:
That is a good idea, have the borrowed bill appear in another place or item. Excellent thinking, so simple and no one has done it. I was looking for a different way to destroy or vanish a bill, and this sounds like an excellent solution. There is so many boxes, tubes, cans, cases, wallets on the market, any of them will work for a reveal. Thank you for your enlightened idea. I have to go now and work on the idea for what I want to use it for in the show. You saved a solid routine.

I do this often.
"Bill in Lemon"
Ihor
JeffreyMichael1127
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of JeffreyMichael1127
Do you guys use a thumb tip for the transpo, or go without it? I'm not sure which direction to take with the transpo.
Kbuck54
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of Kbuck54
Do the switch with the best method for YOU. There is a good book called switch, that has all kinds of swtches.
Check it out.
Keith Shazam
SHAZAM!
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Quote:
On Sep 13, 2014, JeffreyMichael1127 wrote:
Do you guys use a thumb tip for the transpo, or go without it? I'm not sure which direction to take with the transpo.

I use a TT for other effects, but use bare hands for a bill switch. Never found a TT useful for it.

But try a few different routines and settle on one you're happy with.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
SKILL
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
145 Posts

Profile of SKILL
I love Money Morph by kevin King by far the best
In order to arrive at perfeccion
you must go through the failure
Japanese Thoughts
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » What is a good motivation for the classic bill switch (TT) (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL