The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » The Professional Mentalist's Field Manual (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
guitarmagic
View Profile
Elite user
Southern Louisiana
423 Posts

Profile of guitarmagic
I find the Professional Mentalist's Field Manual to be worthy of anyone's library, as with all your works, Richard . . . your delivery in this book is clear, concise, powerful, practical, accurate and astoundingly profitable for serious students of mystery arts, and I imagine for many professionals as well.

Thanks for the continued and excellent guidance Richard Osterlind!
Why is it that on one side of the world a person looks at a picture of the Grand Canyon and says, "it looks so real." At the same time on the other side of the world a person looks at the Grand Canyon and says, "it looks like a picture."
volcane
View Profile
New user
Virginia
34 Posts

Profile of volcane
Richard is old school, and this is definitely a GOOD thing. This compact book is like a sit-down with your dad who is giving you some life advice before you leave home and go into the world on your own. His field manual offers sound, practical advice about how to be appealing to broad markets, what you need to do to be regarded as a professional, what to consider when putting together a commercial act that is ready to go anytime, anywhere. The field manual is aptly named as a basic survival guide. No tricks here, just sound battlefield advice from a senior officer. You will read it many times to absorb the seemingly simple but profoundly practical lessons from a proven self-made pro who has seen it all.
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1758 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
Thought I would chime in and give my two cents of this wonderous eve of the return of Bob and Richard to the P3 Studios in Columbus. I picked up my copy of the Field Manual from Jim Sisti when he was in town and absolutely LOVE this information locked away between it's sleek camo covers. This is definitely worth picking up if you're looking to be in the business or even simply create a moment of astonishment for your friends & family. I am glad to see other's getting as much value from it's pages as I am, read on good people.

XX,
-Jakob
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10489 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I keep thumbing back through it and discovering nuggets of wisdom that I need to apply. Great little book.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
Falco Spitz
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Falco Spitz
Realy great !
Will follow the advice and read "principles of magic" next.
Thank you Richard!
Greetings from Germany!
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2071 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
Such a great time.

(not only is my copy dog-eared, it is also dog-chewed! My two new puppies got a hold of it before I did when I came in the mail, but it is still readable, thankfully! )

Bryn
"The Safwan Papers" eBook: $30
Please read the many great reviews here at the Cafe:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=253272&forum=15

"THE LOGAR SCROLLS" eBook is also now available ($30)
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=464100&forum=303&70

SPECIAL: "LOGAR" & "SAFWAN PAPERS" Combo Deal: $50

Thanks,
Bryn
cavscout19@hotmail.com (also my PayPal for purchases)
Keith Raygor
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
956 Posts

Profile of Keith Raygor
I've never read a book twice in my life. Just finished it, and going to start it again.
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2071 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
Quote:
On Oct 9, 2014, mindhunter wrote:
Such a great time.

Bryn

TOME...I meant TOME, not "time." (Well, reading it WAS a great time, though......)

Bryn

Thanks,
Bryn
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
British Columbia
1405 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
Excellent material. Richard's delivery is flawless, easy to read and he presents valuable pearls of wisdom.

Ray
EnterTRAINment at its best. Keeping the Magic Alive in Northern BC
Circusman
View Profile
Special user
Kent, England.
570 Posts

Profile of Circusman
Got this yesterday.
Was surprised at the advice given regards to PS, although I can fully understand the authors reasoning. However, it begs the question as to how far that advice should be taken literally. I'm thinking of where the line should be drawn, and it's application to B***et work.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10489 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Richard is very opinionated on this subject and frankly I think he is spot on in many respects. I think his feeing is that PS can be done as long as it is made clear to all that the two of you met prior to the show and blah blah blah happened (performer never saw name, card, etc).

I used to disagree more but having done some shows where the PS presented some small issues, I am now thinking I agree with his thinking about PS.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
Personally, I love PS. And, there is a proper way to handle it. However, this being a googleable thread it is best having detailed discussions elsewhere.

Best wishes,

Scott
p.s. Performed my Banquet Act just last evening which makes very good use of this. Not that anyone asked, but this act includes the revelation of a music act, a famous person, a DD, a magic square, an ungimmicked book test, Q & A and ends with a prediction. All for under 25 bucks.
'Curiouser and curiouser."
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10489 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Your killing me! I gotta catch your show one of these days! Sounds superb
Circusman
View Profile
Special user
Kent, England.
570 Posts

Profile of Circusman
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2014, Scott Soloff wrote:
Personally, I love PS. And, there is a proper way to handle it. However, this being a googleable thread it is best having detailed discussions elsewhere.

Best wishes,

Scott

I'm pretty sure that I have not mentioned anything that was not mentioned previously on this thread (including by the author himself) which you may not have observed.
Additionally, the book is available en masse on the big auction site.
I doubt the need for anyone to google something so readily available.

Thank you for your comments, Saysold 1. I'm sure there are some very useful snippets in the book. I'm finding them already !

Regards,

Bobby.
mtgoldstein
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston, TX
318 Posts

Profile of mtgoldstein
Loaded with advice, theory, philosophy. Any way you look at it it aims to take whatever level of performance one has and elevate it.
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
Bobby,

Sorry, but I wasn't referring to your post. I meant that I enjoy discussing this topic but would not go into detail here. That's all.

Best wishes,

Scott
'Curiouser and curiouser."
Circusman
View Profile
Special user
Kent, England.
570 Posts

Profile of Circusman
Sorry Scott,
guess I picked up the wrong vibes (mentalism powers slipped a bit).

Regards,

Bobby.
bobaji
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of bobaji
A bit late to this thread but I just wanted to add what a great little book this is. I used Richards effects in my shows for well over ten years now, and love his thinkng and his style. There are lots of people putting out mentalism effects but only a few who really perform for real people. Even though I like to think of myself as a pro, Richards work always re inspires me. I nearly didn't buy this book, thinkng I would already know much of what he would have to say. In some cases that was right, in others I was soooo wrong. I read the whole thing in an afternoon and will be dipping in and out of this for a while to come no doubt.
Sensio
View Profile
Special user
I promise I won't exceed
632 Posts

Profile of Sensio
Haven't got this yet but it's literally the first time I so much fancy the look and messaging on the front cover of a book related to our art.

Well done!
SENSIOPAD - Finest Peeking Technology

K N O C K O U T M E N T A L I S M . C O M
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2071 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
This, too, is gold. (Not a lot of Richard's ISN'T, is it??)

and ya just GOTTA love the militaristic look of the cover...like a real Field Manual!

Bryn

Thanks,
Bryn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » The Professional Mentalist's Field Manual (12 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL