The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » APPS-alutely » » Using Siri to Reveal a Selected Card (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Wilktone
View Profile
Loyal user
Asheville, NC
258 Posts

Profile of Wilktone
I imagine that some other folks have already come up with this idea and maybe even come up with a better solution, but I wanted to share a method I came up with have Siri (the talking iPhone voice) reveal a selected card.

First, you might need a Mac computer to create the sound file you need. You'll need to install the "Samantha" voice on your Mac (it's a free download), which is the same voice as Siri's on an iPhone (here are some instructions).

You'll also need to download some software that will allow you to record audio using your internal sound (not a mic). I used Soundflower, which is also free (instructions here).

Next, open your favorite text program (I think I used Text Edit, but anything that you can type into and get your Mac's text-to-speech to read for you will work). Type the script you want Siri to speak and using Quicktime or GarageBand record Samantha/Siri speaking the script. I liked using GarageBand for this recording because I was easily able to add dramatic pauses and allow a little time between lines for me to "converse" with Siri.

Save your final audio file as an MP3 and title it something like, "Guess the Card, Siri." Load it up on your iPhone.

Now go into your iPhone settings. Go to the "General" settings, then "Siri." There should be a switch for "Raise to Speak," which you want on. This will allow you to activate Siri by raising the phone up to your ear and the voice of Siri will playback on the ear speaker while it's raised to your ear. There's a knack for getting Siri to activate correctly like this, so you'll need to experiment a bit to make this work consistently. The phone should be on (just on the lock screen will do) and I find it helps to hold the phone up to look at the screen first, then raise it to your ear.

When Siri comes on, say, "Play guess the card, Siri." (or "Play" followed by whatever you named your audio file.). Keep the phone at your ear until Siri states, "Ok, playing 'guess the card, Siri' in your music." Then set your phone down on the table and your audio file of Samantha/Siri reading your script will play through the iPhone Speaker.

The script I came up with is something like this. First you have a spectator pick a card using your favorite f***e method.

Me - (raise phone to ear) Play guess the card, Siri. (keep phone up to ear)

Siri - (in ear speaker) OK, playing "Guess the Card, Siri."

Me - (set phone on table)

Siri - (now in iPhone speaker). OK, but this is the last time. I an advanced piece of 21st century technology and you use me for cheap magic tricks. (slight dramatic pause). Now, concentrate on your card. (slight pause).

Me - (pick up my beer and take a sip).

Siri - You're not concentrating, David! (slight pause)

Me - (look chagrined, put down my beer, and visibly start concentrating)

Siri - That's better. Now picture your card very clearly in your mind. (slight pause). Your card is the King of Spades. (longer pause)

Me - Siri, that's right! You're amazing!

Siri - Yes, I know.

So it's not really a mystifying reveal, but when I tried it out on a couple of friends who have iPhones they not only didn't figure out how Siri knew the name of the card but also how I was able to get Siri to actually tell us the card. It was good for a chuckle. Easily customizable to do whatever script you'd like.

I know if you jailbreak your iPhone and have some coding chops you can do a lot more with getting customized responses to your spoken requests.

Dave
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
Sounds cool , but I hate macs, so do you know if this works on pc?
Reality is a real killjoy.
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Nice idea.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » APPS-alutely » » Using Siri to Reveal a Selected Card (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL