The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Easiest Stack From Shuffled / New Deck Order (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

shakuni
View Profile
Special user
946 Posts

Profile of shakuni
Which stack is easiest to get from (1) shuffled deck and (2) new deck? Thanks!
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4754 Posts

Profile of landmark
If you are starting with a randomly shuffled pack, then in the long run, getting to any specified stack will be of equivalent difficulty.

If you start in NDO, then the answer is that it depends on the stack you want. For example, if your stack is AAAA22223333.... then you can get there in two faros. To get into since Si Stebbins from NDO, check out other threads in this section. Tamariz is possible but not easy. Aronson much more difficult.

But really stop delaying, and start memorizing! You will be glad you did. Smile
Eric Richardson
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Eric Richardson
From NDO: Marlo has a very easy one and so does Michael Skinner (see Classic Sampler).
vindar
View Profile
New user
Paris, France
62 Posts

Profile of vindar
If you can do faro shuffles, then Tamariz's stack Mnemonica is really convenient for going from (European) NDO to stack order and back.

This was my first reason for memorizing this stack. It is easy to set up and ending with the deck in NDO is imho a wonderful finish. Moreover, you can also very easily go from Mnemonica to staystack which give you the opportunity to perform great tricks using this special kind of ordering of the deck...
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2014 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
You can probably get into Stebbins the fastest using Ortiz' secret (a few quick overhand shuffles and faros). Not only is it faster getting into Stebbins effects, but you can follow them with a Gilbreath demonstration or two.

Mnemonica requires so much shuffling (especially from U.S. NDO) that I never get set in front of specs anymore. A d**k s***ch serves me better.
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1197 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Quote:
On Jun 13, 2014, Mike Ince wrote:
Mnemonica requires so much shuffling (especially from U.S. NDO) that I never get set in front of specs anymore. A d**k s***ch serves me better.

Wise words.
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Quote:
On Jun 13, 2014, Waterloophai wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 13, 2014, Mike Ince wrote:

Wise words.

I can't (yet) do a perfect faro, but I do set up Mnemonica quite quickly doing two antifaro-2s and the Klondike shuffle from European NDO (a slight variation from the approach given in book of a deck reversal and an antifaro-4, which is just as much dealing). However, I can't imagine being bold enough to do it in front of spectators, even with Tamariz's suggested "this is how they get a really good mix in Las Vegas/Atlantic City/Monte Carlo" patter. I find that more often I set up the stack in private directly, as it is a good exercise in consolidating my memory.

Les
David Martin
View Profile
Regular user
East Lyme, CT
118 Posts

Profile of David Martin
In the book The Secrets of Brother John Hamman on pg. 71 is an item called "Chinese Shuffle to Si Stebbins Stack". With it you can get into Si Stebbins stack on the fly, from a shuffled deck, with 6 quick culls.

Definately a handy thing to practice and have in your toolbox!

David
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On May 30, 2014, Eric Richardson wrote:
From NDO: Marlo has a very easy one and so does Michael Skinner (see Classic Sampler).

And though Eric is too modest to mention, he too has a beautiful solution. PM him. Smile

I bought his e-book on this last year and I love the method. It DOES take some considerable study but it could be just the ticket.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4754 Posts

Profile of landmark
Vlad, is Eric's solution from NDO to a known stack or to one of his own devising?
Eric Richardson
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Eric Richardson
It is into Aronson order. As Vlad says, it does take some dedication to learn. I have recently returned to it and have simplified it even more. More info coming in the near future...
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4754 Posts

Profile of landmark
Into Aronson? Now you have my attention...
Stratton Magic
View Profile
New user
New Jersey
34 Posts

Profile of Stratton Magic
Juan Tamariz lists several ways to get into any memorized stack (not just his own) from a shuffled deck in MNEMONICA. My personal favorite is the Nikola system. Lately I've been playing around with adding elements of "Memory Man" by Joel Givens and coming up with some interesting ideas.
Stratton Magic
View Profile
New user
New Jersey
34 Posts

Profile of Stratton Magic
Quote:
On Jun 15, 2014, David Martin wrote:
In the book The Secrets of Brother John Hamman on pg. 71 is an item called "Chinese Shuffle to Si Stebbins Stack". With it you can get into Si Stebbins stack on the fly, from a shuffled deck, with 6 quick culls.

Definately a handy thing to practice and have in your toolbox!

David

This is an interesting solution too. A few notes for those unfamiliar with the effect:

-The culls are done openly - going through the deck, upjogging particular groups of cards, and cutting them to the back - not secretly like a Hofzinser cull.

-In the book, the effect is first described as a way to arrange the deck into four of a kinds, Ace through King, in the context of a pick-a-card trick (with two selections). To get to this order only requires 4 culls, if I remember correctly. No trick is described for doing the six culls to get to Si Stebbins order.

-Though the required math is not written out, this cull method could be used to obtain any stack order.

Hope this helps anyone interested in exploring this idea further.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Easiest Stack From Shuffled / New Deck Order (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL