The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Finale for Busking Show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sjbrundage
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of sjbrundage
Hey Guys,

I thought this would fit on the busking page. I have been closing my show with blindfold Rubik's Cube solve. It has worked amazing as a finale and I love performing it. Its hard to see the cube because my hand is covering most of it. But I hope you guys enjoy it. Also, Feel free to post some feedback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZN2kKkgaWM
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
This is very cool, I love it, well done.
Nice likable character
One thing I would suggest is simply raising your hand above your head instead of infront of you.
This would eliminate the angle problem that you mentioned and perhaps you could ditch the blind fold.
You now can alow the audeance see the concentration on your face plus you still cant see the Rubik Cube if its above your head. (somthing to experiment with!)

To be able to give you full constuctive feed back I would have to see more of the show.
Your Build
Your hat lines
Audience Management and so on.
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
667 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
Wow, and one handed. I still can't do it with eyes open and both hands!

I agree with Mario about holding it above your head, and then you can look at and make comments with the spectators.
It got a little quiet which may build tension, but if you are asking for a few names it is a chance to use them, like "How am I doing Bob?"
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
I liked it a lot. Smile

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
sjbrundage
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of sjbrundage
You make some very good points. This isn't exactly how I do it now. I added this in my show only a few months ago. I usually have lines that I will say to the audience while I do the solve. And I have gotten better at holding it so all the audience can see it.

I like the idea of them seeing my face while I do the solve (I might play with that) I do have some nice gags with the blind fold.. that get a few laughs. That I have recently added. Ex. Put the blind fold on... wait a few seconds..... then take a quick peek.

I am sure this will evolve over the next few months. So I am excited to see where its at in a few months. I will see if I can get a good video of the entire act.

I will probably just share it with a select few. I would be happy to send it to you to get feedback. I would say around 66.6 of the small show is completely original material.

Quote:
On May 30, 2014, Mario Morris wrote:
This is very cool, I love it, well done.
Nice likable character
One thing I would suggest is simply raising your hand above your head instead of infront of you.
This would eliminate the angle problem that you mentioned and perhaps you could ditch the blind fold.
You now can alow the audeance see the concentration on your face plus you still cant see the Rubik Cube if its above your head. (somthing to experiment with!)

To be able to give you full constuctive feed back I would have to see more of the show.
Your Build
Your hat lines
Audience Management and so on.
sjbrundage
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of sjbrundage
Good point about it getting quiet. I love the fact that I can get everyone watching and not saying a word. My favorite part is hearing them whispering to themselves the closer and closer I get. But yeah.. I have recently added in some great lines while I do the solve.

Quote:
On May 30, 2014, Magic.J.Manuel wrote:
Wow, and one handed. I still can't do it with eyes open and both hands!

I agree with Mario about holding it above your head, and then you can look at and make comments with the spectators.
It got a little quiet which may build tension, but if you are asking for a few names it is a chance to use them, like "How am I doing Bob?"
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
I do provide consultations, having a video to study is one great way to go.
I would watch the footage wirte notes and then we can thrash them out over a skype session.
To find out more you can just send me an email mario.morris@hotmail.co.uk
Glad I was able to help.
Mario
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1026 Posts

Profile of Ado
Looks like my post disappeared.

I had written that you should make the ending longer *after* solving the cube. It looks like you're dismissing them. You should warmly thank them, say that you hope they had even half as much a good time as you had, etc.

It still takes me 3 minutes t solve a cube, so I'm impressed Smile

P!
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1311 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Great trick and great relaxed performance style. Its great to hear your working on it and fine tuning. I dint relise Mario Morris did video feed back I might look into that my self it be worth it.

One thing I want to say from personal experience is work on your hat lines. You don't need to be hard out but really work them in and be shy about it. A while ago I kept my routine the same but worked on my hat lines. After a while I realized I could make as much on a bad day now as I could on a good day a while back.

As for connecting with the crowd using names is great also hand out a few spare cubes to see if people can beat you.

But I think you just need to keep working on what you have and your get there.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
667 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
Next you can work on doing a Knights Tour with your left hand while reciting the Gettysburg Address!

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
mike bonfield
View Profile
Regular user
182 Posts

Profile of mike bonfield
Great trick loved it well done mike in u.k
WilliamMckeehan
View Profile
New user
Moriarty, NM
40 Posts

Profile of WilliamMckeehan
Great Idea! I had a similar one. But could not solve the rubiks cube fast enough... let alone blind folded. Have you thought of trying to patter while solving it? Idk If that would ruin the effect or make it seem more impressive..
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Thanks for sharing.

'Way back in the 1970s or so, when Rubik's Cubes were popular in New Zealand my kids had some. One figured out a way to solve it. He peeled off the stickers from his jumbled 'mess' and re-stuck them on their 'proper' faces. Now that would be a real challenge to solve!!

I wonder how your routine would work if you used an actual mask instead of a cloth. You could get a helper from the crowd to fit it on you. And what if, when you get the Cube solved, you let the crowd see it and cheer a bit and then you take off your mask and you do not look at the cube but just lower the mask over the cube and ask the crowd "How did I do?" Get them to clap, cheer, etc. Then lift off the mask from the cube, look at it, and exclaim "Yes!" and appeal for more applause.

There's so much to learn about busking and making it better personally. The hatting could definitely be improved, but then, how many of us are completely happy with our hatting all the time?
The presentation makes the magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Finale for Busking Show (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL