The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Fargo - TV Series (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
133 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
After six episodes I finally had to check on whether the story was true or not. Apparently not, despite the notice before each episode. I guess I was a sucker for the Coen brothers trick.

Anyway, I really enjoy the show. It does make me wonder how folks can live in that neck of the woods during winter.
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
I like Fargo too. Thanks for checking that out John because I've wondered about that statement at the beginning too. My gut feeling was that it wasn't true and the series really has the tone of the movie Fargo years ago with Frances McDormand and Steve Buscemi. And guess what I just discovered by Googling Fargo-the movie? Yup, produced by the Coen brothers. Smile

I lived in Montana for three years and the winters out there are brutal. But the wildlife and sporting opportunities there are really spetacular.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Richard Sherry
View Profile
Veteran user
Calgary, AB, Canada
313 Posts

Profile of Richard Sherry
My partner Dayle Krall and I got to do a little magic on episode 8 of Fargo. We got to perform our sub trunk illusion. Martin Freeman and Billy Bob are awesome guys to work with!
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
I'll be lookin' for you Richard, thanks for the heads-up!

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
I finally got around to watching this series. I'm on episode 9 and enjoying it quite a bit. I think I will not visit this thread again until I watch the final episode, just so as to avoid any possible spoilers. Smile

As you may or may not know, Fargo the series is primarily filmed in and around Calgary, Canada. As I live there, I recognize many of the landmarks and it is amusing seeing some of the older buildings and districts etc. in town being passed off as locations in Fargo etc. While somehow managing to keep all of the shiny new office towers and downtown condo highrises out of frame. Smile
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
The latest Fargo doesn't disappoint! The Coen brothers reinvent violence continuously.
John

Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
^ +1 Smile

Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On Jan 29, 2015, balducci wrote:
I finally got around to watching this series. I'm on episode 9 and enjoying it quite a bit. I think I will not visit this thread again until I watch the final episode, just so as to avoid any possible spoilers. Smile

As you may or may not know, Fargo the series is primarily filmed in and around Calgary, Canada. As I live there, I recognize many of the landmarks and it is amusing seeing some of the older buildings and districts etc. in town being passed off as locations in Fargo etc. While somehow managing to keep all of the shiny new office towers and downtown condo highrises out of frame. Smile

It sounds like you are on Season 1? Season 2 is even better than the first.

TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I missed episode one of season two, so will have to catch up on youtube before watching the other episodes I have recorded. But season one was great.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On Nov 11, 2015, TonyB2009 wrote:
I missed episode one of season two, so will have to catch up on youtube before watching the other episodes I have recorded. But season one was great.

Season 2 is a whole new story. Don't expect a continuation of last season. That may help you get into it a little because the first episode was confusing at first because I couldn't make the connection with last season.

Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Season II has me totally sucked in. Characterization has been paced deliberately and just right. The violence is purposeful and served up in the proper portions at the right time in the viewing meal. The soundtrack is sublime. The cinematography is spot on. Down right awesome television.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Magic from A to Z
View Profile
Elite user
Sweet Home Alabama
479 Posts

Profile of Magic from A to Z
Speaking of purposeful violence, This past Monday night was interesting to see the young fella going into the butcher shop and his gun jamming and knowing his own physical challenge.... Interesting....

It's also interesting to see these actors and actresses attempting to do a North Dakota accent knowing they don't sound that way.

Who do you think pulls off the best accent attempt?
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Actually, the original movie by the Coen brothers was set in Duluth, Minnesota, hence the attempt at the Minnesota accent.

Season 1 also is set in Minnesota as is Season 2. For instance the killing in Season 2 takes place in Minnesota, but German crime family are out of South Dakota or North Dakota, I'm not sure, they travel between all three places. The movie originally was trying to emulate the Minnesota accent almost in a mocking way. The TV series seems to be attempting the same thing. As for the title Fargo, I'm thinking it's just more of the Coen brothers toying with us.

If you haven't seen the original 1996 movie with Frances McDormand (playing a pregnant Minnesota police chief, worth the price of admission just for that), William H. Macy and Steve Buscemi, you owe it to yourself to see it. It will give a whole new meaning to the accents. And it's a great movie.

innermind
View Profile
Regular user
suburban Detroit
154 Posts

Profile of innermind
Quote:
Season 2 is a whole new story. Don't expect a continuation of last season. That may help you get into it a little because the first episode was confusing at first because I couldn't make the connection with last season.

For those who might be unaware... Season Two details a story involving Lou Solverson (Molly's father) in his younger days. So... I guess Season Two can be considered a prequel.

Season One Lou Solverson is portrayed by Keith Carradine:

In Season One, Lou Solverson's daughter Molly is portrayed by Allison Tolman:

Season Two Lou Solverson is portrayed by Patrick Wilson:

David
"Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else." -Will Rogers
Tree
View Profile
Loyal user
Wiggle Wiggle
295 Posts

Profile of Tree
Who would have thought so much stuff happened there like this

great movie and series.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On Nov 13, 2015, innermind wrote:
Quote:

For those who might be unaware... Season Two details a story involving Lou Solverson (Molly's father) in his younger days. So... I guess Season Two can be considered a prequel.

Season One Lou Solverson is portrayed by Keith Carradine:

In Season One, Lou Solverson's daughter Molly is portrayed by Allison Tolman:

Season Two Lou Solverson is portrayed by Patrick Wilson:

David

Good stuff there David, I WAS unaware of all that.

Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Thanks David. I didn't know this backstory. Interesting. I wonder what they'll cook up for season III?
innermind
View Profile
Regular user
suburban Detroit
154 Posts

Profile of innermind
I wonder if Betsy's dad (Sheriff Larrson---portrayed by Ted Danson) is decoding the alien UFO symbols in hopes of finding a cure for his daughter?

Perhaps one or more of the characters are actually extra-terrestrials?

David
"Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else." -Will Rogers
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Oh no you didn't...
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
Based upon recent episodes, any guesses on who will be alive at the end of the season?
John

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Fargo - TV Series (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL