The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » ROPS (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mirokai
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Mirokai
Let talk about ROPS. This is the kind of sleight that we don't discuss to often and I think it is a shame because is a great technique! So here are some questions?
First of all: do you know this move? Do you use this move in your routines? How often? What do you think about it? Who invented it?

Personally I think it’s a great move (some times it even fools me when I do it in front of a mirror) that I use a lot but I think it’s a difficult move to achieve that needs a lot of practice to get the right timing, however when you get it’s just awesome!
I don’t know who the author is, bout I want to know it (this is one of the mean reasons why I do this thread;))

Best,
"Tout ce qui nous arrive de bien et de mal ici-bas était écrit là-haut" Diderot
Slightly Offhand
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Slightly Offhand
The ROPS is a fantastic move, extremely deceptive, invented I believe by Dr Rubinstein. It requires impeccable timing to do convincingly. I use it often, but I don't think think it should be discussed in a forum like this...It takes only a little bit of information to know exactly what this sleight is...of course it is difficult to replicate without having seen it performed...which may lead to poor replication being performed...Anyway, that's just my view of it.
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Read all the threads HERE for the ROPS move.
Click to visit:
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
NOT a fan of it. I just think that it looks too obvious sometimes. I've fooled magicians in the course of routines with it but as far as laypeople they can sometimes retrace what happens. His fingerless retention vanish is much better taught on the Knockout Coin Magic DvDs.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27137 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I like the version in Discoverie of Witchcraft. Also works in a spectator's hand. : note bene... it was the good doctor who cemented the connection between the basic idea and the retention of vision timing technique.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4088 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
I made my reputation in the 80's with the R.O.P.S. move. Until I released it on video, it had been kept strictly underground, shared with only the top close up guys. Its all about the timing. If you don't have the timing down, it will look obvious. Only practice will get you the timing, even though the mechanics aren't that hard. Good luck!
Available at dealers EVERYWHERE - RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
And if anyone (USA ONLY) needs some of the coin stuff used in the book, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com as I have some limited supplies of coins and props used in the book.
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2956 Posts

Profile of fonda57
I think ROPS is fantastic. Im going to devote some serious practice time to that and the fingerless rentention vanish. I really like those knocout coin magic videos.
I j
thimblerig
View Profile
Loyal user
Bellevue, WA
273 Posts

Profile of thimblerig
Michael,
Actually, I have a write up of ROPS in a set of your lecture notes from the 80's, significantly pre-dating the video description. Looking forward to picking up the dvd's soon to see it actually performed.
Regards,
tr
Smile
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4088 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Yes, the notes predated the videos, but they were mostly sold in Europe. Thanks for the kind words.
Available at dealers EVERYWHERE - RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
And if anyone (USA ONLY) needs some of the coin stuff used in the book, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com as I have some limited supplies of coins and props used in the book.
owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
Hi,
Chris Korn has some great ideas for usig the R.O.P.S vanish.
What does it actually stand for?
owen
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2892 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
I can attest to the deceptiveness of this move since Michael FOOLED the heck out of me with it at the New York Magic Symposium in the early '80s. I had no idea what happened. I only learned what was recently on Chris Korn's lecture tape. I haven't tried to master it, but I'll bet it isn't easy.

Mike
Yves Tourigny
View Profile
Veteran user
Somewhere in Quebec
323 Posts

Profile of Yves Tourigny
Daniel, I think that ROPS stand for Retention Open Palm Steal. Ever since I saw this technique when Videonics put them in on video, I have practiced and used them a lot. Many of the techniques that I saw on these videos I use regularly which is more than I can say about any materials, whether written or visual.

The bonus was, and probaly still is, that very few magicians know about it. As for the laymen, the ROPS technique are guaranteed foolers. I am pleased to see that someone like Chris Korn uses these techniques wisely, even though it means that they will be known by too many people. Smile

Yves
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27137 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
When your routine has you putting stuff onto your hand ... the ROPS is context appropriate.

This is the kind of thing that updates the older moves using a wand.

IMHO a great idea and a good tool to have.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
It's a fantastic tool. I use it professionally in two routines, and have found no other vanish that works better at certain points in those routines.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6865 Posts

Profile of Dougini
The very first time I ever did a decent retention, was after practicing the moves taught on that old Videonics tape (vol 4) of Mike Rubinstein's Mastering Coin Magic series...I could never find the first 3 vol's, so I settled for that. Glad I got that, as Roth and Ammar were my only coin authorities, and Mr. Kaufmann's book was never conveniently available to me. Bobo's book has been my main tome, but video-wise, I now MUST obtain that 3 vol DVD Encylopedia set of his...the other DVD (KNOCK-OUT COIN MAGIC SPECIAL EDITION DVD) is a must have...but don't tell too many people! Need SOME exclusivity! LOL!

Doug
owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
Yves,
Thanks, I have been wondering about that for some time.

Owen

P.S. My name is Owen, Daniel is my surname. Just pointing it out, I get that mistake a lot!
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6865 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Ditto, Yves! Thank you!

I had been saying it was called, "Rubinstein's Open Palm Steal"...I stand corrected...glad you posted that!

Doug
Brian Morgan
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of Brian Morgan
I love the ROPS move and since we're on this topic and I was watching the Encyclopedia of Coin Sleights (again) and wanted to tell Dr. Rubinstein that I love his move, the Rubinstein Toss. I have been using a HPC-CPH Sankey routine and will definitly be putting your move into my routine.
Darrin Cook
View Profile
Special user
621 Posts

Profile of Darrin Cook
When I first saw ROPS, I discounted it. Then I came across a problem in a coin trick. I spent days kicking around options, until it finally occurred to me --ROPS.

Most coin vanishes are either false "puts" (i.e. retention vanish) or "takes" (i.e. French drop). ROPS is neither. It is a move that I think should be in the vocabulary of every coin worker. Chris Korn uses it to great effect, vanishing a coin on the offbeat.
owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
I found a description of the ROPS vanish in MAGIC Magazine. it is quite an old copy (2 or 3 years ago, maybe more). it is called the Retention Open Palm Steel, and I had never made the connection that this was the ROPS vanish till this weekend. To think I have been searching for a description for so long and it has been right under my nose!
If anyone wants to know which issue I found it PM me.
Owen
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » ROPS (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL