The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Wizard Magic Review » » Wizard Product Review 205: Go Change, PB&E, Sponge Poo & A Single Needle. (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
David Sangwell
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of David Sangwell
Hi guys,

On this week's show with David Penn and Sean Heydon:

Go Change by N2G and Leo Xing

Get it by Clicking Here!

PB&E by Chris Pilsworth

Get it by Clicking Here!

Sponge Poo by Alan Wong

Get it by Clicking Here!

A Single Needle by Wayne Houchin

Get it by Clicking Here!

Enjoy! Smile

---
David "Scooby" Sangwell

World Magic Shop

BartenderHQ
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Agree totally with your views on PB&E, Sponge Poo. Neither of you mentioned anything about the Go Change envelopes, are they Tyvek or plastic, or just paper. Having a envelop inside another envelope without any reasoning, is very odd to me. Okay for some of the non-advanced people who want to do a "card to" trick. Single Needle, not that impressed with, I think to pull it off as a feature effect, the performer has to be a really salesman and really sell the thing. Why though, go from 5 - 8 needles to only one. Would have been good to have a comment if the method influenced doing this needle trick over the classic string of needles. Also could this method replace the classic method for a finale of needles on a string instead of only one.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I think using one needle is far more interesting and dramatic than using a bunch of them. There's a real focus and tension to the effect. Very theatrical. Love it.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2538 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Go Change:
Hated the envelopes going to the squared pack, and then the immediate reveal. Needs a lot better handling management as, to my way of thinking, doing this as shown in the demos would give an audience a major tip off.

I also don't see why you would want to be gaffed-up to produce a card to impossible location when the same effect can be achieved by sleight of hand and much better methods/locations. And whilst talking of impossible locations, an envelope SEALS - so to produce a playing card from envelopes (irrespective of the amount) that AREN'T sealed is actually card to a POSSIBLE location.

The envelopes themselves actually shout gimmicked-prop in my opinion; and, as mentioned above, if they aren't sealed then what's the actual purpose of using more than one envelope anyway?

Save your pennies and check out the various wallets using Harry Robson's Instant Reset principle for card (or item) to a sealed, examinable envelope. They make this trick look like something you'd receive in a kids magic set.

PB&E:
The guys actually mentioned everything that we were probably already thinking whilst watching the demo.

Nothing wrong with advancing the classics but again, this to my mind doesn't tick that box. The egg bag routine has stood the test of time because it's an easy to follow plot, with lots of convincers. Those convincers could not be undertaken with a paper bag of this nature. And without those convincers of the bag being undeniably empty, and CLEARLY SHOWN to everyone, you've actually lost the ENTIRE purpose of the trick. The paper bag, as mentioned, is just far too big. It kills those moments of impossibility during the egg's initial production, vanish and subsequent re-production. Would you use a 24 inch Jap Box to simply produce a small silk, or a ten foot cage to produce a dove? Of course not - because it simply loses effect. The convincer of the egg bag, as Sean stated, is the impossibility factor of an egg materialising and vanishing from within a small bag just big enough to get your outstretched palm into - that is being clearly and undeniably shown throughout. This is probably the major fail of this paper bag version.

And whilst talking of the paper bag; maybe it was the camera angles, but the interior did not appear to match the exterior. Added to which it looked too 'bulked', or thick, to truly appear what it was meant to actually be - added to which if it was a cheap, innocent paper bag, then why not either simply tear or screw it up and chuck it out to someone at the end of the routine?

I have performed with The Malini Bag, using Ken Brooke's routine and handling in close-up for something like 30 years. This version would not have enough benefit over negatives to make me change direction now. As Dave mentioned - White eggs - never see them in the UK. We have Brown eggs stamped with an expiry date - so I always use them instead. If they feel the egg isn't real, again you are losing significant impact.

Sponge Poo:
Surprised this wasn't released by SansMinds.

I think I'll wait for Version 2 to come out.......with the joke plastic fly attached.

A Single Needle:
Can't see the point! Well, actually I can; albeit there's only the one.

And as there's only the one, how is this honestly taking the string of threaded needles trick forward? What is it adding to the EFFECT? Irrespective of the method, which the audience cares absolutely little or nothing about, this again is a piece of modern-day utter tat. Wayne Houchin has basically taken a classic plot and reduced it to something little more than a puzzle in my opinion. What's he going to release next? How about a Chinese linking ring routine using just two rings? Or maybe One Card Across instead of three? Or even the torn & only partly restored newspaper?

I truly give up where some of these modern-day 'creators' get their brain-farts from.

Thanks for the show guys - and for your time and efforts.
Barry Allen

Over 15 years have now passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1691 Posts

Profile of Markymark
Yet again you hit the nail [or needle] on the head there Merc Man!
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
smullins
View Profile
Special user
United States
678 Posts

Profile of smullins
Http://www.billabbottmagic.com/online-store/PB%26E.html

For the record, bill does sell a brown egg version on his site.
Shawn Mullins

www.MullinsMagic.com
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Now all he needs is a smaller bag, maybe made of cloth, to bring this trick into the 21st Century! Smile
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Well, I think everything has been said. Quite possibly this show is the biggest waste of time. Not one thing worthy of a mention IMO, and as for the sponge poo, what was he on when he dreamed that one up, unbelievable.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Three duds and one potential winner in my book. Don't like the egg bag idea at all and this review didn't change my mind. Pilsworth is great and performed at this years killer Magi-Fest. He brought the house down....but did not do the egg bag. That, to me, was telling.

I have Single Needle. The set up is genius and I like the fairness of the procedure. For me, however, the only real negative is that it's not that visual. If you are going to do this on a stage/platform, I would do Scott Alexander's version so you get 20+ needles on the thread. The glimmer from the needles will show up much better than the incredibly small glimmer off a single needle. For close up or very small groups, single needle can be a winner. For bigger groups, I don't think it's visual enough.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Go Change:

I liked it. There's stronger out there, as Barry has pointed out, but still, I feel it is good. I like the fact that the envelopes are seen from beginning to end. Yes, the envelopes touch the deck, but I believe that for the spec this won't matter much as there is another closed envelope inside that is shown front and back. Doing card to wallet with a Mullica won't be as strong as a palm-load to wallet or, even better, adding a sealed envelope, but it is still good. I thought Go Change was strong, but not strongest. There's room for it.

PB&E:

Not to my liking, but in the right hands I'm sure its great.

Sponge Poo:

Personally, its too cartoonish and not 'instantly recognizeable'(which will be a selling point for some!). To me, if you're going to make it, make it more realistic. But for others, I get that if you're going to use it, it should not be too realistic. I wouldn't use anything like this except for family and close friends, so would prefer something more realistic (and a bit smaller and more brown than it appeared).

LOVED Dave's comment on using it with VAPR! Smile

Single Needle:

For stage - without projection screens - multiple needles would seem a must. However, for a more intimate setting, I think this is great. It is also very simple, very clear-cut magic (as is the multiple needle version). Cellini used only 2 rings from a standard linking ring set of 8 and created what some say is the most beautiful ring experience they have seen. I liked it very much and will consider a purchase - though I don't recall safety issues being mentioned, so I'll want to check that out.

Enjoyed the show.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
CarlMcCoy
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of CarlMcCoy
Merc Man, whilst I realise everyone is entitled to their own opinion and not everything appeals to all...I have to say that your 'review' of A Single Needle is utter tosh. The milage and awe Wayne gets from that single needle in the performance he does in a beer garden and also on a stage is nothing short of amazing. I have this and am in the process of practicing. I know it's going to kill.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Going to amend my thinking on "Go Change". In thinking about what is necessary to add in the way of gimmickery to the deck to accomplish the effect, it is a bit limiting. If you're doing only this effect, or if you do this effect first, ok, but in this case the gimmick not only limits you in certain respects, but it also does not strengthen the effect from what is already out there. It is not something I would likely be interested in (espeially as a wallet Barry's recommended to me some time back is doing just great!).
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2538 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Quote:
On Jun 4, 2014, CarlMcCoy wrote:I have this and am in the process of practicing. I know it's going to kill.

The only way that trick would kill mate is if you inadvertently swallowed it. Smile

However, before you end up in A&E asking to see a doctor who's wearing a rubber glove and a PK ring, maybe you could enlighten some of us just how producing one needle on a thread from your mouth is actually more powerful than producing 10-20?
Barry Allen

Over 15 years have now passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Quote:
On Jun 4, 2014, Merc Man wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 4, 2014, CarlMcCoy wrote:I have this and am in the process of practicing. I know it's going to kill.

The only way that trick would kill mate is if you inadvertently swallowed it. Smile

However, before you end up in A&E asking to see a doctor who's wearing a rubber glove and a PK ring, maybe you could enlighten some of us just how producing one needle on a thread from your mouth is actually more powerful than producing 10-20?

In the same way that Philip Glass is more powerful than Beethoven. Apparently...
Smile
CarlMcCoy
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of CarlMcCoy
Quote:
On Jun 4, 2014, Merc Man wrote:
Quote:

Incredible answer, yet again, from someone who doesn't even own it. The answers you want are in the demo and in the review on WPR. If you can't see it, then nothing I say will help. But for the record, I never said it was more powerful. Whether it is or not is down to how you present it, as with most things.

Knock yourself out with a trite reply. I'm off for a beer.
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2538 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Just got back from many bears myself Carl.

Despite this late hour, I note that you haven't answered by question. I'm asking YOU to answer it - NOT the demos (as they clearly don't). Never mind.

And looking at your previous 30 posts via your profile, I can but assume that you are a 'newbie' to magic given that you are clearly being seduced by so many modern-day 'wonders'.

Indeed, if I was your GP, I'd prescribe a series of Tarbell's in order to improve your knowledge of this art-form. Smile
Barry Allen

Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
WPR...thank you. Another fine show. I miss Craig, but I love the guest hosts no matter whom they're replacing.

Merc Man, your review of the reviews was spot on in this Wiz's opinion. But performances and method aside, I have to wonder - and this is not a challenge, just a "wonder" - do you think that we are thinking as magicians if we compare Single Needle to the traditional multiple needle effect? Sure, millions of folks have seen the traditional performance live, or on TV, but is it as memorable as we think it is? If a single needle effect was performed for me, with the right set-up and presentation, I think I would be impressed.

The props by their very nature are intimate. Needles are still used by everyone, and they are small, able to be swallowed, and just darn sharp...if you have one needle or dozens. I adhere to the Minimalism credo that less is more...make it simple. If I I saw this rather (debatably) obscure effect performed for me in the singular form (one needle) by the right performer, who weaved the right story in the right setting, I think it could be a killer act.

That said, I agree with the previous commentaries. For ANYTHING more than a close up performance, the magician should be totally on top of how her or his audience is seeing the performance. These are tiny props. Even cameras don't pick up ultra-thin strips of metal.

We are dealing with needles here. And a needle and thread in the mouth routine today...up close and personal...is freak and geek stuff and still gets the screams if performed correctly. One needle, two needles, three...a thousand...I'm asking...does it really matter?
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Why is nobody mentioning the obvious? Which is that WH [Smith] can market this thing cheaply and in a targeted way.

Soon, everybody will be swallowing a single needle. Hoorah.

Brilliant. What next? An egg bag with half an egg? Cups and balls with just the one repetitive phase?

Minimalism works well for the minimalists.

Yikes.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I can't believe what I'm reading. Did anyone actually WATCH Wayne perform the effect? That single needle glimmering in the light looks great. Again, tension, suspense, focus. Who cares about 10 or 20 needles? I'd argue that just one is far more interesting. Especially if the conditions are extremely fair, which Dave said they are. So fair he said he was completely fooled by it.

What's the issue here?

Now, Wayne is also an incredibly charismatic performer. Whether or not most magicians will be able to pull this off with the drama and sensuality Wayne brings to it is certainly debatable.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On Jun 4, 2014, tomsk192 wrote:
What next? An egg bag with half an egg? Cups and balls with just the one repetitive phase?

Linking Rings with only 2 rings? Oh, wait... Cellini already did that Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Wizard Magic Review » » Wizard Product Review 205: Go Change, PB&E, Sponge Poo & A Single Needle. (15 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL