The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » AGT 2014 (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10019 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
That's what all true live performance entertainment should be about. Many often fail to understand this.
hypblake
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of hypblake
Quote:
On Jun 12, 2014, Mindpro wrote:
That's what all true live performance entertainment should be about. Many often fail to understand this.

yet so many don't understand. Most entertaining magician I have seen on agt. Cool and calm and blew everyone away with two sponge balls. I loved it! Agt will want "bigger and badder" which is a shame. I hope he sticks to his guns. Masterclass for every magician watching.
hypblake
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of hypblake
Also I find it amusing that there isn't thread after thread of "how did he do that". Sadly this is what people should try and emulate. I guess it's easier to chase the grail though. Good luck with that. Smile
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1351 Posts

Profile of Stucky
Despite how well he did and how charming he was, don't forget, this is TV and everyone reacts how they are told to react. I am not discounting what he did, but there is a reason in the past things have done better than others or vice versa. Don't believe the hype.
Official Thread Killer
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
2939 Posts

Profile of tophatter
Likable & you win your crowd over that's exactly what he did ! The rest just Flows !!
hypblake
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of hypblake
Quote:
On Jun 12, 2014, Stucky wrote:
Despite how well he did and how charming he was, don't forget, this is TV and everyone reacts how they are told to react. I am not discounting what he did, but there is a reason in the past things have done better than others or vice versa. Don't believe the hype.

You are wrong. The crowd is not asked to respond in any special way. They loved what they saw. Easy to follow and understand magic!! Believe the hype smoothini was ENTERTAINING!! Most magicians are mad that his props cost him less than 6 bucks. He wasn't out there with a 700 dollar holy grail. Its like when Blaine busted on the scene and everyone was upset that he was just doing old classics and basic stuff. Haha I love it!!
Mike.Hankins
View Profile
Veteran user
320 Posts

Profile of Mike.Hankins
Quote:
On Jun 13, 2014, hypblake wrote:
Quote:

You are wrong. The crowd is not asked to respond in any special way. They loved what they saw. Easy to follow and understand magic!! Believe the hype smoothini was ENTERTAINING!! Most magicians are mad that his props cost him less than 6 bucks. He wasn't out there with a 700 dollar holy grail. Its like when Blaine busted on the scene and everyone was upset that he was just doing old classics and basic stuff. Haha I love it!!

Actually YOU are wrong...lol.

For ANY show that has a studio audience, there is ALWAYS someone (a PA, a "Hype" person, etc), who cues applause and helps facilitate reactions.
Mike.Hankins

Instagram: MHMagic77

Twitter: @HankinsMagic

FaceBook: Yup!
hypblake
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of hypblake
Quote:
On Jun 13, 2014, Mike.Hankins wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Actually YOU are wrong...lol.

For ANY show that has a studio audience, there is ALWAYS someone (a PA, a "Hype" person, etc), who cues applause and helps facilitate reactions.
hypblake
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of hypblake
Gotcha so a magician can't entertain with those items? Really good to know!! So I was being hyped at home? Along with everyone else watching on TV? Interesting things you can learn here on the Café. Never mind smoothini you suck. I was just being hyped.
Mike.Hankins
View Profile
Veteran user
320 Posts

Profile of Mike.Hankins
Quote:
Gotcha so a magician can't entertain with those items? Really good to know!! So I was being hyped at home? Along with everyone else watching on TV? Interesting things you can learn here on the Café. Never mind smoothini you suck. I was just being hyped.

LOL!

A Magician CAN entertain with those items. It's been done for hundreds of years...

I am NOT saying that what he did was NOT great. He did an AWESOME job!

I was simply stating a fact. I have a friend who works for Saturday Night Live. I have been on that set many times. They have production assistants who cue the audience when to cheer at something or when to start or stop applauding. The laughter comes naturally, yes, but there is a cue person.

Same thing with ANY TV show which has a live studio audience...
Mike.Hankins

Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2488 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Nothing wrong with a prompter. The bottom line is that he did very well. I personally don't like Blaine, but he got the TV gig worked it and made a ton of money. Problem is envy.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
hypblake
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of hypblake
I doubt they need much of a prompt to boo or cheer. You can tell when they like what they see.
Mike.Hankins
View Profile
Veteran user
320 Posts

Profile of Mike.Hankins
Quote:
I doubt they need much of a prompt to boo or cheer. You can tell when they like what they see.

Yea it seems that way. Kind of a let down when you actually sit in on these studio audiences and you find out that you are TOLD what to do...
Mike.Hankins

Cassidy001
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of Cassidy001
Smoothini did a great job with the simplest of props. He made it very entertaining and he was very likable. He was also very humble. I hope that he has a f rey good future.
"You want to know the secret of the world. It's this: save it, and it'll repay you, every second of every day."
--Axel Brass
hypblake
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of hypblake
Quote:
On Jun 13, 2014, Mike.Hankins wrote:
Quote:

Yea it seems that way. Kind of a let down when you actually sit in on these studio audiences and you find out that you are TOLD what to do...

So you have personally sat in on the filming of an AGT show? I know many that have.
Mike.Hankins
View Profile
Veteran user
320 Posts

Profile of Mike.Hankins
Yea in NYC, first time Howard Stern was there...
Mike.Hankins

GordonTheHypnotist
View Profile
Elite user
Don't Read This Sign
495 Posts

Profile of GordonTheHypnotist
I went to a couple of tapings in Chicago of last season. They told us that if we didn't like something to stand up and cross our arms in an X but if we liked something to let the judges know that we liked it by cheering very loudly. They want to get the crowd hyped up either way. But we were never told to specifically boo or cheer any one act. In the four hours that I was there we found ourselves cheering for the ones who had a small amount of talent because most acts did not. I remember this girl came out to sing and she was just okay but the crowd got on her side because she was the first act in about an hour and a half that was decent. Howard actually said "I don't think this girl is ready for a competition like this and the stress will be too much for her to handle, but the crowd likes her so yeah I'll give her a shot". Ultimately he was right and she got booted the next round. But we were never told who to like or dislike. We were just told whichever way we leaned make sure to be animated about it and to be louder and louder. It is a tedious process because it is at least 10-15 minutes between acts. Meanwhile you got Howard with his hair dresser making sure every strand of hair is in its perfect place, Mel B on her cell phone texting. Howie usually goofing with random audience members. They have bad audience trivia and you rarely see Nick Cannon because he is filming those in the wings side conversations you see now and then.
Gullibility is an attractive quality in people
hypblake
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of hypblake
Quote:
On Jun 16, 2014, GordonTheHypnotist wrote:
I went to a couple of tapings in Chicago of last season. They told us that if we didn't like something to stand up and cross our arms in an X but if we liked something to let the judges know that we liked it by cheering very loudly. They want to get the crowd hyped up either way. But we were never told to specifically boo or cheer any one act. In the four hours that I was there we found ourselves cheering for the ones who had a small amount of talent because most acts did not. I remember this girl came out to sing and she was just okay but the crowd got on her side because she was the first act in about an hour and a half that was decent. Howard actually said "I don't think this girl is ready for a competition like this and the stress will be too much for her to handle, but the crowd likes her so yeah I'll give her a shot". Ultimately he was right and she got booted the next round. But we were never told who to like or dislike. We were just told whichever way we leaned make sure to be animated about it and to be louder and louder. It is a tedious process because it is at least 10-15 minutes between acts. Meanwhile you got Howard with his hair dresser making sure every strand of hair is in its perfect place, Mel B on her cell phone texting. Howie usually goofing with random audience members. They have bad audience trivia and you rarely see Nick Cannon because he is filming those in the wings side conversations you see now and then.

I've never been, but everyone I have ever talked to has reported something similar. That is why I found it odd others here were saying they had prompters when they saw it.
innermind
View Profile
Regular user
suburban Detroit
154 Posts

Profile of innermind
Last night's episode featured a very good audition from magician Mat Franco. He did a card story routine, so if you enjoy Bill Malone's Sam the Bellhop routine, you should like Mat Franco's audition.

Nicely done!
"Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else." -Will Rogers
Mike.Hankins
View Profile
Veteran user
320 Posts

Profile of Mike.Hankins
Quote:
On Jun 18, 2014, innermind wrote:
Last night's episode featured a very good audition from magician Mat Franco. He did a card story routine, so if you enjoy Bill Malone's Sam the Bellhop routine, you should like Mat Franco's audition.

Nicely done!

This kid nailed it too!! Good for him!
Mike.Hankins

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » AGT 2014 (17 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL