The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » AGT 2014 (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Corey K
View Profile
Special user
Rhode Island
504 Posts

Profile of Corey K
Mat has been a good friend of mine for many years. If anyone deserves this it's him! Can't wait to see what he has in store for is next time.
Steve Suss
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Steve Suss
Bravo! Great job!!!
Steve
magic1178
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of magic1178
Solid and personal.
Bravo Smile
Derek Johnston
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2489 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
His script was right on. Writing the script like that was the real magic.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
TCB
View Profile
Loyal user
I am so happy to be promoted because of my
210 Posts

Profile of TCB
That was a terrific performance by Mat Franco. It would seem like that trick took tons of practice and very good memorization skills
There Is No Revolution Without Evolution
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Inner circle
Changing the world with my
1279 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Well you couldn't watch that without smiling..Great stuff.
TCB
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of TCB
Quote:
On Jun 18, 2014, innermind wrote:
Last night's episode featured a very good audition from magician Mat Franco. He did a card story routine, so if you enjoy Bill Malone's Sam the Bellhop routine, you should like Mat Franco's audition.

Nicely done!

He certainly took Sam the Bellhop to a different level.I guess it's never a bad thing to take a great routine , and make it even better by adding new moves to it
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10019 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Another example of great scripting combined with a great performance personality. Strong audition.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5942 Posts

Profile of george1953
Nice story line, I love the storytelling deck routines.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Great job Smooth! Continued success on the road and on the show Devil Dog!

Hit me up when you get back to San Diego and please say, "Hi" to the gang
at Wonderground for me Brother!
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20428 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Guys it is television. It is what it is. Audiences are told what to do, have been for decades. Get over it. They take NO CHANCES on anything. Too much money involved. Don't forget the editing.

Now that says NOTHING about any of the acts. Not a single word. They can nail it, and the above STILL BE TRUE.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TCB
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of TCB
Quote:
On Jun 23, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
Guys it is television. It is what it is. Audiences are told what to do, have been for decades. Get over it. They take NO CHANCES on anything. Too much money involved. Don't forget the editing.

Now that says NOTHING about any of the acts. Not a single word. They can nail it, and the above STILL BE TRUE.

So true, years ago I was in Hollywood for the television series "In Concert". It was at an old theater in Hollywood called the Aquarius. It was absolutly free for us locals to get in, and you got to see the great acts of the day. The downside was you had to sit and wait an eternity between acts. You also had to endure these sesions where they filmed the crowd going crazy. This wasn't in response to any act. The producers would come out, and say " OK folks when I throw up my hands in the air, I want you to go crazy like you are out of your mind. Yell, scream, whistle, clap, just go crazy. They would use those segments on the show. Does anybody remember "In Concert"? It was on the ABC network in the 70's.
mfranco77
View Profile
New user
Rhode Island
9 Posts

Profile of mfranco77
Hi everyone,

I genuinely appreciate your kind words! Thank you for being awesome and recognizing an honest effort that was put forth for this performance. As most of you know, this routine would not have been possible without studying Bill Malone, who popularized the Sam the Bellhop plot on a global scale in 1994 on the first World's Greatest Magic special on NBC. After years of studying card story routines, Malone's presentation has always remained my favorite, and it's super flattering to hear people even putting his version and mine in the same sentence. Reading your thoughtful comments is significantly more pleasant than reading YouTube comments; that's something I'll need to learn to avoid. haha!

Really, thank you very much!

- Mat Franco
TCB
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of TCB
Quote:
On Jun 12, 2014, hypblake wrote:
Also I find it amusing that there isn't thread after thread of "how did he do that". Sadly this is what people should try and emulate. I guess it's easier to chase the grail though. Good luck with that. Smile

Why would there be thread after thread about how he did it. We don't give away method here. Besides to most magi those are well known tricks
TCB
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of TCB
Quote:
On Jun 26, 2014, mfranco77 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I genuinely appreciate your kind words! Thank you for being awesome and recognizing an honest effort that was put forth for this performance. As most of you know, this routine would not have been possible without studying Bill Malone, who popularized the Sam the Bellhop plot on a global scale in 1994 on the first World's Greatest Magic special on NBC. After years of studying card story routines, Malone's presentation has always remained my favorite, and it's super flattering to hear people even putting his version and mine in the same sentence. Reading your thoughtful comments is significantly more pleasant than reading YouTube comments; that's something I'll need to learn to avoid. haha!

Really, thank you very much!

- Mat Franco

Mat excellent performance, you blew everybody away! It's true here we try to encourage one and other, while you tube has a bunch of idots that will say anything just to be ******. One thing I would like to know is, Did the show help you with the card sized pictures of the judges, or did you do that on your own?
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2489 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On Jun 26, 2014, TCB wrote:
Quote:
Also I find it amusing that there isn't thread after thread of "how did he do that". Sadly this is what people should try and emulate. I guess it's easier to chase the grail though. Good luck with that. Smile

Why would there be thread after thread about how he did it. We don't give away method here. Besides to most magi those are well known tricks

What was new here was his presentation. I once remember Doc Eason's deck really getting messed up during a performance of Sam the Bellhop. His adlibing was one of the funniest routines I have ever seen. The ability to carry on as if nothing happened was priceless. Matt did an awesome job and I'm guessing he got the pictures off the Internet.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
TCB
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of TCB
Quote:
On Jun 26, 2014, Steven Conner wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 26, 2014, TCB wrote:
Quote:

What was new here was his presentation. I once remember Doc Eason's deck really getting messed up during a performance of Sam the Bellhop. His adlibing was one of the funniest routines I have ever seen. The ability to carry on as if nothing happened was priceless. Matt did an awesome job and I'm guessing he got the pictures off the Internet.

I hear what your saying about the internet Steven. My thinking was a big network show like that has people that are there just to help with stuff like that. I figured all Mat would have had to do was tell a producer, I need a picture of all four judges the exact size of a playing card SmileThis makes even more sense when you think about the fact that the pictures used, would probably need to be approved by the talent. Especially Howard, who is very picky about what pictures of him are used. This is because certain light,or angles , make him look like a buzzard Smile
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2489 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Yeah, I agree.
mfranco77
View Profile
New user
Rhode Island
9 Posts

Profile of mfranco77
Thanks again y'all. I had to create the card pictures myself. I used Internet photos for my initial version that I pitched for the show. Once we knew it would be shot for TV, I was provided with 'approved' images via email to use, so I had to print those and recreate the card photos.
TCB
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of TCB
Quote:
On Jun 28, 2014, mfranco77 wrote:
Thanks again y'all. I had to create the card pictures myself. I used Internet photos for my initial version that I pitched for the show. Once we knew it would be shot for TV, I was provided with 'approved' images via email to use, so I had to print those and recreate the card photos.

Thanks for the insight Mat. You were terrific, and absolutely cool, calm, and in control in a situation where one slip up could have been a disaster. We are waiting for your next performance with baited breath. Knock them dead Brother!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » AGT 2014 (17 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL