The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » AGT 2014 (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
David French
View Profile
Veteran user
360 Posts

Profile of David French
I am pleased for all the magicians on the show this year and in years past. Very nice that AGT is allowing more close up magic this year. Seems years ago, they told contestants that they wanted large illusions.

Too bad Scott Alexander is not part of this post, he could enlighten us.
innermind
View Profile
Regular user
suburban Detroit
154 Posts

Profile of innermind
Four magic/mentalism acts successfully made the cut for the final 48.


http://www.nbc.com/americas-got-talent/cast/season-9



Congrats to:
Smoothini
David and Leeman
Mat Franco
Mike Super (and Desmond)

Plus a fifth act if you count the eight-year-old playing card thrower, Dominic.




David
"Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else." -Will Rogers
BCE
View Profile
Loyal user
255 Posts

Profile of BCE
Quote:
On Jul 23, 2014, innermind wrote:
Four magic/mentalism acts successfully made the cut for the final 48.


http://www.nbc.com/americas-got-talent/cast/season-9



Congrats to:
Smoothini
David and Leeman
Mat Franco
Mike Super (and Desmond)

Plus a fifth act if you count the eight-year-old playing card thrower, Dominic.




David


SPOILER ALERT would be nice. (Isn't the unwritten rule a few days out?) Now, I have to "forget" who's who when I'm watching it. Smile
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2661 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
What happened to Rogue? He passed the audition with his staple gun roulette act but I did not see him in the second round.
innermind
View Profile
Regular user
suburban Detroit
154 Posts

Profile of innermind
Quote:
On Jul 24, 2014, Mind Guerrilla wrote:
What happened to Rogue? He passed the audition with his staple gun roulette act but I did not see him in the second round.


It was a strange two-night 2nd round broadcast because.................
...............The broadcast did not show the fate of many 2nd round performers such as Rogue, Smoothini, and Mike Super. The only way to see if those folks made the final 48 cut was to view the list at the web link I provided in my previous post. (Mike Super had to perform in the 2nd round, and his performance was shown on TV, but his fate wasn't divulged on the broadcast.......also, Both Rogue's, and Smoothini's 2nd round performances were not even broadcast, and the only way to know their fate was to check the online list).

At the beginning of the episode, David and Leeman, and little Dominic did not even have to perform in the 2nd round because they were deemed so good by the judges that they were sent directly through to the final 48. Perhaps this happened to Smoothini too, but his 2nd round fate wasn't mentioned on the broadcast, but if you look online, he is obviously on the final 48 list...whereas Rogue is NOT on the list.

Therefore, because of the lack of information given in the 2nd round broadcasts, I feel I didn't spoil anything (because viewers who watched the 2nd round broadcasts would be scratching their head, wondering about the fate of some of the contestants)......rather, I listed the magic acts who made the final 48 because the broadcast failed to properly inform the viewers. Perhaps NBC purposely does this in order to force people to visit their AGT website (in order to increase website hits), and thus, make their web advertisers happy?





David
"Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else." -Will Rogers
BCE
View Profile
Loyal user
255 Posts

Profile of BCE
Quote:
On Jul 24, 2014, innermind wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 24, 2014, Mind Guerrilla wrote:
What happened to Rogue? He passed the audition with his staple gun roulette act but I did not see him in the second round.


It was a strange two-night 2nd round broadcast because.................
...............The broadcast did not show the fate of many 2nd round performers such as Rogue, Smoothini, and Mike Super. The only way to see if those folks made the final 48 cut was to view the list at the web link I provided in my previous post. (Mike Super had to perform in the 2nd round, and his performance was shown on TV, but his fate wasn't divulged on the broadcast.......also, Both Rogue's, and Smoothini's 2nd round performances were not even broadcast, and the only way to know their fate was to check the online list).

At the beginning of the episode, David and Leeman, and little Dominic did not even have to perform in the 2nd round because they were deemed so good by the judges that they were sent directly through to the final 48. Perhaps this happened to Smoothini too, but his 2nd round fate wasn't mentioned on the broadcast, but if you look online, he is obviously on the final 48 list...whereas Rogue is NOT on the list.

Therefore, because of the lack of information given in the 2nd round broadcasts, I feel I didn't spoil anything (because viewers who watched the 2nd round broadcasts would be scratching their head, wondering about the fate of some of the contestants)......rather, I listed the magic acts who made the final 48 because the broadcast failed to properly inform the viewers. Perhaps NBC purposely does this in order to force people to visit their AGT website (in order to increase website hits), and thus, make their web advertisers happy?


David


This is true (and hence, no gripes here about any pre-results spoilers Smile) Whoever edited the show for broadcast did a very choppy job, jumping from "act category" to category, from magic to dancers to whoever else and yes, I also wondered what happened to Smoothini. I wish they would have started some of the 'judgment week' stuff last week instead of the reruns because of what I have seen so far, it was a very poorly-directed show (I'm referring to the NBC broadcast, not any of the performers.) And I thought some contestants could apply via "Today Show" video? Did any magicians apply via "Today Show" video? So, I'm guessing a true SPOILER ALERT might not be necessary until some of the live shows where everyone is (let's hope) accounted-for.
MikeSuper
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of MikeSuper
Thanks for the congrats innermind!
Truly appreciate it!
TyTheMagician
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of TyTheMagician
I think there are some great magicians on AGT this year. All four that made it through were very deserving, in my opinion. I really liked seeing some close up guys like Mat Franco and Smoothini make it through.

MikeSuper, your performance in judgement week fooled me BADLY.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2490 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Matt nailed it again tonight. This could be the start of a really good thing for him.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
786 Posts

Profile of Snidini
One important thing to remember folks is that if any of these great acts are to go through, we must all do our job and VOTE!
Jbond207
View Profile
New user
Mount Vernon, IN
47 Posts

Profile of Jbond207
I enjoyed watching Mike Super. He did some neat stuff. I was wondering though about his use of "Desmond." Is that getting close to spiritualism? Is that something magicians should promote? I perform a lot for kids and schools. I always try to make a point that my "magic" comes from reading, hard work and practice. I think I would get some concerned parents if I started using a spirit friend. With that said, Mike Super was very entertaining and I don't really believe tat many people bought into the whole "Desmond" thing. What do others think about presenting a "spirit" as being real? Just wondering.
innermind
View Profile
Regular user
suburban Detroit
154 Posts

Profile of innermind
The semi-finals (final 20 contestants/acts) are set.

http://www.nbc.com/americas-got-talent/cast/season-9

Congrats to the three magic acts successfully making the semi-finals:

- David and Leeman
- Mat Franco
- Smoothini







David
"Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else." -Will Rogers
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10024 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Aug 20, 2014, Jbond207 wrote:
I enjoyed watching Mike Super. He did some neat stuff. I was wondering though about his use of "Desmond." Is that getting close to spiritualism? Is that something magicians should promote? I perform a lot for kids and schools. I always try to make a point that my "magic" comes from reading, hard work and practice. I think I would get some concerned parents if I started using a spirit friend. With that said, Mike Super was very entertaining and I don't really believe tat many people bought into the whole "Desmond" thing. What do others think about presenting a "spirit" as being real? Just wondering.


I agree with your thoughts on Desmond. Mike is a likable guy but seesm wishy washy to me. He also won Phonomenon on NBC a few years ago as a "mentalist". While I like him, I feel audience find him confusing. On Phenomenom he was too magicy and on AGT the whole Desmond thing I didn't care for.

I think on these show you are looking for good mass-appeal commercial material that can strike a cord with the judges, studio audience in the theater and the home viewers. Desmond was a premise (the whole spirit thing) that is far-fetched, unbelievable and of course carries religious connotations to many. I'm not sure I would choose it at this point of the competition if I was concerned with wanting to move on. At least during the earlier rounds you only have to convince three of the judges, but at this point it seemed like a bad move to me.

The whole spirit thing does not play well to the masses.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2490 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
I enjoyed last night as well as watching the ellusionists. The biggest problem I have with AGT is it should be for amateurs and not professionals. There are several Pro's that's been on there and didn't go that far, such as Kevin, Jonathan, Scott just to mention a few. All of these have been on the big stage and made the really big money. Just my opinion.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10024 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Yeah I agree with this, and yet I think to many regular home viewers they do not always realize it, even though it is often mentioned in the pre-performance interviews.
Jbond207
View Profile
New user
Mount Vernon, IN
47 Posts

Profile of Jbond207
Mindpro -
I agree with what you say about selecting material that resonates with the judges. I think the choice of several of this year's magicians to do close-up at the judges table and/or use judges as volunteers is a good one. If you can do magic that emotionally connects with the judges you, in my opinion, stand a greater chance of getting a strong emotional reaction from the judges. I think this is key in a competition, not only in the early rounds but also in the later ones. I love the big stage illusions but it is difficult to get the same emotional response from the judges as David and Leeman, Matt Franco, and Smoothini did. The reaction from the judges not only affects their own vote but also the viewing audience. The look on Howie's face when he pulled the card from his back pocket was priceless and almost guaranteed that Franco would advance. All three of the magic acts that are moving on have been great. Hat's off to them. (Top hat of course.)
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10024 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
The problem with the closeup stuff is it can play well during the audition rounds, but where the trouble comes in is later in the competition where the focus becomes more about who can headline and carry a Las Vegas show. Closeup is not very conducive to this and when compared to other larger acts, closeup magic will likely lose out.

The close up is a great starting point and way to get the judges attention and on your side, but they must evolve beyond that to stand a real chance.
Mike.Hankins
View Profile
Veteran user
320 Posts

Profile of Mike.Hankins
I'm surprised that they aren't throwing a large projector screen for all in the audience to see. (Including the judges).
Mike.Hankins

Instagram: MHMagic77

Twitter: @HankinsMagic

FaceBook: Yup!
innermind
View Profile
Regular user
suburban Detroit
154 Posts

Profile of innermind
Four Wild Card acts have been selected/brought back to join the 20 semi-finalists to increase the field to 24 contestants.

http://www.nbc.com/americas-got-talent/cast/season-9


Congrats to Mike Super for being brought back as one of the four Wild Card acts.

Semi final #1 live broadcast is tonight.








David
"Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else." -Will Rogers
innermind
View Profile
Regular user
suburban Detroit
154 Posts

Profile of innermind
Both magic acts (Mike Super and David & Leeman) which took part in semi-final #1 Tuesday night made it through to the final 12.

Congrats.



Next Tuesday is semi final #2, and two more magic acts will take part in that competition broadcast...Mat Franco and Smoothini. Good luck to both of them.








David
"Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else." -Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » AGT 2014 (17 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL